Ongoing problems with email.

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I've had internet with Charter since early last fall. Overall, I've been very happy with it EXCEPT for frequent problems with email. Latest example--since yesterday I either do not receive an email I KNOW was sent properly or I receive the same message over and over, in one case more than 30 times! When calling in to report it I get the message that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Eventually it'll get fixed--until it happens again. GGRRRR! In the 10 months I've been with them I've had a similar problem at least 5 times. Do NOT wanna go back to DSL but in the 10 years I had it never had an email problem & MAYBE had any problem 5 times total.
Just venting. Thanks for listening (reading?)...........

Ed

I've had internet with Charter since early last fall. Overall, I've been very happy with it EXCEPT for frequent problems with email. Latest example--since yesterday I either do not receive an email I KNOW was sent properly or I receive the same message over and over, in one case more than 30 times! When calling in to report it I get the message that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Eventually it'll get fixed--until it happens again. GGRRRR! In the 10 months I've been with them I've had a similar problem at least 5 times. Do NOT wanna go back to DSL but in the 10 years I had it never had an email problem & MAYBE had any problem 5 times total.
Just venting. Thanks for listening (reading?)...........

Ed

STILL getting multiple emails that were sent days ago! GGRRRRR!!!

Which email service are you using? Are you using Outlook or another program or just using a website to access your mail?

We use a smaller company that manages our website to provide us with email on our own domain at our office. Occasionally we will have trouble sending email from Outlook. When you hit send it just gets stuck in the outbox and never goes out. Most of the time this doesn't happen but when it does it usually happens all day. When this is happening we have to go to the webmail site to send our emails.

I leave Outlook open all day and some days I won't get any email. Then the next day my inbox will be full of emails with a timestamp from the prior day. I always assumed it was our rinky dink web hosting company causing the problems but now I'm starting to wonder if Charter is sometimes blocking ports necessary for Outlook and other email programs to work with IMAP. That or Outlook 2010 just sucking. I never even considered that Charter may be the problem until I read this thread and the DSLR threads that are linked to it.

Which email service are you using? Are you using Outlook or another program or just using a website to access your mail?

We use a smaller company that manages our website to provide us with email on our own domain at our office. Occasionally we will have trouble sending email from Outlook. When you hit send it just gets stuck in the outbox and never goes out. Most of the time this doesn't happen but when it does it usually happens all day. When this is happening we have to go to the webmail site to send our emails.

I leave Outlook open all day and some days I won't get any email. Then the next day my inbox will be full of emails with a timestamp from the prior day. I always assumed it was our rinky dink web hosting company causing the problems but now I'm starting to wonder if Charter is sometimes blocking ports necessary for Outlook and other email programs to work with IMAP. That or Outlook 2010 just sucking. I never even considered that Charter may be the problem until I read this thread and the DSLR threads that are linked to it.

Well, I TRY to use Windows Live and it works about half the time without messing up and reporting an error. So...most of the time I end up just using Charter's email--hate it though. The duplicate emails do seem to have stopped though.

Ed

I would NEVER use Charter's or any other ISP's email account. What happens if you quit them or move to a location where they do not provide service? Answer: You loose your email account. There are so many free email accounts available where this would not be an issue such as Gmail or Hotmail or Yahoo. If you do not like having to go to their site and sign in, then get the free email client Thunderbird, by Mozilla, and let it do the signing in automatically and download your email to your PC. (Email client software won't work with Yahoo however unless you pay Yahoo but it works fine with Hotmail and Gmail).

Reactions: old corps
I would NEVER use Charter's or any other ISP's email account. What happens if you quit them or move to a location where they do not provide service? Answer: You loose your email account. There are so many free email accounts available where this would not be an issue such as Gmail or Hotmail or Yahoo. If you do not like having to go to their site and sign in, then get the free email client Thunderbird, by Mozilla, and let it do the signing in automatically and download your email to your PC. (Email client software won't work with Yahoo however unless you pay Yahoo but it works fine with Hotmail and Gmail).

Yep, you're certainly correct. I only did it out of sheer ignorance but it won't happen again.

Ed

I use my Charter email address when I suspect I will be spammed by giving out my email address. I don't care if that account gets spammed cause I never check it!

Reactions: Bongu
I would NEVER use Charter's or any other ISP's email account. What happens if you quit them or move to a location where they do not provide service? Answer: You loose your email account.

Not necessary if you continue to pay for it LOL. I have a coworker who had Verizon (GTE) as a dial up internet service back in days. He now has Time Warner as ISP and AT&T as phone provider, but he continues to pay Verizon $20 a month just to keep his old email address! I thought it was pretty crazy, but he just cannot let his email address go...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)