One line from Dish to feed 2 Hoppers-is it possible?

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
I currently have a single cable running into the basement that is driving a 1H/0J.

Thinking of adding a 2nd Hopper. I know I need to add a Duo node, which needs three input feeds from the satellite and then both Hoppers connect to two of the outputs. I would like to avoid drilling two additional holes into the basement wall to run the two additional cables from the Dish to the needed DUO node.

Is it possible to somehow combine all the necessary satellite feeds outside the house and multiplex them all into the single cable, then spilt that after it's in the basement to the required three feeds to run the 2H setup? I've searched and found the schematics that show the setup after it goes into the Duo node, but can't find any illustrations showing the setup I'd like to do. I've searched to no avail, not sure what terms to use (switch/diplexer, etc).:confused:

Thanks!

Is it possible to somehow combine all the necessary satellite feeds outside the house and multiplex them all into the single cable, then spilt that after it's in the basement to the required three feeds to run the 2H setup? I've searched and found the schematics that show the setup after it goes into the Duo node, but can't find any illustrations showing the setup I'd like to do. I've searched to no avail, not sure what terms to use (switch/diplexer, etc).:confused:

Thanks!

No, not possible.

Each Hopper needs a dedicated line to the node and the node needs three lines to the dish for two hoppers. If you have a single line into the basement, your node must be outside. The line between the node and Hopper is already combining three LNB feeds, no way to combine six feeds on one coax. The DirectTV system can do this since it can put eight different transponders on one coax, Dish puts three groups of 16 transponders on one coax to the Hopper.

Each Hopper needs a dedicated line to the node and the node needs three lines to the dish for two hoppers. If you have a single line into the basement, your node must be outside.

Correct.

So is there a way to achieve my goal with two lines instead of three? So install the Duo node outside, then run two lines into the basement instead of the current one? I'm really trying to avoid drilling through 12" of solid concrete to run two more wires...if I can get away with drilling one more at least that'd reduce the work (and the additional holes in my basement wall) by half.

You can put the node outside and have the 3 cables from the dish connect out there but you will still need 2 cables running from the node into the house no matter what. There is no way to run a 2 Hopper system with only one cable running into the house.

You could add a Joey instead, if an additional viewing location is the main objective. Granted you would still have the same 3 tuners, but it wouldn't require any additional drilling into the house, just a tap somewhere in the basement.

If you have central air conditioner, you can sometimes "sneak" the wire in along side the refrigerant lines.
They usually drill a pretty big hole and seal it up with that "gummy stuff" or expanding foam.
Another option may be to drill to the outside from an unused wall plate closest to the node and then "jump" to the D-mark (inside cable termination point) using the wire that fed that wall plate.

You can use a 5/8 bit and run 2 cables in 1 hole. Keeping your node inside out of the cold.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah I would recommend getting that node inside. I install them outside all the time just for ease of install but when I did my own upgrade I re-wired everything and took the node inside where it was nice and warm/dry with no need for drip loops to avoid water entry. Take the time, drill the larger hole and run the cables - stop trying to find the easy way out which will only cause you problems down the road.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts