Only SD has black border all the way around

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
I am new to VOOM. Just the SD material as an even black border around.. I am using DVI connected to my Sammy DLP. I have the resolution at 1080I and letting the SAMMY do the down conversation to 720P. My previous STB never did this nor does any off air not using the DSR550. HD is fine Is that normal. It is a very even black border on all 4 sides.

SD material will have black bars on the side always. I am not sure what you mean. I have a sammy DLP which I finally decided to connect the DVI today and I have set at 720p.

Sean Mota said:
SD material will have black bars on the side always. I am not sure what you mean. I have a sammy DLP which I finally decided to connect the DVI today and I have set at 720p.

Even if you specify stretched mode on SD there are black bars? Also, how can you tell what the ouput to the Sammy is 720 P (IE ESPNHD) or 1080I on other channels? Is there a screen either on the Sammy or on the DSR 550 that tells you? (other than just knowing) I see that some discovered that some of the Cinema were in 720 and not 1080I. How was that discovered?

Thanks

Jack

There will be black bars on the sides of SD OTA usually. They are broadcast by the affiliate. I couldnt get rid of them with my D* hughes e86 nor my V* STB.

Gutter, are you talking about _non_ OTA SD? If so, something to try (and if your TV doesn't have problems doing this) is to set the STB to "native", which *should* allow you to use the zoom and stretch modes for 480i content on your Sammy. This works on my Panasonic 4UY plasma via component, but YMMV.

deeann said:
Gutter, are you talking about _non_ OTA SD? If so, something to try (and if your TV doesn't have problems doing this) is to set the STB to "native", which *should* allow you to use the zoom and stretch modes for 480i content on your Sammy. This works on my Panasonic 4UY plasma via component, but YMMV.

I may give that a try. I also have a 10 foot C-band and the same channels don't have a black bar. I did try native and now the black bar is on the left side of the screen with the picture pushed to the right. Also a little black along the bottom edge. I know this isn't the set because it didn't do it until I just hooked up the DSR 550. HD as far as filling screen goes is ok.

gutter said:
I may give that a try. I also have a 10 foot C-band and the same channels don't have a black bar. I did try native and now the black bar is on the left side of the screen with the picture pushed to the right. Also a little black along the bottom edge. I know this isn't the set because it didn't do it until I just hooked up the DSR 550. HD as far as filling screen goes is ok.

Okay- for grins (in native mode) turn off the STB with the remote. Then turn it back on and see if the SD pic is still pushed to the right (edit: or even before that, change channels slowly back and forth to see if the position fixes itself).

Also, have you had Voom for at least one day so far (want to make sure you have the latest software so what I suggest for you to try doesn't lock up the box).

Edit: gotta go, if any of the above doesn't help maybe someone else can jump in.

What????????? There will be black bars on the SD Channels??? I get installed June 10, and let me tell you, if that's what I'm gonna get, they may as well put the equipment back in their box. NO WAY will I settle for that. I never had bars with Dish Network. And I am not gonna get it with Voom. My tv has many stretch modes so hopefully I can get rid of that, But if Voom is having this black bar problem, they should forget about adding any programming and concentrate 100% of their time on fixing this problem. It is absolutely unexeptable!!!!!!!

xtc said:
What????????? There will be black bars on the SD Channels??? I get installed June 10, and let me tell you, if that's what I'm gonna get, they may as well put the equipment back in their box. NO WAY will I settle for that. I never had bars with Dish Network. And I am not gonna get it with Voom. My tv has many stretch modes so hopefully I can get rid of that, But if Voom is having this black bar problem, they should forget about adding any programming and concentrate 100% of their time on fixing this problem. It is absolutely unexeptable!!!!!!!

Stretch will make your picture look strange. Its just a fact of life with HD.
I had comcast HD STB and it did same thing. I could choose Stretch mode and have wierd looking fish bowl picture or use 1080I and let it downconvert and have that box picture with black bars on all sides. and picture is in correct dimension. Did not bother me.

With VOOM there is an easy fix and it just requires toggling your video button on your remote control.

What i do is that I have my Standard Rca jack output to my home theatre system and also my component HD also thru my home theatre system.
My home theatre receiver outputs my standard RCA signal to Video 1 of my Sony Wega, Then my component HD goes to input 2 and my DVI is plugged directly into input 3 of wega.

No when I am wathing a HD channel on my Voom box i toggle my Tv's input to either input 2 or 3 for my Component or DVI signal.

Then when I am watching a SD channel on my voom box I switch my TV to input 1 (rca jack signal) and I get normal 480I full screen picture that is not stretched. Just like I would with Dish or Direct or Cable.
Heck even my wife can do it so I know it is not that big a problem.

