Open Letter To Senator Boxer Regarding Dish Network & V-Chip Technology

V-chip technology is a requirement. Whether or not you see the need for it, that ship has sailed.

In order for that technology to work, there must be some form of guide data. The blocking can't be turned on without that info. E* only uses PSIP for channel identification, and willfully blocks their own guide data unless you pay extra for LIL.

This is one problem I have with Dish and that is charging extra for Guide Data and making you subscribe to local (which you can get OTA without any issues) in order to get the guide data which is already there in the PSIP data.

BTW the origional poster has asked us to remove this thread because he hasn't liked the respone he has received, however it was him that let the genie out of the bottle on this one, and like our terms of service say all posts becomes property of SatelliteGuys. SatelliteGuys is a discussion forum where people share their feelings on things. I am not going to magically close somethinig because you don't like the other peoples feelings on the topic that he started. Last time I looked the two letters after SatelliteGuys was US which I believe means UNITED STATES where people can be free to speak their opinion.

What is weird about this topic is in one way I do agree with some of what the origional poster is trying to acheive, but the other part of me is sayinig huh?!

I dont know if this is some kind of lobbiest with an adgenda or a jackass from the NAB. But he asked for our opinion and he got it.

With that said I still could be missing something here as I still can't for the life of me figure out what all of this means. The OP is very passionate on this subject and maybe I am just not understanding something. I would LOVE for him to explain things better because maybe we are missing something and this should be something we are looking into.

BTW the origional poster has asked us to remove this thread because he hasn't liked the respone he has received, however it was him that let the genie out of the bottle on this one, and like our terms of service say all posts becomes property of SatelliteGuys. SatelliteGuys is a discussion forum where people share their feelings on things. I am not going to magically close somethinig because you don't like the other peoples feelings on the topic that he started. Last time I looked the two letters after SatelliteGuys was US which I believe means UNITED STATES where people can be free to speak their opinion.
apparently his other thread OF THE SAME LINE OF CRAP was in the General area and asked to be deleted (sounds like same reasons as to why)

Honestly I am sick of "parents" using the TV as a crutch for their children then blame someone else when they see "something bad". I have 3 nieces all under the age of 10. They know when they're at my house what they can watch and what they can't. I guess last I checked me as an uncle still had control of the remote and know what my nieces should and should not see. I don't let some goofy chip that some lobbyist and the Nazi A-hole Broadcasters think should decide what kids watch. As you can tell I don't like the NAB. They like to use rules from my parents generation as to which TV channels I am allowed to get and throw a big hissy fit when they don't get their way (see significantly viewed/distants issue). That is why I have other ways of viewing out of market channels :)

If parents have issues with what their children watch, then maybe they should do a better job of parenting and not putting the kids in front of the TV for hours on end while they jibber jabber on their cell phone or do other things.

BTW if you guys would like to contact Senator Boxer, you can reach her at

Hon. Barbara Boxer
112 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202) 224-3553
(202) 224-0454 fax

You can also email her at https://boxer.senate.gov/contact/email/policy.cfm

I am thinking of printing out this thread and some of the PMs I received to guage her opinion of things. It would be great to get her feedback and maybe even better explain what all of this is about.

ViP 722 should be have function exactly like the new Dish Network DVTPal

The final analogy...

My Dish ViP 722 should behave similar to the new Dish Network DVTPal.

Read up on it. Study the specs...

Federal Communications Commission FCC 07-228
REPORT AND ORDER
Adopted: December 22, 2007 Released: December 31, 2007
By the Commission: Chairman Martin, Commissioners Copps, Adelstein, Tate and McDowell

READ in PDF
: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-228A1.pdf

PLUS +

The DISH Network DTVPal is the redesigned EchoStar TR-40, also called the SlingMedia DTVPal.

It is listed as the Echostar/Dish DTVPal, the unit is 'V-Chip' compliant and behaves as the ViP 722 OTA tuners MUST

Features:

Digital to Analog Converter with built-in Digital Tuner
Analog pass-through of NTSC analog signals to the TV
Allows Analog TVs to receive digital over-the-air broadcasts
Provides dramatically better picture and sound quality than analog over-the-air

Digital tuner enables reception of several channels of programming simultaneously, "multicasting" from participating stations, including news, weather, traffic and even digital music
Digital tuner delivers interactive capability and data services such as enhanced closed captioning.
On-screen Setup Wizard for easy customer installation
Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with instant access to up to seven days of program listings and information
Program search
Parental Controls
Closed caption support
(VCR) Event Timer: See below for details (analogous to a DVR)
Remote control with built-in aspect ratio and channel guide access.
Setup Wizard :

Scans OTA channels
Uses the customer’s zip code to confirm the time zone

Front Panel Feature :

Green power LED
Rear Panel Connections :

1 VHF/UHF antenna input for over-the-air analog and digital broadcasts
Detachable 5V power supply
A/V Connections :

1 set of female RCA connectors for stereo left and right audio and composite video
1 F-type connector with user-selectable Channel 3 or 4 NTSC RF output

Specifications :

ATSC Tuner Range :

Channels 2-6 VHF Low: 54MHz to 88MHz
Channels 7-13 VHF High: 174 MHz to 216MHz
Channels 14-69 UHF: 470MHz to 806MHz

RF Input :

75 ohm for VHF and UHF Antenna
RF Output :

NTSC, 75ohm Channel 3 or 4
Composite Video Output :

RCA Connection
Audio Outputs :

RCA Stereo Left/Right
Dimensions (approx.) :

H: 1.3” x W: 5.9” x D: 4.2”
Weight (approx.): 1.0 lbs.
Color: black
Accessories :

Infrared remote control with batteries
Owner’s Manual
RF Cable included

Event Timer:

The DISH Network DTVPal is the only CECB that we know of that will have this feature.

