On the fence, Hopper with Sling vs Genie plus Nomad

Not possible, the video is converted to a different format. Read above.
Yes the HWS does convert the file to a different format, but for what I understand, until you transfer it to your iPad, it keeps both the original recording from the stream on the hard drive AND the converted iPad copy on the hard drive, but you only see the original. When you transfer it, that is when it deletes both the original and converted show once it is transferred to the iPad.

Concerning DRM and multiple copies of the file, I bet that when a DRMed file is deleted from the hopper's drive, it doesn't write 0's over that area, it deletes the entry and marks those sectors on the drive as free, but the data is still there. I don't know for sure, but I bet the hard drive in the hoppers is also encrypted so it can't be read in a standard computer. Instead of deleting the file, mark the file hidden from the list, and encrypt the data. If the drive is already encrypted then that's double encryption for that one file. Then, when you want to transfer the show back, it will delete it from the iPad, and unhide the file.

Good discussion, but can anyone who has either one (HWS or Nomad) either confirm or deny the specifics? Particularly "premium" content (I’m mainly concerned about the original series) or how to determine which ones will be deleted automatically from the host DVR. Again, that's my main question. Nomad has been around for a while, so someone has had to come across this situation. HWS is new but I'm hoping someone may have one, trying to do the same thing. I would start a new post in a different area, but I don't want to be one of "those guys" who keeps asking the same question in different threads.

Dish does say that the converted content is valid for 30 days (http://www.mydish.com/support/hoppertransfers?WT.svl=gsearch_results), and can be extended if the iPad reconnects to the same network.

DirecTV says similar (http://forums.directv.com/pe/action...PostID=10951087&channelID=1&portalPageId=1002).

But neither really describe what happens to the original file on the DVR or how to determine which ones would be deleted from the host DVR. Let's say certain files are deleted from the DVR when it's converted, automagically (speculation). After 30 days, it's suddenly gone from both locations? That's not a feature. Nothing that I've recorded on my DVR currently expires. Because I want to temporarily place-shift it it suddenly gets an expiration date?

I guess a workaround is to simply have the DVR record 2 instances of the same program and prepare 1 for transfer, let it automatically delete the "first one" and leave the 2nd on behind. Seems rather backwards and clunky but it would get around the draconian restrictions set by ill-informed media executives. :rolleyes:

That last might be just the way to do it. I hadn't thought of that.

The HWS does delete the DRM'd shows from what I've read and tried, but I've seen nothing official that says much at all about it.

Nomad clients will delete a transferred program 30 days after the transfer. But the transcoded recording stays on nomad until it's deleted from the HD DVR, so if it's on the source HD DVR for a year it will stay on nomad for a year, unless nomad deletes it because of running out of internal memory. Nomad comes with 16GB of internal storage but has USB ports so you can add memory, i've had a 1TB drive on mine.

Nomad handles HDCP/DRM programs the same as non DRM programs so yes you can transfer a HBO program to a nomad client(s). It won't do DIRECTV on Demand recordings or OTA channels.

And remember you can have up to 5 nomad clients and you can copy the same transcoded recording to all 5 clients at the same time if you want.

At this time only HBO and MAX content will delete from the Hopper if you transfer it to the iPad. If I transfer a movie to my iPad and don't view it or open the app for 30 days, then it will expire. So to avoid that, open the app while at home. I have not had any issues with this app or transfers or content deleting on its own. None of my content has deleted from the iPad for none use. Again, only HBO and MAX content will delete from the hard drive, all other content will leave a copy for viewing on the Hopper.

Good discussion, but can anyone who has either one (HWS or Nomad) either confirm or deny the specifics? Particularly "premium" content (I’m mainly concerned about the original series) or how to determine which ones will be deleted automatically from the host DVR. Again, that's my main question. Nomad has been around for a while, so someone has had to come across this situation. HWS is new but I'm hoping someone may have one, trying to do the same thing. I would start a new post in a different area, but I don't want to be one of "those guys" who keeps asking the same question in different threads.