Other then that I dont know your paticular set but if you have Voom box set to 780 or 1080 and dont want full screen I think your going to be unhappy unless your stretch works better then mine.

Just tryin to help. :rolleyes:

xtc said:
What????????? There will be black bars on the SD Channels???
Is your TV set wide-screen (16:9)?
Assuming yes: you can set your STB to stretch SD channels to fill the entire frame, or you can choose not to, in which case you will see black bars on the left and on the right. However, keep in mind that this will only affect SD channels. Some HD channels like StarzHD and possibly some of your local HD channels show SD (4:3) programs from time to time. These programs will not be stretched unless the broadcaster decides to stretch them. You can try zoom/stretch modes of your TV set, but many HDTV set will not let you change geometry of HD channels.

Hope this helps,

Ilya.

iceshark said:
Stretch will make your picture look strange. Its just a fact of life with HD.
I had comcast HD STB and it did same thing. I could choose Stretch mode and have wierd looking fish bowl picture or use 1080I and let it downconvert and have that box picture with black bars on all sides. and picture is in correct dimension. Did not bother me.

With VOOM there is an easy fix and it just requires toggling your video button on your remote control.

What i do is that I have my Standard Rca jack output to my home theatre system and also my component HD also thru my home theatre system.
My home theatre receiver outputs my standard RCA signal to Video 1 of my Sony Wega, Then my component HD goes to input 2 and my DVI is plugged directly into input 3 of wega.

No when I am wathing a HD channel on my Voom box i toggle my Tv's input to either input 2 or 3 for my Component or DVI signal.

Then when I am watching a SD channel on my voom box I switch my TV to input 1 (rca jack signal) and I get normal 480I full screen picture that is not stretched. Just like I would with Dish or Direct or Cable.
Heck even my wife can do it so I know it is not that big a problem.

Other then that I dont know your paticular set but if you have Voom box set to 780 or 1080 and dont want full screen I think your going to be unhappy unless your stretch works better then mine.

Just tryin to help. :rolleyes:

I meant and want want full screen.

Just to clarify for everyone: iceshark's suggestions apply only if you have a 4:3 HDTV set. If you have a wide-screen (16:9) HDTV set, you do not need to do this trick.

Ilya said:
Just to clarify for everyone: iceshark's suggestions apply only if you have a 4:3 HDTV set. If you have a wide-screen (16:9) HDTV set, you do not need to do this trick.

Sorry, Forgot to add that!
Thanks for keeping it honest.

Have a good one!

Ilya said:
Assuming yes: you can set your STB to stretch SD channels to fill the entire frame, or you can choose not to, in which case you will see black bars on the left and on the right. However, keep in mind that this will only affect SD channels. Some HD channels like StarzHD and possibly some of your local HD channels show SD (4:3) programs from time to time. These programs will not be stretched unless the broadcaster decides to stretch them. You can try zoom/stretch modes of your TV set, but many HDTV set will not let you change geometry of HD channels.

Hope this helps,

Ilya.

Yes, I have a 52" Widescreen (16:9). How do I set the STB to stretch it so that the entire screen is filled? If i do this, will it look odd, like the fish bowl effect or whatever? I dont understand how anybody would choose not to have their entire screen filled up. Why would I buy a 52" television if I'm not gonna be able to see all of it, that's rediculous.

xtc said:
Yes, I have a 52" Widescreen (16:9). How do I set the STB to stretch it so that the entire screen is filled? If i do this, will it look odd, like the fish bowl effect or whatever? I dont understand how anybody would choose not to have their entire screen filled up. Why would I buy a 52" television if I'm not gonna be able to see all of it, that's rediculous.

I agree!
When I first had Comcast HD and mind you I have a 4.3 HDTV monitor.
I liked FREAKED when the installer said I would be only getting a 25inch boxed picture with HD channels and he said it was networks fault.

Luckliy I found the trick I mentioned about.
I dont know why it would not work for a 16.9 tv as well.
Try it out!

Have a good one.

Ilya said:

Hope this helps,

Ilya.
Ihave mine on stretch and still have black bars on all 4 sides in 1080I mode and in Native the picture is shifted to the right with on big black bar on the left and think black on top and bottom. I shoudl point out that I also have a 10ft. C-band setup for the last 20 years so I am no stranger to Satellite. Just new to little bitty pizza size dishses. On my big dish on the same set. it fills the screen. No Problem there. I want to say that my DSR says that I have V16 firmware. i don't know if that is the latest or not. 5.68 software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)