Online Petition - Dish Network blackouts

Except that the blackouts are governed by the pro teams. There was a site which would list each team along with zip codes which were allowed to view the team (it might be at mlb.com under the mlb.tv section). Petitioning Dish Network is a total waste and will not accomplish anything.

WRONG!

I spoke directly with New England Sports Network today. He said this is completely a Dish Network issue.

Maybe you haven't read all the posts, or maybe you've been told that by providers so many times, that you now believe it.

Either way, NESN said that my Zip falls into Red Sox territory and is not subject to any restrictions. He mentioned that they had a similar problem a few years back when people's Zip codes changed. Dish did not update their system to recognize the new/updated Zips.

This has nothing to do with MLB. If you read the blog and the petition, you'll see that MLB is telling people they should be receiving these games.

This is NOT about trying to get the Red Sox as a local channel in Florida, or something like that. It's about getting what we pay for, and are entitled to...since we live within the markets, as defined by MLB.

Except that the blackouts are governed by the pro teams. There was a site which would list each team along with zip codes which were allowed to view the team (it might be at mlb.com under the mlb.tv section). Petitioning Dish Network is a total waste and will not accomplish anything.

Bro....read the Blog/petition. Dish is just the main target. If Comcast (for example) is broadcasting these games and not adhering to MLB policy, then they're going to get hit hard by MLB. (Once I point it out :) )

If you read, you'll see that the petition would be presented to not only Dish, but MLB, the FCC, all Regional sports networks, and even the House Subcommittee on Telecom and Internet.

This is more to gather support and awareness for MLB, who can then push Dish to fix their systems. You or I calling Dish can talk until we're blue in the face...they need some "higher-ups" calling them.

Hopefully, my contact at NESN was able to jab them a bit....

LOL write and complain all you want.. dish doesnt control BLACK outs.. if dish was to let you watch them.. they can get sanctioned by the MLB.. onthe contrary.. dish HATES black outs... imagine.. a world with no black outs.. dish would get more customers.. more revenue.

Its like striking against a particular gas station because the gas price is to high :/

meh... it sucks for you, but doesn't effect me. This is just payback for all New England fans having great teams and rubbing it in our face.

LETS GO RAYS!!!!!

As stated, Charles Ergan himself hates the blackouts, and they do get complaints and he is probably the only CEO who has done more to rid and suffered more because of the blackouts, and yes, sometimes it is a Dish error, but each carrier--Dish, Direct, Comcast, TWC--do not get the exact/same agreement. Yes, there can be instances of neighboring cable systems in the same DMA with a blackedout game, and the other airing the game.

Frankly, your sources aren't the league's lawyers nor Charlie's attorneys. Uh this is way over your buddy's head. Ergen is not going to risk any of the league's legal action that would include an immediate suspension of all their games from being transmitted via Dish Network.

So, yes, waste your time and petition all you like, Dish gets calls on this every day, and you will get Charlie's most sympathetic and kindly "I'm with you all the way," support. But it won't change a thing because Chuck is already trying to change it. Your focus should be on the leagues. In fact, I remember Charlie having to explain the intricacies on this matter on most of the past Charlie Chats. In fact, you should call Charlie on the next chat and really explain what you're talking about, and he can go into greater detail as to why things are happening the way they are. And yes, Charlie is blacking out games so that you can leave Dish and run to cable or Direct TV or FiOS or whatever. Charlie used to get a little hot under the collar with his frustration with the leagues on this matter.

LOL write and complain all you want.. dish doesnt control BLACK outs.. if dish was to let you watch them.. they can get sanctioned by the MLB.. onthe contrary.. dish HATES black outs... imagine.. a world with no black outs.. dish would get more customers.. more revenue.

Its like striking against a particular gas station because the gas price is to high :/

Please explain then, how the cable companies are getting away with not blacking out customers IN THE SAME TOWN! They should then be "sanctioned".

Jesus Christ....does NO ONE get what is going on here??? Talking to some of you is like talking to the Dish call center idiots over in India :mad:
If I can draw attention to these blackouts on Dish, (which are not happening in the same town with the cable companies), I will have accomplished something. I want to create AWARENESS to how this practice is unfair to the consumer.

If I have to give a list of Zip Codes where cable companies are broadcasting games (outside of their jurisdiction) to Charlie, I will. If that's the case, both he AND MLB should be suing those cable companies. So tell me why that hasn't happened yet.

It's not my fault that Dish has a crappy system that needs updating....but I sure am PAYING for it.

Maybe I should have said "Petition to FCC on Sporting Event Blackouts"....would you then understand?

Yes, Dish gives the same line about the blackouts..."we don't control it." It's clearly bullsh*t.

What they were trying to tell me, was that NESN cuts their feed when a game is blacked out. That is ludicrous! So the whole feed goes down? I think not, as many fans in Boston were able to watch on Dish.

NESN is not able to modify their stream to Dish to black out MY Zip Code...that is being done somewhere in Dish's system. And according to NESN and MLB, my zip code falls in the area where I can get Red Sox, Yankees, and Mets games.

Even if I switch back to Comcast, I'm not quitting this fight. ;)

I think satellite has more control over blackouts then most satellite tv lovers want to admit.! I've seen many things blacked out on satellite that wasn't on cable. I've seen blacked out games on E* when it wasn't on D*. I find it strange that MLB would want a team blacked out in their own Hometown.

