Open Letter to DIRT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
To DIRT
On March 1st my VIP612 was deemed in need of replacement. It was an owned receiver out of warranty so I added Protection Plan for free replacement and shipping. I also activated a 625 so I would have programming. On March 1st I received an email notifying me a replacement had been ordered and a follow up email would contain tracking and shipping information.

Follow up email never came. On Wed. March 5th I called to find out where my replacement was and I was told it was in Dallas delayed due to storms. Ok I admit we had storms that closed schools but USPS managed to complete their deliveries both Mon. & Tues.

Thurs. I received my replacement 612 and followed the instructions and it activated OK. I have a whole house distribution system combined with OTA. Guess what the UHF remotes wouldn't work, well years ago when I was setting up my system I found I had to program the 612 for UHF. At that time I found one tech in advanced tech. support knew how to do it. So I asked for advanced tech support when I called in, after 3 reps and being transferred to a Spanish speaking rep and getting several methods that didn't work I hung up while on hold I ended up getting it to work by combining my memory with the attempts of tech support. WHY CAN'T THE 612 BE SHIPPED TO WORK WITH BOTH IR/UHF OUT OF THE BOX? As far as I know this is the only DISH receiver that is shipped in IR mode but has UHF capabilities.

To switch to IR/UHF:
Push and HOLD the sat button till all lights light up.
Push record twice on a UHF REMOTE.
Push # to store info just like setting an address

After all frustration CALL DIRECTV to see if they can come close to programming.

I guess you never had that happen. It sucks when that happens. Does the receiver use the same as other receivers? Comcast did the same thing to my aunt, and I spent three hours digging up the manufacturers codes to sync the remote to the correct receiver. Comcast likes to give the TV codes, but not the cable receiver codes. Just some sympathy.

You could have come here to help with the remote. The 612 (TV1 only) , like the 722/622, etc, are/were all shipped IR for TV1 use. So, yours was NOT out of the ordinary.

As KAB said, the 612 is meant for use with one TV and the average customer (not anyone who is reading this) would not be using a UHF remote. Programming a remote, UHF or I/R, to a receiver is something that any agent should have been able to assist you with. I apologize for the frustration that occurred on your call and with the shipping delays.

WHY CAN'T THE 612 BE SHIPPED TO WORK WITH BOTH IR/UHF OUT OF THE BOX?

I got two leased units in the early days of the 612. Back then, both shipped with a UHF Pro 6.3 remote already set for UHF mode. This appears to be a change in the way Dish does things these days. What remote did you get?

My first stop for getting help programming the remote would have been SatelliteGuys.

You could have come here to help with the remote. The 612 (TV1 only) , like the 722/622, etc, are/were all shipped IR for TV1 use. So, yours was NOT out of the ordinary.

agreed.. all I put in are set to IR for TV1 use by default.

As KAB said, the 612 is meant for use with one TV and the average customer (not anyone who is reading this)...

I apologize for the frustration that occurred on your call and with the shipping delays.
What are you suggesting with your first comment ? :D

No need to apologize for delays from UPS or FedEx though...

Are the 612's out of the box now not just including the IR remote now?
This was a replacement receiver it came without any cabling or remotes. I already had 5 UHF and 2 IR remotes for use anywhere in the house.

My first thought was exactly what TheKrell said. It's been several years but my 612's were programmed for UHF with the 6.3.

Which makes me realize, and I about to jinx it, they have remained quite stable for many years now. (I do have a fan for the one in the audio rack, and I have it hard reset every night for years.)

I always forgot how to program Dish remotes since it only happens every few years and I sleep in between programmings. Google search has lead me to the right place every time. I suppose I could have called Dish, but I prefer search.

Yup. Programming remotes is very simple and has been covered on this forum too many times to count. Any 5 second search on the Internet would find instructions as well. In other words.... It's not difficult.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

To DIRT
On March 1st my VIP612 was deemed in need of replacement. It was an owned receiver out of warranty so I added Protection Plan for free replacement and shipping. I also activated a 625 so I would have programming. On March 1st I received an email notifying me a replacement had been ordered and a follow up email would contain tracking and shipping information.

Follow up email never came. On Wed. March 5th I called to find out where my replacement was and I was told it was in Dallas delayed due to storms. Ok I admit we had storms that closed schools but USPS managed to complete their deliveries both Mon. & Tues.

Thurs. I received my replacement 612 and followed the instructions and it activated OK. I have a whole house distribution system combined with OTA. Guess what the UHF remotes wouldn't work, well years ago when I was setting up my system I found I had to program the 612 for UHF. At that time I found one tech in advanced tech. support knew how to do it. So I asked for advanced tech support when I called in, after 3 reps and being transferred to a Spanish speaking rep and getting several methods that didn't work I hung up while on hold I ended up getting it to work by combining my memory with the attempts of tech support. WHY CAN'T THE 612 BE SHIPPED TO WORK WITH BOTH IR/UHF OUT OF THE BOX? As far as I know this is the only DISH receiver that is shipped in IR mode but has UHF capabilities.

To switch to IR/UHF:
Push and HOLD the sat button till all lights light up.
Push record twice on a UHF REMOTE.
Push # to store info just like setting an address

After all frustration CALL DIRECTV to see if they can come close to programming.

Per Zach's comment, and no disrespect meant, but as has been said, the users here are hardly the average user. With that said, when a customer has a very unconventional and non-standard layout, you're not going to find a lot of call center folks who can help. Having 7 TVs (wow) hooked up to a single 612 isn't normal, and while the CSRs will do what they can to help, please realize if you set up a very unusual setup like that, you're mostly on your own (or should ask here, it's far more likely someone here can help with an install like that).

Your last comment sort of hits that point. "Why can't the 612...", and you ask for a configuration that Dish doesn't really support. There's just not a logical reason to set something up like that, for something that 99%+ of the user base isn't going to use or need.

For example, if you were to take your wireless router from a telco, have it hooked to boosters, some kind of antenna to enhance signal on a large property, or something like that, you're not going to get much luck if you call the telco for help on that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)