Only getting half of my stations.....help!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sueb5514

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a RV in Erie, PA and have aVIP211K HD Solo receiver. We have a Dish 500 Satellite. Both of the satellites...110 and 119 are getting very good strength....at least 65. but we are only picking up the lower channels. The channels on the 119 I think are the ones that we are not receiving. We have been told by Dish that the satellite is not pointed in the right direction but how can you get good strength showing on both satellites and that happen. I also had a tech tell me that I should change the lnb to a Dish Pro Plus Twin that it would pick the stations up. Does anyone out there have any ideas. Also, when my husband took the lnb loose there was only one wire attached to the 119 marking and he changed it to the other one to see if that would change and it did not. Should there be two wires. We used this same system with our previous receiver and picked up all of the channels..it has only changed since we got this new receiver. Do lnbs go bad and be able to view only part of the channels. I know I have asked a lot of questions but hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance.

You have a TWIN LNB that only needs 1 cable hooked to it. On the remote select menu then 6 then 1 then 1 that should bring you to the point dish screen. Highlight 119 satellite and go up or down 1 transponder at a time to check your signal strengths.

Did you by any chance take this receiver from home and connect it to the RV? Did you run a check switch so the receiver would know what it is connected to?

I did highlight the 119 satellite and the signal strength was 65 which I thought was good. I brought the receiver from home and did run a check switch on it also. I don't remember what it said. If it didn't work, why would we get only part of the stations?

I did highlight the 119 satellite and the signal strength was 65 which I thought was good. I brought the receiver from home and did run a check switch on it also. I don't remember what it said. If it didn't work, why would we get only part of the stations?
There are 32 transponders on a satellite not all of them are 65 you need to highlight transponders and move them up or down to get different readings of signal strength.

You have a 211 high definition receiver it usually sees 3 satellites 110/119/129 or 61.5/72.7/77 so when it was moved from home to the RV it was missing 1 satellite, running a check switch told the receiver to look for signals only on 110 & 119.

Please excuse all the not so smart questions but I'm really confused...lol! When I do the check switch do I want it to see only the 110 and 119 because I only have the twin lnb. That is why I did a check switch to begin with. Could the lnb be broken and still pick up part of the stations....is that a possiblility? The tech from Dish told me to buy a new lnb....Dish Pro Plus Twin. In your opinion, do you think that would be worth a try?

I have Americas top 200. I'm missing the channels like tlc abc family the channels that are on 119 satellite. Should I try buying a new lnb?

Last edited:
On satellite 119 please record the signal strength for each transponder. Some will be zero because they are spotbeams others will be low or zero. If all even or all odd transponders are missing it indicates a cabling or LNB problem. When you ran the switch test how many tests were there 2,3,38,50?

I have Americas top 200. I'm missing the channels like tlc abc family the channels that are on 119 satellite. Should I try buying a new lnb?

TLC is on 119, transponder 8
ABC Family is on 119, transponder 10

Do a menu-6-1-1 to get to point dish screen. Select sat 119, then select the transponders above to check signal strength. If you get good signal, then it's something in the authorization, if no signal on those do this; check transponders 9 & 11. If you get good lock on those, then there is a polarity switching issue (seeing only odd or only even transponders, not both). That could be one of 3 things; polarity voltage not switching in the receiver (stuck on high output), LNB not switching when commanded to do so, or a bad connector outside causing a voltage loss and the LNB not actually seeing a HI command...

Just trying a little troubleshooting for you before you start throwing $$ at it...

Thanks so much for all of the advise. I'll be going up this Friday and I'll give all of these suggestions a try. I will let you know how it goes.

I tried the transponder test and all of my even transponders are not showing any signal strenth. Also, when I do the check switch test it says the check switch has found you have fewer satellites than previously detected. Selecting "Save" will result in a loss of channels. So I canceled out of that. I also tried transponder 9 and 11 and get a 66 strength on both of them. I don't think it could be our receiver because I had it authorized at home as we do not have great cell phone reception by the lake and it worked very well. So do you think my next step would be purchasing a new lnb?

I tried the transponder test and all of my even transponders are not showing any signal strenth. Also, when I do the check switch test it says the check switch has found you have fewer satellites than previously detected. Selecting "Save" will result in a loss of channels. So I canceled out of that. I also tried transponder 9 and 11 and get a 66 strength on both of them. I don't think it could be our receiver because I had it authorized at home as we do not have great cell phone reception by the lake and it worked very well. So do you think my next step would be purchasing a new lnb?
How many tests did it do ? It came back with fewer satellites because it was looking for the 3 you have at home not the 2 you have at the RV, run it again and save the results.

If the switch check is more than 3 tests you have LEHACY ELECTRONICS on the dish (OLD) and loss of all odd or even transponders could indicate a cabling problem, More than likely is your 211 is expecting Dish Pro Electronics on your home system and you have LEGACY ELECTRONICS on your RV system. You just need to save the information so the receiver knows how to operate the equipment at the RV.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the good advise. We did exactly what you said about saving the results and it worked. The unbelievable thing is a Dish Network Installer was here at our RV and just told us to buy a new lnb. And something as simple as saving the results worked. I really appreciate all of the help with this. It is so nice of all of you to take the time to do that. You all are way more knowledgable than anyone I have talked to regarding this that are so called experts. Thanks again....

Thanks so much for the good advise. We did exactly what you said about saving the results and it worked. The unbelievable thing is a Dish Network Installer was here at our RV and just told us to buy a new lnb. And something as simple as saving the results worked. I really appreciate all of the help with this. It is so nice of all of you to take the time to do that. You all are way more knowledgable than anyone I have talked to regarding this that are so called experts. Thanks again....
Your welcome. When you take the 211 home you will have to run the check switch again so it can learn how to work on the home system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)