Only receiving 10 on 32 transponders post installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JigB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Hi.

I've just installed the LNB3 SWM dish and after getting the azimuth, elevation and tilt from the Directv receiver (after putting in my zip code), I am only seeing strong signals (95 and up) on transponders 22,23 and 25-32. Does anyone know what might be the reason why I'm missing signals from the transponders 1 through almost 24?

First are you looking at the 101 signal level screen?

If so it sounds like the dish is pointed at 119 instead of 101 ...

I am looking at the 101 satellite screen with all 32 transponders.

1) From what I've mentioned, how are you able to tell that I'm pointing at 119?
2) What should I do to point it to 101?

Also, I am also trying to use the dishpointer website to ensure I have the correct elevation, azimuth, and tilt but the one piece I don't quite know how to pick is the second drop down about the satellite. Which one do I select?

Also, I am also trying to use the dishpointer website to ensure I have the correct elevation, azimuth, and tilt but the one piece I don't quite know how to pick is the second drop down about the satellite. Which one do I select?
If you have good numbers on the high transponders on the 101 and nothing on the rest, your probably seeing the 119 instead, move to the left slowly and repoint.

I am looking at the 101 satellite screen with all 32 transponders.

1) From what I've mentioned, how are you able to tell that I'm pointing at 119?
2) What should I do to point it to 101?
1) Because DIRECTV has only 11 transponders on 119 numbered 22-32 that will also erroneously display on those same numbers of the 101 screen if the dish is mistakenly pointed at it.

Now on 119, since tps. 23, 25, 29, and 31 are spotbeam, then assuming one of those is reading 0 at your location, this will give you the 10 tps. you're seeing on the 101 screen.

2) Try to slowly turn the azimuth east 9°

If you have good numbers on the high transponders on the 101 and nothing on the rest, your probably seeing the 119 instead, move to the left slowly and repoint.

Thanks Jimbo. When you say "move it left and repoint", are you suggesting I adjust the dish by moving it to the west (adjust its azimuth)?

On that box first select the "Multi-LNB Setups" category atop the box.

Then find and select "DirecTV SL3 (99W, 101W, 103W)" from the drop-down menu.

:welcome to Satelliteguys JigB!

As noted you are no doubt pointing too far to the west.

Thanks All for your help!

I'll go ahead and make the adjustments and let you know (may take me a day or two as busy at work and in the evenings).

One other question: My condo is on the first floor and I cannot really move it any higher. Does the elevation need to be adjusted to take into account the lower location of the dish?

Thanks All for your help!

I'll go ahead and make the adjustments and let you know (may take me a day or two as busy at work and in the evenings).

One other question: My condo is on the first floor and I cannot really move it any higher. Does the elevation need to be adjusted to take into account the lower location of the dish?
The elevation is based on your location, the skew determines that the dish "hits" all of the satellites it should because they aren't all at the same elevation. Not where you are anyways.

The elevation is based on your location, the skew determines that the dish "hits" all of the satellites it should because they aren't all at the same elevation. Not where you are anyways.

Thanks...so does that mean that the skew or tilt (I've read that they are the same?) will need to be adjusted?

Thanks...so does that mean that the skew or tilt (I've read that they are the same?) will need to be adjusted?
Skew and tilt are the same thing. It may already be fine, probably is. It's the elevation that may need adjusting if you really are picking up 119 instead of 101. 101 is higher in the sky where you are.

And believe it or not, in the past some individuals with multi-story homes would honestly try and mount dishes as high as they could thinking it would improve reception by being closer to the satellites ...lol

Seemingly unaware that even if you have a dish atop the spire of the One World Trade Center, the distance above ground level of even the tallest man-made structures is totally insignificant compared the over 23, 000 mi. out to the Clarke belt of satellites!

However, if you would have LOS problems at or near ground level from a nearby obstruction, being high up and above it in an MDU or something would be an advantage of course ...

Reactions: Jimbo
Theoretically, if I am pointing to the 101 satellite (assuming I get the azimuth right), I should see some signal strength on the 1-24 transponders, even if it is weak, correct? That would tell me I'm pointing to the correct satellite and I just need to either tweak the angles a little or resolve LOS issues?

Or would LOS issues, even if it's not a total blockage, still give me zero on the transponders?

In essence, I'm asking what I should start to see on the 1-24 transponders once I am pointing to 101 instead of 119.

Cheers again!

You should see some signal on all of the transponders if you are pointed at 101. It depends upon what is blocking the los whether or not it shows any signal.

Theoretically, if I am pointing to the 101 satellite (assuming I get the azimuth right), I should see some signal strength on the 1-24 transponders, even if it is weak, correct? That would tell me I'm pointing to the correct satellite and I just need to either tweak the angles a little or resolve LOS issues?

Or would LOS issues, even if it's not a total blockage, still give me zero on the transponders?

In essence, I'm asking what I should start to see on the 1-24 transponders once I am pointing to 101 instead of 119.

Cheers again!
Unless there is a really significant obstruction blocking you from 101W.

You should see strong levels in the 90s and above on all 32 tps. except possibly for tps. 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28, which are spotbeam and some or all but one of them may read low or 0.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts