One way satellite internet with SkyAngel

central1ny

Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
central ny
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to satellite and have been reading all about it for the last three weeks. I am considering a subscription to a one-way satellite internet service named skyfx on AMC6, 72 degrees. To do this I plan on purchasing a DVB-S pci card (skystar2) along with a 31" FTA dish and a LNBF. I would like to add a second LNBF somehow to receive a subscription to SkyAngel on EchoStar3 at 61.5 degrees. This all seems sort of overwhelming to me at this stage so I have several questions.

1. What is the difference between a universal LNBF and a standard LNBF. Which ones do I want for my application?
2. Is this combination even possible?
3. I am in the dark about polarization. I was reading that FTA is linear polarization and directv and dish use circular. Also I thought that skyangel had something to do with dish? So do I need a circular LNBF to receive SkyAngel?
4. Can I somehow attach the second LNBF for SkyAngel or do I need to purchase a special bracket?

Well I guess that is all the questions I have. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

Chris

:confused:

Purchase a larger 36" (90cm) dish instead of a 31" dish. You will not regret the decision! The better the signal quality, the less errors in the transmission, the faster the downloads.

For the PCI card and AMC6, purchase a standard type LNBF. Off the shelf Universal type LNBFs tend to be slightly less sensitive than Standard type. For reception of SkyAngel you will need a Dish Network receiver and a Circular type LNBF.

Aim the dish and peak the linear LNBF for AMC6 and add a 2nd LNBF mounting bracket for adding the circular LNBF for the Sky Angel subscription. An 8 degree separation on satellites is easily covered with the bracket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)