one Ku one Xku

trampsauce

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Guam
HI all,

Thanks in advance for any help!

In my basement I have a fully functioning HDDSR 600 receiver which is freshly installed with an xKu lnb.

In my "slave quarters" I have an old oval dish (49"X54"), a Star Choice Dual Satellite Quad Output Switchable Ku LNBF, and an HDDSR 600 receiver. The receiver shows a green light for power, and a red light, which I believe means that I do not have an acquired signal at 111.1W. When I access the satellite tuner in the options it shows channel 299 with a red box beside it, then the connection rectangle, which is at 0.

Tech support tells me that that red box (on the satellite tuning screen) indicates that the dish is not connecting to the receiver and that I probably am using a coax that is not sending sufficient signal. I don't have any spare (and I am in the middle of nowhere) but I tested the cable with a multimeter and it does work, though perhaps the signal is just not strong enough.

From what I read here and elsewhere on the information superhighway, my receiver is set to xku settings based on my home set-up and the receiver needs to be recoded for the ku lnb to funtion. In order for tech support to send that code I have to establish a connection with the dish. I'm told again, by tech support, that the red box on the satellite tuning screen will turn green if the dish/lnb is connected properly to the receiver (via co-ax). This square will turn green even if I am pointed incorrectly, and is red becuase of the connections here on earth rathar than any connection in outer space.

If anyone can provide insight, confirmation of any of the above info, or other clarity I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to bring in someone from outside with experience, but as I said I am a mile outside of nowhere. thanks!

Last edited:
I am not an expert on the Shaw Direct stuff but I do know that to minimize problems, you really need to have the exact same LNBF at both locations. So my advice would be to find another XKu LNBF and mount that on your 2nd Dish, of even a new Dish with the XKu LNBF.

Hopefully someone else will come along and help more than I did.

Put your receiver on 350 APTN or 700. Both those channels come in on either LNB and red light should be gone
if you are aimed correctly.
Then they can change it.

is there a way to verify if the dish is the problem? The LNB's say for use with 60E dish only. I have been told that is not true, and many other dishes will work. Thanks for the suggestions, still no joy!

I see your location as in Belize you need a 75E lnb from what I am told. 60 will not give you enough signal.

We have a forum member from Belize (vixens), and if I remember correctly he has mentioned that some folks in Belize use the 75e dish, even though it may suffer from rain fade. Another option is using 2 separate larger dishes (one for each sat).

As a newbee I didn't finish my reply. My experience is that the V-code is set by the tech for the LNB that you are using, which must be the same at all locations, Xku or quad. I do not think you would have your receiver connected, because it is set for that subscription. you need the Xku to receive the 3rd satelite which has some of the HD channels. The foot print for the 3rd satelite is Canada

Just discovered this thread. When I switch to channel 988 I get the message UPGLNB. Which is fine but here is the tricky part. I live in a high rise condo with a shawdirect mdu. It is a fairly new building, like 3 years old but I know it has the e75 lnb with 75cm dish. When I called in shawdirect said that they will not be upgrading the lnb on the mdu. I am pretty sure that this mdu is managed by Stubb's. So are the people in my high rise condo building second class shawdirect subscribers?

Why not contact Stubbs? See if they can upgrade the MDU and invoice Shaw.

Note that it might involve more than just an LNBF swap, it could involve different switch's etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts