Once again, SatGuys Saved my Bacon

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
This is my first post in the DirecTV forum. I'm moving over from Dish, and the DirecTV installer is outside working right now as I write this. I posted the following in the Dish forum, and it was suggested that I post it here, in the DTV forum.

After 14 years I dumped Dish and arranged for DirecTV to be installed today. When I talked to the DirecTV rep on the phone, I verified that I would be receiving an HR24 receiver, and he said, “Absolutely.”

An hour ago I received a call from the DirecTV installer saying that he was on his way, and, remembering something I had read on SatGuys, I asked the installer if he was bringing an HR24. He said he didn’t have one, so he was bringing an HR23. So I did as the SatGuys poster said to do, I told the installer that I didn’t want the HR23; I wanted the HR24 that the DirecTV rep had promised me, and that I would schedule another install when there was an HR24 available.

A few minutes later, the DirecTV installer called me back and said that his office had some HR24’s available, but he would have to drive back to his office to get one. I said, “Fine. I will be here all afternoon.”

I’m waiting for him to arrive. I felt sorry for him, but I want the newer, faster receiver, and it’s not my fault that DirecTV has communication problems with their field techs.

DirecTV probably relies on the fact that most new customers wouldn’t know an HR24 from a kangaroo, and that gives them an opportunity to offload older machines. Add that to the fact that I live in a retirement community where the majority of people know very little about technology, and it’s a goldmine for vendors of technology.

Would you recommend I give the installer a $10 or $20 tip?

Thanks, SatGuys.

Richard

It may be true that the everyday customer wouldn't know the difference between an HR23 and HR24, would it be that hard that the installer have the requested equipment?

The way most warehouses work is DirecTV makes them use the oldest first from receive date. If they're caught with receivers that are X amount of days old they get back charged or not reimbursed for the receivers. The fact the rep told you he promised is a no no to begin with. Either a 34 or a TiVo are the only receivers that can be promised to a customer unless you pay from a vender.

I'm cross-posting this on both the Dish and DTV forums because the people on the Dish forum were very good with helping me make the decision to switch to DTV. But from now on I will be posting only on the DTV forum. Thank you, Dish forum people, for all the help you have given me over the years. Bye (but I might be back in 2 years when my DTV contract expires).

The installer left 1.5 hours ago, and I gave him a $20 tip. He was friendly, competent, and extremely professional. He doesn't work for DTV; he's an independent contractor.

So far, I like what I have seen with DTV, but after 14 years with Dish, it's going to take me several days to learn a new system.

Some things seem to require a few more button pushes but nothing outlandish.

I have a new HR24, and the quide might be slightly slower than Dish's guide, but I'm not sure that it is.

SpencerCat said:
I'm cross-posting this on both the Dish and DTV forums because the people on the Dish forum were very good with helping me make the decision to switch to DTV. But from now on I will be posting only on the DTV forum. Thank you, Dish forum people, for all the help you have given me over the years. Bye (but I might be back in 2 years when my DTV contract expires).

The installer left 1.5 hours ago, and I gave him a $20 tip. He was friendly, competent, and extremely professional. He doesn't work for DTV; he's an independent contractor.

So far, I like what I have seen with DTV, but after 14 years with Dish, it's going to take me several days to learn a new system.

I have a new HR24, and the quide might be slightly slower than Dish's guide, but I'm not sure that it is.

As some one that used both I can say yes dtv is slower in guide. But good news is everything else is awesome lol.

It takes some time to get used to the new interface but you'll get used to it. I switched from Dish over 2 years ago and I wish I would've done it sooner. The equipment just works and the family is very happy with Directv.

This is common, your going to an entirely different system...

Look thru it and ask questions if you have them !

It may be true that the everyday customer wouldn't know the difference between an HR23 and HR24,

I think that the vast majority of subscribers who get DirecTV (and DISH or even cable for that matter) don't know or care what they get as long as it works. They don't complain that it takes an extra second to change channels or lust over a new model coming out. Those of us who tend to be more technically savvy and post in forums like this one are a much smaller percentage of DirecTV's customer base and can't be considered an "average" customer.

And also the norm is 24 hours for the new receiver to finish all the background downloading processes. Speed could be affected.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

welcome to the club :)

If you have any questions just ask. We're here to help (and we usually get along with everyone)

I have an equipment question. I switched to DTV from Dish in June and I got the HR-24 receiver in my living room but just an HD receiver (H25-500) in my bedroom. I have no issues with the HR-24 but the H-25 has a lot of issues when I try to watch DVRd shows. It often freezes for several minutes and I end up giving up and going out to the living room to watch the DVRd shows. Is there a better HD receiver that I wouldnt have to pay extra for? Or is this pretty standard for the "all-room" DVR?

I have an equipment question. I switched to DTV from Dish in June and I got the HR-24 receiver in my living room but just an HD receiver (H25-500) in my bedroom. I have no issues with the HR-24 but the H-25 has a lot of issues when I try to watch DVRd shows. It often freezes for several minutes and I end up giving up and going out to the living room to watch the DVRd shows. Is there a better HD receiver that I wouldnt have to pay extra for? Or is this pretty standard for the "all-room" DVR?

It's not standard. I don't have the mrv setup, so I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm sure someone has an idea what is wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)