Once a dvd-r or +r is finalized, doesn't it become dvd-video and playable on any dvd

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I have a stand alone Panasonic E-85 dvd recorder that will record onto dvd-r & dvd-ram; I also have an external dvd writer (Samsung) for my PC that will burn +R and -R and ram but also, it will "Litescribe" labels for them on the proper media.

The only decent blanks I could find that would accept Litescribe were Verbatim dvd+r.

Question: Does it really matter what format the blank is other than being compatible with the recorder? Once it's recorded and finalized doesn't it become a DVD video that's theoretically playable on any DVD player?

Say I record a movie from my 622 onto a dvd-ram with my E-85; shouldn't I then be able to load it into my Samsung writer, copy it to my HDD, maybe do some editing, etc and finially burn it onto a Verbatim +R that I can Lightscribe and have it play on most any dvd player?

waltinvt said:
Question: Does it really matter what format the blank is other than being compatible with the recorder? Once it's recorded and finalized doesn't it become a DVD video that's theoretically playable on any DVD player?

Not only does the format of the DVD matter but the blank itself, as in the quality, material and manufacturing process & code behind it. You can find compatibility lists such as: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

I shop @ supermediastore.com and swear by the compatibility lists. You need to read a list for each drive you will be using and find a common blank. You can use these to help: http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-identifier.html NAD http://www.supermediastore.com/beginner-in-dvd-corner.html AND http://www.supermediastore.com/what-dvd-media-buy.html

Never buy based on price or a RETAIL NAME, or a local retailers. That just does not guarantee you quality or savings in the long run.

I prefer Taiyo Yuden 'Premium Graded'

Say I record a movie from my 622 onto a dvd-ram with my E-85; shouldn't I then be able to load it into my Samsung writer, copy it to my HDD, maybe do some editing, etc and finially burn it onto a Verbatim +R that I can Lightscribe and have it play on most any dvd player?

It is not that easy. There are way too may variables in that scenario.

good info charper.

I just bought whatever was on sale and they all seemed to work. I use Sony DVD-R now and have sent out about 2 dozen DVD's from hockey games and haven't had a complaint yet (whew) :)

Yea, thanks Chuck.

I think you had given me the supermediastore link previously in another thread along with the afterdawn forum which are both good resources.

I'm just getting mixed answers from different places. Some have said that once a dvd is finalized, it should play in most of "today's" players. Others mention software that will make them compatible with more players.

It gets confusing because we have 2 different stand alone dvd players that don't play the same media and a stand alone recorder / player that does dvd-ram and dvd-r and a dvd writer that will burn most formats. The players all say they'll play dvd-video, which my Samsung says it will write to.

Well the race at Louden is starting, so guess I'll pick this back up tomorrow. Thanks again.

The BEST answer is there is no PERFECT answer; people that give generic & vague "should play in most of today's players" is what leads to most of the frustration, because it gives hope but no answers or real help. At the same token manufacturers that say "our model will play dvd-video" is also a really generic term and also has built-in variables that they are NOT willing to expound on too much to avoid possible legalities.

DVD players vary between blanks; not all software, burners, blanks or players are made the same. I always tell buddies looking for DVD players, software and burners to research their compatibility on the front end. AND as started before always check the or buy from a place where you can buy select DVD's by their factory codes; recording speed and blank format will vary these a bit. Such as TYG01, TYG02, MCC 01RG20. RITEKG04.

I am not a fan of set-top DVD recorders at all, I am more of a hand selected PC burners and stand alone multi-format DVD players. I think this method has the most overall control, the best cost effectiveness, and best overall end results. AND its usually a cheaper hardware startup cost too.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The BEST answer is there is no PERFECT answer; people that give generic & vague "should play in most of today's players" is what leads to most of the frustration, because it gives hope but no answers or real help. At the same token manufacturers that say "our model will play dvd-video" is also a really generic term and also has built-in variables that they are NOT willing to expound on too much to avoid possible legalities.
All very true and frustrating is an understatement.:)

charper1 said:
DVD players vary between blanks; not all software, burners, blanks or players are made the same. I always tell buddies looking for DVD players, software and burners to research their compatibility on the front end. AND as started before always check the or buy from a place where you can buy select DVD's by their factory codes; recording speed and blank format will vary these a bit. Such as TYG01, TYG02, MCC 01RG20. RITEKG04.
Apparently there can even be some variation between batches of the same brand / number in the cheaper brands where quality control is not so consistant.
charper1 said:
I am not a fan of set-top DVD recorders at all, I am more of a hand selected PC burners and stand alone multi-format DVD players. I think this method has the most overall control, the best cost effectiveness, and best overall end results. AND its usually a cheaper hardware startup cost too.
Actually my Panasonic E-85 is an amazing machine and once I learned a few things that the manual doesn't mention, I've probably recorded over 200 dvds and never had a single coaster.

It makes especially good dvds from an HD source and will high speed dub up to 2 hr & 6 min in under 12 minutes. If you don't mind dubbing in real time, you can set the bit-rate from variable to fixed and FR mode will get as much as 2hrs & 40 min onto one disk at 95% SP quality.

What's really great is that I can just dump stuff from my 622 to the E85s HDD to burn whenever I get time, which helps keep the 622's HDD freed up.

Anyway, didn't mean to go on an apologetic treatise for set top dvd recorders but I really do like mine a lot. I got the Samsung burner mainly because I had the erroneous illusion I would be able to burn movies and tv episodes from internet sources and I guess that would be a classic case for what you say about research "up front" because that venue sure isn't what I thought it would be.

So now that I have the burner, I just figured that maybe I could use it to make some dvds I record on the E-85 more compatible with another dvd player we have that the kids use. That and maybe to make backup copies of purchased disks before the kids manage to get scratches in them.

varible rate speeds matter too... I've recorded stuff on dvds that won't play in our "normal" dvd player next to the tv because the speed is too high, but play fine on the computer and on the playstation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)