Status
Please reply by conversation.

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
Well we moved from Northern Va to Massanutten Va(the mountains)and had put the D* account in what they now call "suspend".I have contacted them about the locals and am told to check the eligibility page,well what do you know it shows that the stations are broadcasting "Grade A-B signals" so I have to get the stations OTA,who in the hell determinded this was a go---the call signs for the stations are Washington D.C. and Richmond Va between 80 and 100 miles away.I have gotten a Terrestial DB8 and with some mods to it been able to get Richmond pretty good but CBS is being a bit of a pain,haven't been able to tweak it quite right.We do watch a fair amount of CBS so it not being the best in signal strength is a worry. D* does not have any power to to provide me locals,but being almost 100 miles out from a digital broadcast,you would think that there would be a compromise.We have had D* for over 8 years and would keep them another 20,but this locals crap is crazy.We currently have Adelphia since it was here when we bought the house,just increased it to thier top pak and best internet,and there is no contract.But the D* account has to have something done to it,CSR said suspend was only good for 2 months and the time is running out,Adelphia does offer 17 HD channels now and the buy out is to happen here around summer if all goes as planned,there is word that 4 more HD channels will come in the months after.I really liked the quality of the D*,but am having serious doubts if it is worth to continue the service,it may be years before they have as much programming as we currently have.Granted the PQ is not perfect but not that much below D*/E* if at all.Anyone else ever been this far away from towers and been told"get your own locals"? Talked to E* a bit but they seem even less interested,guess they don't want subs that want the"everthing paks"

It is the local stations more than the FCC. Trust me. I have talked to both on the phone. The FCC could not careless about this. It is the pinheads running the local stations that are doing this.

Eric Goempel said:
It is the local stations more than the FCC. Trust me. I have talked to both on the phone. The FCC could not careless about this. It is the pinheads running the local stations that are doing this.

I agree, I'd like those "pinheads" to drive the 80-100 miles out here and help me adjust the antenna,for the best signal.Getting to be a bit of a pain going up and down the roof getting the best settings

"Move" (hint,hint) to an address that does offer HD locals. Keep your billing address as the new one but the service one with avail HD.

• You don't live near a metropolitan area---Don't
• You can't get any TV reception whatsoever---Analog
• You live more than 70 miles from TV station broadcast towers---between 80-100miles

From D* website,and of course I am more than 70 miles from the "Digital signals",but of course closer for local "Analog signal"and that is just what I want to feed to the 56" Sammy/50"Sony/and the 37"LCD and really enjoy the PQ.It is such a catch all as the law is written.If they would give me the Wash DC locals I would still be viewing all the local commericals/info/etc that the stations need to stay in business.

scotsmanron said:
And what good is that going to do? Seriously?

Sometimes a "nice" phone call to the local station and telling them your problem will result in them granting a wavier for you. I've done it with two stations and got the waiver both times.

The local stations take the 'as long as you get SD feeds from D*, then you have ZERO right to ANY HD channels'.

branchbouncer said:
Well we moved from Northern Va to Massanutten Va(the mountains)and had put the D* account in what they now call "suspend".I have contacted them about the locals and am told to check the eligibility page,well what do you know it shows that the stations are broadcasting "Grade A-B signals" so I have to get the stations OTA,who in the hell determinded this was a go---the call signs for the stations are Washington D.C. and Richmond Va between 80 and 100 miles away.I have gotten a Terrestial DB8 and with some mods to it been able to get Richmond pretty good but CBS is being a bit of a pain,haven't been able to tweak it quite right.We do watch a fair amount of CBS so it not being the best in signal strength is a worry. D* does not have any power to to provide me locals,but being almost 100 miles out from a digital broadcast,you would think that there would be a compromise.We have had D* for over 8 years and would keep them another 20,but this locals crap is crazy.We currently have Adelphia since it was here when we bought the house,just increased it to thier top pak and best internet,and there is no contract.But the D* account has to have something done to it,CSR said suspend was only good for 2 months and the time is running out,Adelphia does offer 17 HD channels now and the buy out is to happen here around summer if all goes as planned,there is word that 4 more HD channels will come in the months after.I really liked the quality of the D*,but am having serious doubts if it is worth to continue the service,it may be years before they have as much programming as we currently have.Granted the PQ is not perfect but not that much below D*/E* if at all.Anyone else ever been this far away from towers and been told"get your own locals"? Talked to E* a bit but they seem even less interested,guess they don't want subs that want the"everthing paks"

Charlottesville is closer(28 Miles). That is strange that you would bypass Charlottesville to try to get Richmond, or DC locals?

You're not in DC, or Richmond DMA.

landlocked said:
...call the chief engineer at each station and tell him that you're having difficulty getting a strong single.... :)

He is not in the Richmond/Peterburg DMA, Or D.C. DMA. He is probaly belongs to Charlottesville. Charlottesville only broadcast on 2 stations.

The problem as I said was that I am trying to get the" big four" to take the D* account out of suspend,right now we are watching Panic Room and the OTA feed is soooooo much better than Adelphia's,but we are getting break-ups once and a while and that bothers me even though it is a free feed.I hate the backgroung noise that the cable feed gives specially in the dark scenes(granted I expect to much)The new XG91 will be here early next week,with the mod sheet that I have,and the changes to the antenna I think that there is a good chance I will pull all stations.The DB8 is good but has to wide a reception grid for Deep Fringe and the XG91 will solve that(think and hope)

I have pulled the C'ville stations 29-1 and one other I don't remember,but that is not what I want--the 4 majors(throw in PBS for the hell of it)for the shows we watch,sure it's my fault for moving away from the DMA but on the other hand I have something no one in the DC area has---Quiet--- and if worst comes to worst thats the way it will be,but I think that I can beat this(fingers crossed)

Who wants to bet that the 2009 Analog to Digital switch gets changed in the later part of 2008

Thanks for all your help FCC

Last edited:
branchbouncer said:
The problem as I said was that I am trying to get the" big four" to take the D* account out of suspend,right now we are watching Panic Room and the OTA feed is soooooo much better than Adelphia's,but we are getting break-ups once and a while and that bothers me even though it is a free feed.I hate the backgroung noise that the cable feed gives specially in the dark scenes(granted I expect to much)The new XG91 will be here early next week,with the mod sheet that I have,and the changes to the antenna I think that there is a good chance I will pull all stations.The DB8 is good but has to wide a reception grid for Deep Fringe and the XG91 will solve that(think and hope)

I have pulled the C'ville stations 29-1 and one other I don't remember,but that is not what I want--the 4 majors(throw in PBS for the hell of it)for the shows we watch,sure it's my fault for moving away from the DMA but on the other hand I have something no one in the DC area has---Quiet--- and if worst comes to worst thats the way it will be,but I think that I can beat this(fingers crossed)

Who wants to bet that the 2009 Analog to Digital switch gets changed in the later part of 2008

Thanks for all your help FCC

You problem doesn't have anything to do with FCC, D* or D.C.\Richmond station engineers.
You moved to a new DMA that doesn't offer all 4 majors ota. You can't call Richmond or DC and complain about it.

branchbouncer said:
Well we moved from Northern Va to Massanutten Va(the mountains)and had put the D* account in what they now call "suspend".

We currently have Adelphia since it was here when we bought the house.
Adelphia does offer 17 HD channels now and the buy out is to happen here around summer if all goes as planned,there is word that 4 more HD channels will come in the months after.

It sound like an easy decision, stay with Adelphia.

The waiver process for analog signals was abused by the satellite companies and their subscribers. Congress is now forcing E* and D* to carry the local channels and not cheap out by using the waiver excuse.

grydlok said:
You problem doesn't have anything to do with FCC, D* or D.C.\Richmond station engineers.
You moved to a new DMA that doesn't offer all 4 majors ota. You can't call Richmond or DC and complain about it.

• You don't live near a metropolitan area---Don't
• You can't get any TV reception whatsoever---Analog
• You live more than 70 miles from TV station broadcast towers---between 80-100miles

This is quoted from the D* website--as above I don't live near a metro area--C'ville is not a metro area as per defination of a metro area---population
I live near a tower---analog --lot of fun with 3 HDTV
I live more than 70 miles from a metro area

The problem has to do with the FCC,they have stated what cable and satellite can provide to thier subs,I don't want to watch channel 3 in Harrisonburg broadcasting what they call HD when it is not, just expanded SD.

Tower Guy said:
It sound like an easy decision, stay with Adelphia.

The waiver process for analog signals was abused by the satellite companies and their subscribers. Congress is now forcing E* and D* to carry the local channels and not cheap out by using the waiver excuse.

The thing that worries me about that is that it seems that everyting Comcrap touches turn too S---

Db8

What even pisses me off more is that when I order a deep fringe antenna,to try,such as the crap that Wineidiots/Terrestrial/Blonde/Tonge--- if I do a mod I can increase the signal rate on some stations by 50 percent,but I have to sit down and do the brain work,the only company I have had great results with is CH,when I go back to the northern VA home that is the first thing that I will grab

branchbouncer said:

The problem has to do with the FCC,they have stated what cable and satellite can provide to thier subs,I don't want to watch channel 3 in Harrisonburg broadcasting what they call HD when it is not, just expanded SD.

That is your problem you have local affils you just don't want to watch them., That is like me calling Wavy 10 in Norfolk complaining I can't get a stong signal from my home in Richmond, or Call FOX 5 in DC demanding a signal test.

blue - vhf WHSV 3 ABC HARRISONBURG VA 77° 17.9 3
blue - uhf W39AD 39 CBS CENT.ROCKINGHAM COUN VA 25° 7.4 39
blue - uhf WVPT 51 PBS STAUNTON VA 229° 31.1 51
blue - uhf W21AC 21 NBC CENT.ROCKINGHAM COUN VA 25° 7.4 21
violet - uhf WVIR 29 NBC CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 154° 43.8 29
* violet - vhf WVPT-DT 11.1 PBS STAUNTON VA 229° 31.1 11
violet - vhf WSLS 10 NBC ROANOKE VA 225° 111.7 10
violet - uhf W45AW 45 PBS FULKS RUN VA 25° 7.4 45
violet - uhf W46AE 46 FOX SOUTHERN ROCKINGHAM VA 139° 12.1 46
violet - uhf WAZM-CA 25 TBN STAUNTON/WAYNESBORO VA 139° 12.0 25
violet - uhf W28BF 28 NBC HARRISONBURG VA 139° 12.1 28
violet - uhf W31CE 31 NBC BRIDGEWATER, ETC. VA 229° 31.0 31
violet - uhf W18AA 18 CBS SOUTHERN ROCKINGHAM VA 139° 12.1 18
* violet - uhf WHSV-DT 49.1 ABC HARRISONBURG VA 77° 17.9 49
violet - vhf WDBJ 7 CBS ROANOKE VA 225° 112.2 7
violet - uhf W38AV 38 PBS LURAY VA 77° 17.9 38

You not even close enough for them to even care.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts