On Demand question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I loaded an on demand movie and watched half of it. I planed on watching the second half the next day. When I went to finish the movie it kicked me back to the start, rather than where I left off. I could not fast forward to the spot I had left either. I had to sit through all the commercials from the very beginning in order to get to the point I wanted to resume the movie. Is this right? I would think you could resume from the point of stopping the movie like you can with the dvr feature and most DVD players. Am I doing something wrong?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I loaded an on demand movie and watched half of it. I planed on watching the second half the next day. When I went to finish the movie it kicked me back to the start, rather than where I left off. I could not fast forward to the spot I had left either. I had to sit through all the commercials from the very beginning in order to get to the point I wanted to resume the movie. Is this right? I would think you could resume from the point of stopping the movie like you can with the dvr feature and most DVD players. Am I doing something wrong?
I had this happen once. Given those damnable non-skippable commercials, I decided to rent the DVD instead. :(

I am new to VOD, too. I guess your dvr kept recording when you went to bed. I experienced the same thing. Power outage that lasted few seconds kicked me off the streaming. And ,the following day I couldn't fast forward when I wanted to finish the movie.. I had to start from the beginning. Free VOD movies are a bonus, we have to accept that some have commercials and remote limitations that won't allow fast forward.

I agree, they are a bonus and I have watched quite a few, commercials and all. However, I have watched the movies straight through from start to finish. But the last one I watched I stopped about half way through, hoping to pick up where I left off the next day. I don't mind the commercials but I would have liked to have been able to start where I left off. Instead, I have to start the movie from the beginning again. DVR recorded movies allow you to start where you left off and so do most DVD players. What I don't understand is why the On Demand movies make you start at the beginning.

What I don't understand is why the On Demand movies make you start at the beginning.
My guess is Dish engineers focus on what most subscribers do with their devices and improve software.Perhaps, movie providers have an agreement with Dish that skipping commercials are much more difficult to do. But, resume feature that does not currently work has nothing to do with.
Hallmark channel vod movies are generally pretty cheasy, but likely commercial free. With TBS, you're stuck.

Just depends on the channel. Some have commercials you can’t fast forward. Some restart if you stop and try to pick up later - and you can’t even fast forward to where you left off. I think it has to do with the licensing. Comcast has the exact same thing happen with their OnDemand.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

• Sad
Looks like we have to live with it. From now on I will schedule my watching of an on Demand movie for when I can watch it completely from start to finish.

Seems to apply more to network channels - like TBS, SciFi, NBC, etc that have commercials. Pure movie channels like Starz, Encore, Showtime - they don’t have this issue. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: shortspark
I was watching an on demand syfy movie a couple of days ago and 3/4 of the way through i needed to pause it for some reason but couldnt. then it all screwed up and i had to reset the hopper. after resetting it, i had to start the movie over and couldn't fast forward, but i did notice that i could skip ahead the 30 seconds at a time so i just did that multiple times but everytime it was commercial time, i HAD to watch them. It didn't take me long to get back to where i had been before the screwup so that i could finish the movie.

Yep, that is what I complained about in my first post. It is not worth it unless you commit to the movie from start to finish. If you come back tomorrow to watch where you left off you will have to go through all the commercials again. Crazy!

• Angry
Today, wifey wanted to stream Black Panther movie from tbs. Lots of commercials of course. I was able to skip them 30-60 seconds at a time. I also was able to press pause button to answer phone or go to the bathroom. No interruptions, nothing messed up. It was a relief.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts