Only getting odd transponders on 101W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

senia

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
I am only getting odd transponders at about 70-72 but no even transponders (it shows 0 for all of them), is this because of the low signal?

Also, when I do an auto detect on D11-100 the test fails, says there is zero satellites, I guess this is because even transponders are not working....

What hardware? Is this a new install or has it worked before and is NOW losing?

Receiver: D11
Dish:
Switches:

New install. This with a dual lnb from Dish Network mounted on the Dish 500, right next to 110W lnb., with D11-100 receiver. Connected through a Zinwell 6802 switch. I should probably try my 30 inch round dish that I was going to use for 95W, the 101W lnb should not very far from the 95W. I bet that will do the trick - with a 30 inch i have to have a good signal, vs this side reflection at 70% with Dish 500 dish. I am using brand new RG6 cables, so there should not be any problems there. The lnbs are not new however. But why would that make any difference - if it works with one?

Last edited:
You are trying to pull DirecTV with a Dish Network setup? Which package(s) do you subscribe to?

senia said:
New install. This with a dual lnb from Dish Network mounted on the Dish 500, right next to 110W lnb., with D11-100 receiver. Connected through a Zinwell 6802 switch. I should probably try my 30 inch round dish that I was going to use for 95W, the 101W lnb should not very far from the 95W. I bet that will do the trick - with a 30 inch i have to have a good signal, vs this side reflection at 70% with Dish 500 dish. I am using brand new RG6 cables, so there should not be any problems there. The lnbs are not new however. But why would that make any difference - if it works with one?

Last edited:
I am about to subscribe to one of the international packages coming from 95W, but will also need basic package from 101W (they require a $10 package). Why? Does it make a difference as far as getting the signal from a satellite which reflector I am going to use, same technology, right? Also, shouldn't legacy Dish lnbs be compatible with DirecTV, that is what I hear from some of the experts?

Most likely the problem is with the signal strength, right?

Last edited:
I don't deal with any of the dish stuff, especially the older gear, and never used it do pull another companies signal. I am referring you to some of the experts in that, and I bet now that its clear what you are trying to do, other users that do this will chime in.

Suppose I were to add another lnb to my 30 inch round dish, which is tuned to 95W, would the fact 101 and 95 are located pretty close to each other be a problem.I should be able to get both of the lnbs fit and working with 6 degrees separation with a 30 inch round dish?

The actual international dish DTV66 which gets both is just a cut version of a round dish,and is of the same shape, I mean did they come up with some funky shape to accomodate for 2 closely located satellites, or two lnbs would fit together just fine too on a regular round 30 inch dish?

I was prepared to offer suggestions up until I saw how you were trying to accomplish this.

Here's a tip- purchase equipment that is actually made for what you are trying to do- namely the proper dish and LNBs.

benj said:
I was prepared to offer suggestions up until I saw how you were trying to accomplish this.

Here's a tip- purchase equipment that is actually made for what you are trying to do- namely the proper dish and LNBs.

That is not fun, and is too easy (although costs 80 dollars) :) Besides, my balcony would be too crowded with all these antennas. I think following their pattern and placing 101W lnb on a larger dish should work. What what I was able to see on other forums, this is most likely caused by low signal.

hi.

multi-switch or lnb failure.

how many recievers do you have, if more then one, then is the problem limited to just one reciever?

most probable cause is a failure in the multi switch. i'd replace it. if the issue does not resolve, then replace the lnb

and while i agree you should use the correct equipment, this setup should work the way you have it

I doubt this is multiswitch - i tried replacing zinwell 6802 with zinwell 3x4 switch, with just the two wires from 101W lnb, no 95W in the picture, and I got the same exact thing - only odd transponders. If I connect the lnb directly without any switches, i should be able to eliminate the switch as a problem, right? And if that doesn't work, they I will try another lnb.

that would work.
99% of even/odd issues are multi switch failures. The remaining 1% are idiots putting a normal non powered splitter between the multi switch and the reciever.

BTW. even if you dont have a standalone multi switch there is switching equipment in the lnb. replace the lnb and see what happens.

alo something to consider. if you have an account with dtv, they'll sell you a 1lnb dish, tripod, compass, and dvd on how to use it for 50 bucks plus shipping.

VIPERS-PIT said:
I find all dish gear "odd"!!!!

Well, at least they don't require you to fine tune you dish to a satellite and only then be able to configure it on your receiver - that is the case with 95W, a good thing I have an FTA receiver that I can use as a signal meter and to make sure i am looking at the right satellite (still needed to add a transponder data - it only had C-band transponders pre-programmed, but at least I can see the signal levels live. With this DirecTV receiver they expect me to adjust the dish first and then autodetect it - that is just bizzare!!!! With Dish receivers i can see the signal right away. I think Dish is much more user friendly in installation. But i don't have a choice - my favorite russian channel moved to DirecTV from Dish :(

Dish really sucks with customer service and their policies, however - first call for me was when they silently replaced one russian channel with another, which was definitely substandard, while continuing to charge as if nothing happened. No notice, nothing. Then when i called, they were trying to tell me something like - this one is better, please watch it. I told them to go to hell and removed it from my plan. Then they started running ads that "some customers can get a DVR with a free exchange of equipment", when i called them, it turned out to be not exactly free - they wanted 50 bucks, and 6 dollars every months after that, and would not explain what they meant by "free exchange", referred me to the russian department, which then called me at 6 am in the morning ( i am on the west coast), again they could not access my account to tell me how i could get a free DVR, and told me to call back.... I am totally disgusted with Dish, but still think that their installation is way simpler.

Last edited:
I can connect each of the dual lnb connectors directly to the receiver (one at a time, of course) and each of them should be able to see both even and odd transponders, right? And if that is not the case, I need a new lnb. I will also try getting stronger signal first.

Ok, connected the receiver directly to the lnb, and got all of the transponders. THen i added a switch in between adn measured teh voltage, for even transponders (18 Volt connector) i measure 18.7V volt after the switch, and appearently that is not enough for my lnb, it is not switching. The voltage without the switch is 19.7V, and it is working fine.

I guess the Dish network lnbs are too picky and 18.6-18.7 volts is not enough for them. Can someone please verify that Direct TV lnbs will work fine with this voltage? The 6802 switch appearently is dropping the voltage by 1 volt. :( The 3x4
switch output shows even lower voltage - about 18.3, on the lnb side.

What is the lowest voltage Directv lnbs work for even transponders?

senia said:
Ok, connected the receiver directly to the lnb, and got all of the transponders. THen i added a switch in between adn measured teh voltage, for even transponders (18 Volt connector) i measure 18.7V volt after the switch, and appearently that is not enough for my lnb, it is not switching. The voltage without the switch is 19.7V, and it is working fine.

I guess the Dish network lnbs are too picky and 18.6-18.7 volts is not enough for them. Can someone please verify that Direct TV lnbs will work fine with this voltage? The 6802 switch appearently is dropping the voltage by 1 volt. :( The 3x4
switch output shows even lower voltage - about 18.3, on the lnb side.

What is the lowest voltage Directv lnbs work for even transponders?

Even transponders only need 17v to switch over. You are getting enough voltage but the Dish lnb may not know to use one output for even and one for odd. What I am saying is it may not work with the switch at all. It may but I have only seen 1 or 2 DTV receivers hooked up in this situation.

Ok, just ordered a new lnb for DirecTV on ebay, that shoud solve the problem.
Thanks to all!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts