Onkyo 605 or Sony 910?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
I've read the Onkyo review stickys and some other information on both units, but this is the comparison I'm making. My old receiver seems like it's about to crap out on me and I've been wanting to get one for the new audio formats anyway... right now both of these receivers are about the same price so I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

Here's my setup:

Samsung 50" 1080p DLP (HL-T5076S), 3 HDMI, 2 Component inputs
DirecTV HR20-700 HD-DVR
Playstation 3 (used for games and Blu-Ray movies)
HD-A2 HD-DVD Player (also my main upconverter for DVD's)
Nintendo Wii (currently hooked up with component cables)
Another cheap kid's gaming system (Vtech) hooked up via composite
My wife hooks up her iPod from time to time, but just with standard red/white cables from the headphone jack...

I would definitely want to hook the PS3 and the HD-A2 to the reciever for the new audio formats... but I could probably live with going component and optical for the HR20 and/or just keeping the HDMI direct to the TV for video and just the optical for audio, so I'm not sure the 2 (Onkyo) vs. 3 (Sony) HDMI inputs is a big difference for me. I'd probably want the option of using the TV speakers for that when the kids are in bed anyway.

My receiver is in a cabinet behind a glass door. I would have a couple inches of room on each side for ventilation (and more in the back), but the door would be closed most of the time it's running, so heat would be a consideration.

I also don't know that the upconversion would be that big of a deal for the Wii (and definitely not for the Vtech), although it would probably be nice...

Ultimately, my main goal is to get the one that will work the best for passing the HD video and processing the HD audio for my three HD components. Anything else is just gravy.

Also one question - will either of them pass audio out via HDMI to the TV? Or does it keep the audio in the unit and only pass the video? Again, just a nice option to have when the kids are in bed....

Feel free to point out anything I should be thinking about that I'm not... and thanks in advance for your opinions.

I hear that the onkyo's still put out some heat (I have a 604 and it's warm) so ventilation might be an issue.

I also have a friend with a 810 and it's very comparable to my 604. One thing I can't understand that sony does (and it's confirmed in the manual) is the weird LFE hum it puts out when there is an LFE channel, but nothing being sent by the source. I assume the 910 does this too. It's something that you don't notice after a while I assume, but it would bug the piss out of me if I had to deal with it. I

I also think the 605 internal decoding of the new codecs is nice, but you don't have anything that is bitsreaming them (yet).

As for passing audio, I know the sony's have an option of AMP+TV or AMP only for sound. Not sure on the new onkyo. My 604 has something but I have it hooked to an old DVI input tv, so I have no clue what it does with HDMI audio if I change the settings.

If I were going to upgrade, I'd do the Onkyo personally. But I'd also step up to the 705 so I could matrix the PCM.

I hear that the onkyo's still put out some heat (I have a 604 and it's warm) so ventilation might be an issue.

I also have a friend with a 810 and it's very comparable to my 604. One thing I can't understand that sony does (and it's confirmed in the manual) is the weird LFE hum it puts out when there is an LFE channel, but nothing being sent by the source. I assume the 910 does this too. It's something that you don't notice after a while I assume, but it would bug the piss out of me if I had to deal with it. I

I also think the 605 internal decoding of the new codecs is nice, but you don't have anything that is bitsreaming them (yet).

As for passing audio, I know the sony's have an option of AMP+TV or AMP only for sound. Not sure on the new onkyo. My 604 has something but I have it hooked to an old DVI input tv, so I have no clue what it does with HDMI audio if I change the settings.

If I were going to upgrade, I'd do the Onkyo personally. But I'd also step up to the 705 so I could matrix the PCM.

Thanks... I've heard the 910 tends to run cooler than other comparable receivers, so I'm leaning toward the Sony from that aspect - wouldn't want to cook my new toy.

I have a Sony receiver now, and either it doesn't put out that hum or I don't notice it...

The 705 is at least $200 more... which is probably at least $200 more than I can get away with at this point.

Well if the 810 is any indication of the 910, then yes, it does run very cool (relatively speaking).

I only mentioned th 705 as a personal thing I would want. The 605 would be just fine IMO.

As for the hum thing. I don't know if it's only the newer receivers that do this. I guess in the grand scheme it's not a big thing ,but I did notice it.

I have a 605 and I am very happy with it. Everything works fine and the audio is superb just watched Spiderman 3 and now I am convinced not to go to the Movie Theatres anymore.

I have an Onkyo 805. I love it. But it puts out some HEAT. I assume the 605 does also.

This might push you more toward the Sony. But while I own Sony products, I try to buy other brands instead. Too many disappointments with Sony- and then there's the root kit.

I recommend spending an hour googling those two for user reviews. And there's a great deal of info on the Onkyos, at least, at AVM$.

I have an Onkyo 805. I love it. But it puts out some HEAT. I assume the 605 does also.

This might push you more toward the Sony. But while I own Sony products, I try to buy other brands instead. Too many disappointments with Sony- and then there's the root kit.

I recommend spending an hour googling those two for user reviews. And there's a great deal of info on the Onkyos, at least, at AVM$.
I have the Onkyo and absolutely love it. It is in a cabinet and I have had no problems with overheating.