The DTVPal is expected to be capable of allowing the user to set event timers. This feature is useful when used with a VCR or a DVD (analogous to a DVR) recorder for recording programs in the future. An event timer will change the channel on the converter box at a predetermined time.

Additional Information

EPG (Electronic Program Guide) time zone specific. You can see what will be showing up to a week in an advance. (area dependent) Parental control user adjustable. Basic cable or satellite subscription service is no longer needed!

Channels 2 – 69 with sub channels per channel means increased available stations in your local area, some areas are even broadcasting music! Customizable closed caption (fonts, size and position on screen) with a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio.
Broadcast is high definition, for older TV’s this will mean better picture quality, equivalent to DVD picture quality.

• Convert the new Digtial signals to existing Analog /CRT TVs
• Completely programmable and software update enabled
• ATSC tuner
• RF out port
• NTSC modulated out channel (3 or 4) selectable
• IR sensor
• Parental control
• Auto Power down / Auto Scan
• Manual channel set up
• Digital close caption

Manufacturers specifications are subject to change without notice.

Now, you may pass judgement.

If you still don't get it, you're a lost cause.

Last edited:
Scott is fully aware of my feelings of the inappropriate bullying and adolescent ganging-up mentality exhibited by some of the members and staff. Its inexcusable at times.

This is what I wrote at 18:40 (06:40PM) Yesterday, May 22, 2008
(look back to page one of this post string)

Here's an excerpt:

I was a paying member years ago under a different alias, and I left because of the adolescent behavior here, I and others have been subjected to. It's clear nothing's changed.… If anything it's gotten worse.

Life is very different from when I was raised. I was taught not to be rude or condescending. I was taught, if didn't concern me, to ignore it; I taught my children the same.

I see the 'V-Chip' as an asset, other's don't. But that's no reason to be rude and insulting.

A final note on the matter... since March 1, 2007, all TVs and STB according to the FCC must utilize 'V-Chip' technology.

I thought some of you might appreciate the effort I put forth in attempting to get Dish and DirecTV to do the right thing. For the most part, I was very wrong.

It's become obvious, this isn't the forum for it.

but the 722's OTA is only functional after being activated onto an account. its main purpose and design is not to solely convert ota signals into analog format. its main purpose is to provide DBS service to a subscribing customer. the TR-40 however is not a DBS subscription based reciever. Its only job is to convert OTA digital signal to analog. When the 722 is marketed as a DTVPal reciever and we can use our 40.00 card from the govt for it, then i guess this would be a different issue. my locals are free with dda250 anyways.

Scott this may be trival but Senator Boxer is a woman Senator from California who unlike other Senators trys to do what she believes is right.

While the original post was pretty funny, this quote has to be the funniest thing I have ever read on SatelliteGuys.

This quote is the best definition I have ever found of the word "naive".

The cusp of the matter centers upon the mandates held within the document, FCC 07-228 REPORT AND ORDER .

The link 'READ the PDF' is clickable... if you don't bother to read it, you wont make the connections.

Read up on it. Study the specs...

Federal Communications Commission FCC 07-228
REPORT AND ORDER
Adopted: December 22, 2007 Released: December 31, 2007
By the Commission: Chairman Martin, Commissioners Copps, Adelstein, Tate and McDowell

READ in PDF: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-228A1.pdf

I agree we shouldn't have to pay $5.99 for OTA listings but that said V-Chip doesn't really apply when there is a setting on the receiver to block certain content.

Also V-Chip wouldn't help on programs listed as "G" or "E" or whatever the kids rating is when some shows (I've seen stuff on Spongebob that made me wonder where they were coming from) are rated for kids and meanwhile I know if I see certain things that my daughter shouldn't be watching them. That said I'm pretty open minded and could care less about v-chip as me and my brother used to just disable them on my parents tvs when they first came out so with the smarter kids these days what's the point?

That said if the OP changes it to bitch ONLY about having to pay for OTA Guide then I'm all for it :)

The cusp of the matter centers upon the mandates held within the document, FCC 07-228 REPORT AND ORDER .

The link 'READ the PDF' is clickable... if you don't bother to read it, you wont make the connections.

Why don't you cite the specific page and text in that document. No one here is about to read a 157 page document to find one paragraph. The 722 has v-chip built in. If there is no rating, it can block it. No rating on OTA programs as is the case here, then they are blocked. Your problem is solved by this, you're just demanding better functionality.

Unfortunately, what Boxer thinks is right is usually the exact opposite of what I think is right. Let me take care of my own kids.

x2

bradley2, go spend time with your daughter while you still have it. I agree, the $5 charge for guide data is crummy, however, there is nothing to stop you from hooking an antenna to you ANT input on your TV and just swapping from Cable to OTA mode settings, there, problem solved. You can use your V-chip to your hearts content. I do the same thing on my TV2 on my 622, both TVs are HD, however, TV2 is not used much, so I went with the dual tuner and just flip to OTA signal when I want to watch HD or PBS. Problem solved.....now go take your daughter shooting, hunting, or fishing, or something.