One area, two diff dish directions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
In my area most have a D500 pointed at 119 and 110. There are 3 people who have ONE 500 pointed at what appears to be 61.5. What programming package would that be?

Channel line up for Dish, Im not sure how up to date it is but it lists what is where. Depending on what part of a city and what part of the country your in a dish pointed at 61.5 is just as common as a dish 500 pointed at 110/119. Until recently ( last 3 years ) Dish was the biggest provider of international programming from the rest of the world outside of Spanish programming, now Brighthouse cable has a rather large offering similiar to what Dish has.

If only one dish and pointed at 61.5 it could be that they are just getting the Sky Angel programming.. I have a few customers that don't get regular dish.. They just wanted the Sky Angel.

Sky angel and various foreign language programs except for Latino is the majority of whats on 61.5, there are some corporate programming on there such as Anhieser Beer, Remax, some MLM company thats been around for a long time, and a couple others plus some low budget must carry local tv stations. I installed alot of 61.5 only dishes back in south east Michigan in the Detroit suburbs for international programming but only a handful of Sky angel and that was out in the country side save for one or two.

Sometimes in our area when someone disconnects service, an installer will come take the LNBs down and flip the dish around the wrong way. Why, I don't know. They should just take down the entire dish. So, if there arent any LNBs on the dish, that could be why it's pointed in a different direction.

Odd that they would come and get the lnbf's, we never went on lnbf retrievals except for non payment accounts and that was pretty rare.

Sometimes in our area when someone disconnects service, an installer will come take the LNBs down and flip the dish around the wrong way. Why, I don't know. They should just take down the entire dish. So, if there arent any LNBs on the dish, that could be why it's pointed in a different direction.

Nah, it looks like its good to go.

Could they be reusing them on new installs to cut costs?

Probably. When I had my first install, the installer put up a used LNB. I made him take it down and put up a new one. I still dont understand why they intentionally misalign the dish when removing the LNBs.

Prob so if you reconnect, most would call someone out instead of a self install due to alignment. Way to hopefully get some money down the road.

Elwaylite
Dont know your location but in some areas of the country HD locals are on 61.5

Or if it was an area that had "split" locals (some on 110/119 and some on 61.5) maybe the dish is just there :)
I see a fair amount of dishes setup like that here in Minneapolis because we had split locals. When they moved all of the locals to 110 people just kept the dish up (my grandparents are one of them)

As Iceberg said, for a number of years, Dish had some city's locals split between 110/119 and 61.5. They'd put the PBS and other "small" channels on 61.5 and most people were none the wiser when they only had (1) dish and were missing those channels. Congress passed a law saying any city's locals had to be receivable with one dish (I think).

Those dishes may just be leftovers. You can't tell looking at them if they're being used or not.

They may also have a regular programming package and an international package in addition to the normal one, requiring the 61.5 dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)