Ongoing Remote Problem

mom24leggers

Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Blanchard, MI
Our Dish system was upgraded September 2010 to a 722 (one DVR unit for 2 TV's). Remote #1 is in the bedroom with the DVR unit and is IR. The TV in that room is an HD flat screen. Remote #2 is for the 'regular, old-fashioned' type TV in the livingroom. We have never had a problem with the #2 remote. From Day 1, there has been an ongoing issue with the #1 remote. When the Guide button is pushed, the screen guide comes up but then will not scroll up or down, either by single channel or 'page' and it won't cancel. Sometimes, the guide comes up and you can scroll up or down once then it freezes. This doesn't happen every time but often enough to cause great frustration. Also, frequently when going through the guide, it will suddenly jump back to the channel the TV was on when the guide was first accessed. After the problem occurred several times I replaced the batteries. No help. Next I called Dish. The CSR was very nice and during the course of our discussion she discovered that both remotes were on the same frequency(?). We changed the number on the #1 of the remote and the problem was resolved......for a day or 2. I contacted Dish again when the problem returned. That CSR did not seem to understand what I was saying (language barrier). He recommended that I unplug the DVR for 10 seconds then plug it back in. I did that and it did not resolve the problem. We tried to live with the problem but contacted Dish a 3rd time when it became apparent the remote stood a very good chance of going through the front of the TV. This CSR suggested we replace the remote at a cost of $15. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the charge considering the problem has occurred consistently beginning the day our system was upgraded. But, if it meant having the issue finally resolved, fine. Well, the new remote arrived about 4 days later and the issue is still going on. It is now 5 months in and the frustration is again building to a dangerous level. Can anyone give me some hint on how to permanently fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Audrey

Yes, any auto picture control/back lighting can cause IR interference.

What remote did they send as a replacement? (on back, top).

I am a dealer, and have run into this issue recently. Seems that the LCD tv is interfering with the IR remote when set to a low (1 or 2) remote address. I learned through trial and error, and now I set #1 remote to address 12. This has resolved my issues with several customers. The frequency of the IR signal at higher remote addresses must be out of the interference range. Your mileage may very...

I am a dealer, and have run into this issue recently. Seems that the LCD tv is interfering with the IR remote when set to a low (1 or 2) remote address. I learned through trial and error, and now I set #1 remote to address 12. This has resolved my issues with several customers. The frequency of the IR signal at higher remote addresses must be out of the interference range. Your mileage may very...

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. We will try setting the remote address to 12 (right now it is at 4) first. If that doesn't fix the problem we will turn off the back lighting.
You guys are great!!

Please let me know if that has helped, any additional feedback will continue to help me with my customers.

21.0 IR/UHF PRO

That remote can bet set to control TV1 via UHF as long as remote address is different from TV2 so you won't have to change TV settings. There is a little toggle switch inside the battery compartment.

Like KAB said, I would change the remote so it operates TV1 with a UHF signal (which is what your second remote uses). This will bypass any IR interference that the TV may be emitting. Next to the battery cover there is a switch where you can set the remote for IR or UHF, put it on the UHF side, and program it like you've been doing (system info - record). Let us know if it's still not working properly.

After reading all the replies we decided to go with the easiest one for us (not exceptionally tech savvy folks here). We switched the #1 remote from IR to UHF. No more problems!!! Thanks again for all the help.

Audrey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts