Onkyo 705

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Just ordered the 705 from Amazon today. Will be delivered on Tuesday the 15th. I think I will the 24 hour flu that day. You know, a scheduled sick day.:D

It has a little more power, dual zones, 3 HDMI inputs. It will have the A2, PS3, 625, Wii, and an Ipod. I didn't know the 605 dropped down that far. Oh well. Just checked my order status, it wil be delivered today. Taking the day off. I'll keep you posted.

OK. Got it set up. Not that big of a deal. Have a question on the audio set up. Have an A2 hooked up via HDMI. According to the box, the movie 300 can be out put in True-HD. The display on the 705 shows PCM multichannel. Is that accurate? Should it show True-HD? What should I put the settings to. Pretty much the A2 and the 705 are set to auto as far as the HDMI audio stuff goes. Any tips?

Last edited:
The A2 cannot bitstream the TrueHD, it decodes it and send it out a LPCM. Your 705 I thought has the ability to apply Dolby and THX soundfields to PCM tracks (unlike the 605). I believe only the A35 can bitstream the TrueHD tracks.

Set your HDMI output to Auto on the A2 and select the TrueHD track on the 300.

This is where the debate starts and only your ears and setup can make the final decision
Oddly in the A2 changing the Optical output setting effects the HDMI output...

Setting Optical to PCM and HDMI to PCM causes the player to output 96khz track (instead of 48khz that most discs are encoded at) and IMO lowers the LFE and other bass frequencies.

Setting the Optical to Bitstream and HDMI to Auto or PCM causes the A2 to output 48khz track.
Arguements go back and forth on this, I prefer Optical on Bitream and HDMI on Auto. I then make sure I select TrueHD etc when I start the disc.

Either way (receiver or player decoding TrueHD), you are getting the TrueHD track, but the receiver will not show it unless it is doing the decoding.

Got it up and running with some tips and helpful links from SatinKzo. So far so good. Alot up settings you can mess with. Almost overwelming. Great sound. We had Transformers running through and blowing up the living room Saturday night. Our cat took off running during the attack of the airbase, took her until the next day to come out from under our bed.

LOL. Our cats and our youngets (21 months) did the same thing at the airbase.

I was wondering how you came out on it. Glad the links I sent helped. Probably more useful in print than me over the phone, but a phone call would not have been a problem at all.

current price of $407 ain't bad on the 605. If I upgrade my 604, it's gonna be to a 705 though or whatever follows it down the road.

Interesting. The first threads indicating a buggy unit, so I skipped to the last few, and it seems those things went away. Keep us up to to date as to what you do.

$572.98 at 6th Avenue Electronics

Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver(ONKTXSR705B) and other affordable Audio Receivers at 6ave.com.

This is getting serious.

705 Owners..here is part of a review.

Weaknesses: Inability to receive regular surround signals (Dobly Digital, DTS) through HDMI - must ALSO connect fiber optic or digital coax for standard surround.

Summary: The weird connection hobble Onkyo put in here is that when connecting something like a cable box or DVD player through HDMI, in order to get the machine to process regular, current-gen surround formats you have to hook it up with digital coax or fiber optic IN ADDITION TO the HDMI, basically negating the whole "one cable for all purposes" attraction of HDMI. (See page 66 of the manual.) It will still, however, process next-gen formats like DTS-HD, Dolby TruHD, etc. One step down on the model number saves you over $200 and you get practically the same functionality. If you go up one step to the 805 then that DOES process all surround formats through HDMI. It's an odd setup to be sure.

Is that true? Will this receiver NOT process DD or DTS through HDMI without the optic connection?

Last edited:
$572.98 at 6th Avenue Electronics

Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver(ONKTXSR705B) and other affordable Audio Receivers at 6ave.com.

This is getting serious.

705 Owners..here is part of a review.

Weaknesses: Inability to receive regular surround signals (Dobly Digital, DTS) through HDMI - must ALSO connect fiber optic or digital coax for standard surround.

Summary: The weird connection hobble Onkyo put in here is that when connecting something like a cable box or DVD player through HDMI, in order to get the machine to process regular, current-gen surround formats you have to hook it up with digital coax or fiber optic IN ADDITION TO the HDMI, basically negating the whole "one cable for all purposes" attraction of HDMI. (See page 66 of the manual.) It will still, however, process next-gen formats like DTS-HD, Dolby TruHD, etc. One step down on the model number saves you over $200 and you get practically the same functionality. If you go up one step to the 805 then that DOES process all surround formats through HDMI. It's an odd setup to be sure.

Is that true? Will this receiver NOT process DD or DTS through HDMI without the optic connection?

Wrong. Gladiator is DTS. I have my A2 hooked up to my 705 via HDMI only, and it decodes, and displays DTS. My PS3 is hooked up HDMI only and when I play Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, I play it in DTS.

Wrong. Gladiator is DTS. I have my A2 hooked up to my 705 via HDMI only, and it decodes, and displays DTS. My PS3 is hooked up HDMI only and when I play Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, I play it in DTS.

Do you have your Sat Receiver hooked up to it?

And it does DD through from your Sat receiver HDMI? Everything is cool? If I buy this receiver, I won't have the problems that were described in the review? That guy is wrong?

I will never have to use optic cable again?

Is that correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)