Dish does say that the converted content is valid for 30 days (http://www.mydish.com/support/hoppertransfers?WT.svl=gsearch_results), and can be extended if the iPad reconnects to the same network.

DirecTV says similar (http://forums.directv.com/pe/action...PostID=10951087&channelID=1&portalPageId=1002).

But neither really describe what happens to the original file on the DVR or how to determine which ones would be deleted from the host DVR. Let's say certain files are deleted from the DVR when it's converted, automagically (speculation). After 30 days, it's suddenly gone from both locations? That's not a feature. Nothing that I've recorded on my DVR currently expires. Because I want to temporarily place-shift it it suddenly gets an expiration date?

I guess a workaround is to simply have the DVR record 2 instances of the same program and prepare 1 for transfer, let it automatically delete the "first one" and leave the 2nd on behind. Seems rather backwards and clunky but it would get around the draconian restrictions set by ill-informed media executives. :rolleyes:

for the HWS, when you go into the iPad app to transfer the show to the iPad, it tells you that transferring it will delete it off the hopper, proceed, Yes or No. I haven't had the HWS long enough to know what happens after 30 days. I bet that when you play a DRMed show on the Hopper, it checks in the background if you still subscribe to that premium channel, and you will never know that it does that unless you cancel that channel and 30 days later or so it pops up. I could be wrong, haven't had Dish that long, other should chime in if that is correct or not.

In the settings menu it shows the last time connected. When you reconnect to the network through the app it starts that count over. I believe that after 30 days without opening the app from home, the videos you have on the iPad will lock. It doesn't check for a subscription, just connect to the network and open the app every once in a while and you will be fine.

image-2597104869.jpg

Nomad clients will delete a transferred program 30 days after the transfer. But the transcoded recording stays on nomad until it's deleted from the HD DVR, so if it's on the source HD DVR for a year it will stay on nomad for a year, unless nomad deletes it because of running out of internal memory. Nomad comes with 16GB of internal storage but has USB ports so you can add memory, i've had a 1TB drive on mine.

Nomad handles HDCP/DRM programs the same as non DRM programs so yes you can transfer a HBO program to a nomad client(s). It won't do DIRECTV on Demand recordings or OTA channels.

And remember you can have up to 5 nomad clients and you can copy the same transcoded recording to all 5 clients at the same time if you want.

rad, so it doesn't delete the original source recording on the DVR (i.e. HBO, MAX) when you transfer it to the client? Like I mentioned, that's what I'm most concerned about for either system. If I transfer it to a client (iPad) and it gets deleted from the DVR, I'm now forced to watch it on the client. Just because I transfer it doesn't mean I'll get a chance to watch it on the client. In that case I would rather watch in on a big screen from my couch, when I get the chance. One of the appealing things about both of these is that it gives me the ability to be able to actually watch more of what is on my DVR. I usually don't have a lot of time and it gets pretty full. If I can take some of it with me, that would help solve that problem.

There are only two ways a transcoded recording gets deleted from nomad, it's either deleted from the HD DVR that it was recorded on or nomad deletes it due to running out of internal memory. Nomad does not delete or prevent the viewing of any recording on a HD DVR that's been transcoded or transferred.

The wife went out of town today so I loaded her iPad up with a bunch of stuff, all is still viewable back home on the HD DVR.

There are only two ways a transcoded recording gets deleted from nomad, it's either deleted from the HD DVR that it was recorded on or nomad deletes it due to running out of internal memory. Nomad does not delete or prevent the viewing of any recording on a HD DVR that's been transcoded or transferred.

The wife went out of town today so I loaded her iPad up with a bunch of stuff, all is still viewable back home on the HD DVR.

Any hbo or max content?

Not on this trip but it DOES work for DRM content.

I just checked my iPad and it has movies from HBOComedy and MoreMax on it and they are still on the DVR, OK?

How about this for an HBO/MAX work-around? Record shows from both East and West? Could you then be able to have 1 on iPad and keep one on the Hopper(didn't get one yet)?

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for clarifying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)