Thanks - I actually have done quite a bit of looking and have found far more positive reviews on the Onkyo than the Sony - I think it was the three HDMI inputs and the heat question that had me even considering the Sony to begin with, but if (as stated above) I can get by with the heat and I can transfer from component to HDMI with one of my things on the Onkyo, it might be fine to go that way.

Now if I can just convince my wife...

Valentines day gift. :D

Believe it or not, she thinks it's a "Hallmark Holiday."

One other question.... there is a difference in "power" between the two as well - 90W for the Onkyo (which is what my current receiver is) vs. 110 (I think) for the Sony. I can't recall ever having any problems or thinking my current setup was too quiet, but anything I should be thinking about there...?

I have a 605, 705, 805 and 875. The 605 only gets warm and as you go up the line, each model gets hotter. My 875 is on a top, open shelf and I have never had an issue relating to the heat. If you want a receiver, get an Onkyo. For the money they can't be beat.

Believe it or not, she thinks it's a "Hallmark Holiday."

One other question.... there is a difference in "power" between the two as well - 90W for the Onkyo (which is what my current receiver is) vs. 110 (I think) for the Sony. I can't recall ever having any problems or thinking my current setup was too quiet, but anything I should be thinking about there...?

Take those power ratings with a massive grain of salt. Sony tends to indulge in puffery when it comes to their power rating. The 605 has plenty of power.

I have a 605, currently with a ViP622 and HD-A2 using the two HDMI inputs, as well as a Wii connected by component. HDMI out to my Toshiba 62HMX94 DLP (720p) TV. Soon, I'll pick up a Blu-Ray player (wavering between the Panasonic BD30 and PS3) along with an HDMI switch from monoprice.com. These HDMI switches are around $40, and can be controlled by a universal remote.

The 605 can pass audio on to the TV, but only by changing a setting deep in the menu system, then you'd have to change it back for surround sound; definitely not worth the hassle. I've been using the midnight mode when I want to keep the volume down, it is MUCH better than using the TV speakers. Most TV speakers range from sort of crappy to completely crappy. I've always had to turn up the sound on the TV to a certain point in order to hear dialog, only to get blasted by background music, special effects, etc... Running through 605, using midnight mode (which most AVRs have), no problems. Midnight mode compresses the dynamic range of the audio and boosts the center channel speaker and those frequency ranges to enhance dialog. It alters the sound quite a bit, but it makes listening at low volumes a lot easier, especially for dialog.

Take those power ratings with a massive grain of salt. Sony tends to indulge in puffery when it comes to their power rating. The 605 has plenty of power.

I have a 605, currently with a ViP622 and HD-A2 using the two HDMI inputs, as well as a Wii connected by component. HDMI out to my Toshiba 62HMX94 DLP (720p) TV. Soon, I'll pick up a Blu-Ray player (wavering between the Panasonic BD30 and PS3) along with an HDMI switch from monoprice.com. These HDMI switches are around $40, and can be controlled by a universal remote.

The 605 can pass audio on to the TV, but only by changing a setting deep in the menu system, then you'd have to change it back for surround sound; definitely not worth the hassle. I've been using the midnight mode when I want to keep the volume down, it is MUCH better than using the TV speakers. Most TV speakers range from sort of crappy to completely crappy. I've always had to turn up the sound on the TV to a certain point in order to hear dialog, only to get blasted by background music, special effects, etc... Running through 605, using midnight mode (which most AVRs have), no problems. Midnight mode compresses the dynamic range of the audio and boosts the center channel speaker and those frequency ranges to enhance dialog. It alters the sound quite a bit, but it makes listening at low volumes a lot easier, especially for dialog.

Thanks. I had thought that I could just use component for my HR20, but then I remembered a story about some restrictions on HD content that might be coming down the lane for Dish - I wonder if D* will do the same? That could cause a problem - I don't really want another thing to switch so I can use all three of my HDMI sources... then again, I may just do HDMI direct to the TV for that with optical audio - no reason for anything better, and I probably won't want to have the receiver on all day long while the kids are watching TV.

I hadn't heard about that "midnight mode," but that definitely sounds like it would do the trick, and be a better option - thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, it looks like this purchase may be on hold until the summer, but I think I'll probably end up going with the 605 when the time comes. Thanks again for the input...

Yeah check the specs to see if they support HD Audio but I'm a big Sony Fan myself I'm getting ready to get one of their ES Series the 43000.

If you want to do HD Audio you need to go with the Higher end model STR which is the STR-DG2100... That is if you want Dolby® TrueHD.. Go to Sony site and compare the 3 and you will see..

Poke, the 810 and higher will allow people to reap the benefits of HD Audio just fine. Granted the player will have to do the decoding and then pass the PCM to the 810 and greater. Then agian, not all players can do bitstream of the advanced audio either.

Are you only referring to the Sony models that offer receiver decoding of the HD audio?

Yeah I was talking about the audio receiver doing HD Audio... Sorry about that yeah he should be fine with the 810 yet again cant go wrong with a Sony.. I plan on in the next week or so getting a ES4300.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts