On-Screen Channel Information

todkbear

Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
ca
I've had Dish Network for a month now. When ever I change the channel on my Vip 722, the channel information banner across the top never goes away. I have to hit the cancel button to clear the screen. I've been through all the menus and manuals with no luck. Any ideas?

To change remote address press menu. Twice and hold sat button until all lights flash and press a number then pound the sat light will flash three times then press record..... tada

I unplugged it for ten seconds pluged it back in and it won't power up. I can hear the hard drive making a light clicking sound (like a stuck armature). Nothing works now.

I've only had Dish Network for a month and I am so ready to go back to cable!

I've only had Dish Network for a month and I am so ready to go back to cable!
Ahh. Trouble free cable. lol Why did you leave cable for Dish?

(I wouldn't concern myself with the IR address. I would try the un-plug route again. The few other times I have seen this problem posted, the solution was to reset the receiver IIRC.)

Last edited:
(I wouldn't concern myself with the IR address. I would try the un-plug route again. The few other times I have seen this problem posted, the solution was to reset the receiver IIRC.)

I mentioned changing the remote address because it's a known fix for the problem. Hopefully it comes back on for you.

I mentioned changing the remote address because it's a known fix for the problem. Hopefully it comes back on for you.
I had not seen this "fix" posted before. Did I miss it? (If it is a "fix" known to Dish CSRs, I wonder if the OP had phoned Dish for help.)

I assume that the wish for "it comes back for you" was directed to the OP - I've never had the problem.

I had not seen this "fix" posted before. Did I miss it? (If it is a "fix" know to Dish, I wonder if the OP had phoned Dish for help.)

I assume that the wish for "it comes back for you" was directed to the OP - I've never had the problem.

It was for the OP. Hard reset is in pretty much every troubleshooting step as well (especially for power issues), but changing remote address is known to help info banner pop-ups.

It was for the OP. Hard reset is in pretty much every troubleshooting step as well (especially for power issues), but changing remote address is known to help info banner pop-ups.

Now I'm really confused. IF the OP had called a Dish CSR he would have been told to do both a hard reset and then an IR address change.

If he had not called a CSR and came here (first) it sounds like suggesting a Power Reset as someone did above was solid advice.

Your response did not address my question about having missed posts here suggesting a link between IR address and info banner hangups. Has this fix been posted here before?

Just trying to learn.

Didn't mean to ignore your question, but I honestly don't know if its been posted here before (DIRT has only been here for 3 months-ish). I also didn't mean for it to sound like a hard reset was not good advice, was only trying to provide an additional step if the HR did not make a difference.

Didn't mean to ignore your question, but I honestly don't know if its been posted here before (DIRT has only been here for 3 months-ish). I also didn't mean for it to sound like a hard reset was not good advice, was only trying to provide an additional step if the HR did not make a difference.

Thank you!

(DIRT has only been here for 3 months-ish).

That's quite an acronym you've got there lol.

As for the OP. Try power cycling the receiver again, if it won't turn on, sounds like you've got a dead receiver, gonna need to set up an exchange. As for the whole cable thing, personally even with a broken receiver I think that DISH is better than cable lol.

That's quite an acronym you've got there lol.

As for the OP. Try power cycling the receiver again, if it won't turn on, sounds like you've got a dead receiver, gonna need to set up an exchange. As for the whole cable thing, personally even with a broken receiver I think that DISH is better than cable lol.
Agree with you on the DIRT ... :) sometimes just fun to say
Also agree about Dish to Cable ... at least in my area. You see.. some of us get whats left over from the Rigas scandals and what Comcast was willing to take on. Namely the "bottom half" of the stations are analog, the top half are digital ... and some very good stations were in the bottom half of that arrangement. Who wants to spend 120 a month and not get or have the potential to get DD 5.1 surround on all 'cable' channels? or even have a box from cable that only outputs an optical signal if the channel came in on the digital side (ie. no upmix of audio outputs into the digital optical cable, thereby requiring that you have both optical and RCA hooked to your AV receiver to get anything ... yeah, not bitter there ;) )

I would hope that you might get the original installation company to come out and troubleshoot/fix, but doubtful that dish would spring for it right off the bat, maybe the 2nd or 3rd replacement if/when you demand they check things.. but even then dish is all too likely to blame your horrible ground, or your electrical outlets, etc.. I went through 4 625 DVR's ... the first died after 6 months, the 2nd dead within a week, 3rd lasted a few months and then the 4th lasted about 2 years when I upgraded to HD.

YMMV but have been 99% happy with dish so long as I don't have to call them, and now with HD and Sling Adapters and the dishonline & VOD and general watch online side of things.. I've been less than 50% happy, and 1 in 6 phone calls, 1 in 6 or 7 chats, have been fruitful .. the rest nearly useless. The best thing about Dish, when it works, it works well ... when there's problems, or atleast with their "on line" presence, its been 3 months, and issues still haven't been resolved. And I did take note over the past 2/3 days Dish Remote Access was updated, multiple problems still not handled/fixed.