Only 19 HD channels on VIP 211 with Dish500 Dish

You have 1 OTA tuner and 2 Satellite channel tuners that let you record up to 3 programs at the same time, so it can say TV1, TV1, TV2 and not be a conflict.

You have 2 outputs (TV1,TV2) to watch the above 3 tuners and to watch a 4th video source(pre-recorded DVR).

I wasn't aware it worked that way but it still remains, IIRC from yesterday, that when something from the antenna(in particular from an ota hd channel) is recording for future viewing(i.e. my wife's soap this morning while she works) I cannot watch something else at TV1, my HDTV until that recording is over.

Also, not sure how much the recent foggy type whether has on a borderline channel, but WITI Milwaukee has been dropping out with upper 50's to low 60's signal strength. IIRC, the signal strength the other night after mounting the antenna was around mid-70's or so; good enough to not drop out.

Either I was misled on purchasing this ant. or is it mother nature? This channel was listed under the 'violet' section in the antennaweb.org section. Obviously the one I purchased, the Winegard hd9095, was highly recommended by the rep. at SummitSource.com. (We are planning a HD Packer party on Saturday afternoon!)

....when something from the antenna(in particular from an ota hd channel) is recording for future viewing(i.e. my wife's soap this morning while she works) I cannot watch something else at TV1, my HDTV until that recording is over.
Is someone else in your house watching something on your second TV set while your wife's soap is being recorded OTA TV1 ? If not, you can watch something else at your first TV by temporarily switching to single mode.

Last edited:
Is someone else in your house watching something on your second TV set while your wife's soap is being recorded OTA TV1 ? If not, you can watch something else at your first TV by temporarily switching to single mode.

JH1949

Thanks for the response; I had never thought of that. I tried it now as the soap is being recorded. It worked except I was trying to access a weak ota signal (that has been mostly acting up since installing the ant. Sunday) and then it gives me the option then to stop recording the soap if I wanted that channel. I guess it must be because that tuner is already being used.?

I learned something today.

....I guess it must be because that tuner is already being used.?....
That's correct. You can view only one channel from each tuner. Only way I know to watch 2 OTA at once is to split the incoming signal and feed half to your Sat receiver and the other half directly into your TV receiver.

Since you are having weak OTA signal problems now, that may not be a good idea. :)

When I had weak OTA signal on my setup, it was because of transmission towers in different locations by more than 15 degrees and 45 miles away. Had to add a pre-amp to OTA antenna and a rotor.

When I had weak OTA signal on my setup, it was because of transmission towers in different locations by more than 15 degrees and 45 miles away. Had to add a pre-amp to OTA antenna and a rotor.

All my Milwaukee's are 100 - 102 degrees (set antenna at 100) from me magnetic north and 40-42 miles away. The channel in question now is 67% and another that is exact same direction and .3miles closer from me is giving 100% right now

Thoughts?

My thoughts are either: (a) the 67% TV station is transmitting its digital signal at less KW power or (b) the 67% TV station is transmitting at a much higher digital channel number.

The following website also lists the difficulty in receiving channels by color coding. Just select the digital only choice of the results after you type in your zip code. The digital channel numbers are in the far right column.

AntennaWeb

Last edited:
This what I get trying to reach him:

"Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help."

My thoughts are either: (a) the 67% TV station is transmitting its digital signal at less KW power or (b) the 67% TV station is transmitting at a much higher digital channel number.
I talked to a WITI engineer and was told fog would not hamper signal strength and that they do the same KW power as WISN, which is pretty much next door. WISN is regularlly in the 90's for me. Yesterday, WITI went from dropping out to being in the mid to upper 90's last night. Now, this morning it ranged from 76-84 in a five second time frame.

What is my next step here?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)