Please explain then, how the cable companies are getting away with not blacking out customers IN THE SAME TOWN! They should then be "sanctioned".

Perhaps you have not heard of philadelphia where Comcast is not blacking out games yet Flyers games that are on Versus are conveniently co-broadcast on CSN so that dish must black out those games. The cable companies have a lot of power and as such they get away with a bit more. It would obviously depend on your zip code and more likely than not is the MLB and not dish.

I've dealt with somewhat similar situations with NHL blackouts. Honestly, there is nothing DISH can do. If your zip code is on the blackout list, then their hands are tied. Talking to NESN is a start. The better thing to do is to also talk to MLB and your local team. Since they sign the broadcast agreements, they can push to make sure things are done correctly. Again, DISH can only abide by what is given to them, so even if some NESN person agrees with you that you shouldn't be blacked out, it won't change the fact that if your zip code was on the blackout list, there is nothing DISH can do until NESN tells them otherwise.

--Warning; long rambling story ahead--
So a few years ago (the 2005 stanley cup playoffs to be exact), I sat down to watch the Ducks play the Flames in game 7 of the first round on Versus (well, OLN back then). Imagine how shocked I was when the game was blacked out. I immediately got on the phone with DISH and asked them why. After much help from their "special event services" people, I got the explanation that the game was being shown locally on KDOC (a local OTA channel in LA/OC) and that I should tune to channel 56. I explained that I was in the San Diego DMA, and we did not get KDOC. His actual response was "Well, that shouldn't be blacked out then. If you are in the San Diego DMA then there is no way you can legally get KDOC via DISH, so you should be able to get the game." He then went on to explain that for sports blackouts, the local stations provide blackout information to them as to which zipcodes the games on the national networks should be blacked out. He apologized profusely for not being able to do anything, but suggested I contact KDOC to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. I did end up trying to contact KDOC, but didn't really get anywhere. So I wrote a letter to the Ducks and CC'd the NHL. A few weeks later I get a call from the NHL's VP of Broadcast communications. She talked to me about this issue (and another issue of the Ducks games being blacked out on Center Ice when the are on KDOC) and came to the same conclusion DISH did, that the game should not have been blacked out on versus. Low and behold, here we are 3 years later and no Ducks games that are on KDOC in LA/OC are ever blacked out on versus or center ice.

Yes, it sounds like the people arguing with the OP are not saying that the blackout agreements can't differ between cable and Dish Network, but that the reasons why some games are blacked out on Dish and not cable is not Dish's fault. Therefore a petition citing Dish as the culprit in this matter is a waste of time. Personally I don't know for sure. There might be some validity in both arguments.

Guess What? Great news!!!

NESN calling Dish apparently did the trick, as I'm watching my Red Sox lose right now.

So I should be petitioning MLB? I TOLD you this was a Dish Network issue...

As a side note, the Mets are no longer blacked out to me either, so this was the kick in the pants Dish needed to get my local teams to me.

I urge everyone having this problem, to call your Regional Sports network and put them on the case. Calling seems to be the best option, as you never know if an email actually gets read.

I also urge people to keep signing the petition, and help bring awareness to this issue. I will update the Blog and try to spread it around the internet more. I will gladly do whatever I can to help everyone in fighting this. You can find my email address on the Blog .... feel free to email me, or send me a PM here. :up

Mike

Dish Network Is Wrong

Dish Network Blackout Policy Petition

Well if you dont like it.. why dont you simply cancel it.. get irect tv and get the mlb??

Because I LIKE Dish....and want to keep them. I also wanted the teams I am entitled to watch...which are listed in the America's Top 250 package I PAY for.

My problem with Dish is just that they DO have certain control over blackouts...they just need to get off their asses and make sure they've got the latest data from MLB entered into their systems.

You don't seem to understand that even if I got DirecTV, I would get blacked out on Red Sox, Yankees, and Mets game with the Extra Innings package. Know why? They're my LOCAL teams! :rolleyes:

Hey mike316, I had to write to FSN to get my blackout issues resolved. Just like you, they said it was an issue with Dish Network. We all know that MLB is supposed to control the blackouts, but it seems Dish Network plays by their own "rules".:rolleyes: Here is part of the e-mail:

"Thanks for your e-mail. You are correct – You should be receiving these Royals telecasts. We are aware of the problem and trying to resolve it with Dish.

Thanks,
FSN Midwest"

Hey mike316, I had to write to FSN to get my blackout issues resolved. Just like you, they said it was an issue with Dish Network. We all know that MLB is supposed to control the blackouts, but it seems Dish Network plays by their own "rules".:rolleyes: Here is part of the e-mail:

"Thanks for your e-mail. You are correct – You should be receiving these Royals telecasts. We are aware of the problem and trying to resolve it with Dish.

Thanks,
FSN Midwest"

PhilAce,

That's great! I'm glad you were able to get it done, too :)

You know what NESN thought the issue was? Those 4 numbers they've started using after your 5 digit Zip Code. They're pretty sure Dish was not updating those in their system.

So yes, Dish should be more responsible and make sure things like that are always up-to-date. Otherwise they risk screwing more customers. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)