One simple question about LNB settings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

James leandre

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
26.4 N, 81.4 W
HI Guys,
I'm have a simple question to ask?
I know that when someone has a Universal LNB the
area on that satellite menu that says 22 khz has to be set
to auto, but when using a standard LNB does it always have be off?

... but when using a standard LNB does it always have be off?
NO. The Standard LNB is oblivious to the 22khz tone.

Sometimes due to the way you have your switches configured, you might want to select between two Standard LNBs with a 22khz switch, or a 4x4 (or 5x4) switch (shown here).
There are many other configuration examples.

Are these switches typically installed outdoors with the dishes? And then have just one coax cable coming into the house? I noticed on the link that one of the switches was listed as being for outdoors but the others weren't.

As you say, some are rated for outdoor mounting, and some aren't.
I'd say use common sense when mounting any switch.

Using crummy connectors which aren't waterproof, would be a bad idea anywhere, but especially so anywhere that has rain.
So, unless you live in the desert... :rolleyes:

Drip loops which prevent water running down a cable right onto a switch, are helpful.

I like to put switches and such things under the eaves , where possible.
Others find outdoor boxes to house their switches.
Some locate theirs in the attic or basement, where you'll have access if you need it.

a 22k switch would allow you to run 2 LNB's (have to be standard) to one box. It can be used like a 2x1 Diseqc. Or attach them to the ports on a 4x1 diseqc and you can get 8 LNB's on one receiver :)

But if no 22k switches are present, best to leave it set to off

as for outdoor or indoor, as anole said...use common sense. I have a 22k switch that was in the elements ofr 3 years with no issues (it was sturdily built) and I have all my switches for the T90 bolted underneath the table so it is out of the elements :)

You are very welcome.

Those were both very straightforward questions, with pretty easy answers.

As for outdoor switches, I have just one more little secret.
Many have nice cast metal housings, which will handle outdoor exposure.
However, the back-plate often will rust in one season.
So, if you're putting a switch anywhere that a rusty streak from it might discolor the side of your house, put a dab of paint or a shot of Krylon or something on the back side. - :up

rv1pop

we always enjoy questions. If you had them you shoud have asked. Unlike other sites, we have no issues answering the same questions over and over (well if you ask how to steal Dish Network that one we dont take kindly to) :)

But glad we could help

Here is a post with some pics of the switches mounted under the table. I was standing on the ground lookuing up at the deck :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1004951-post1.html

They still hold up fine even when it snows. We got 10 inches of snow and there wasnt any snow on the switches :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)