Open Post to Dish Network

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I have been with E* for about 4 years. I currently have E*, V* and Cable. V* and Cable right now give me a significant amount of programming that I want. Now this leaves E* hanging in the Dark because there is nothing that E* has that I would want now. With D* rumors getting stronger about the possibility of more HD coming to D*, I think it is time to drop the bomb on Charlie and start the sale of my E* equipment. I own a 721, two HD 6000u which I am going to put on Sale very quickly if D* gets everything they are saying they are getting. So Charlie I have been an excellent customer paying for the All Pack + Dos Latino + HD Pak, if you want to keep me, I give you until D* gets all the planning together. If you don't do anything, I'll be gone in a NY minute.

***rant: tire of waiting for E* to do something. They are asleep.

I agree, I have Dish only and have been growing very tired of them doing nothing. My latest rant is them not offering the six months free hd pack to existing customers. I hope they change their mind about that one.

I have to say I support your position. The thing I waiting for right now is what they plan to do with the new AMC satellite. Hopefully someone has their head above the sand and a slight ear to the customer wants and concerns....

Cry On

I here chevy is giving a 4000.00 rebate on a Trailblazer I have on i bought in 2002 Why can't i have the rebate???/ Sound silly??? I am tired of all the whiners on here. Everyone wants something for nothing. I guess since you are a long term customer maybe you service should just be free??? Just go back to cable or to D* I am sure you will find something to complain about there!!!!! Hey there is nothing wrong with being a cheap SOB Just please go and stop the whining. I suppose you have nothing better to do with your life then to complain that you are getting the short end of the deal. I have been with E since 1997 have two 501's, a 508, 721 and a 811. I have looked at other options and if they are better I would change but not cry or makes threats, WHERE IS MY CHEVY REBATE???? Think about it. Then just go away.

plumfam4 said:
I here chevy is giving a 4000.00 rebate on a Trailblazer I have on i bought in 2002 Why can't i have the rebate???/ Sound silly??? I am tired of all the whiners on here. Everyone wants something for nothing. I guess since you are a long term customer maybe you service should just be free??? Just go back to cable or to D* I am sure you will find something to complain about there!!!!! Hey there is nothing wrong with being a cheap SOB Just please go and stop the whining. I suppose you have nothing better to do with your life then to complain that you are getting the short end of the deal. I have been with E since 1997 have two 501's, a 508, 721 and a 811. I have looked at other options and if they are better I would change but not cry or makes threats, WHERE IS MY CHEVY REBATE???? Think about it. Then just go away.
NO ONE is forcing you to read what some consider a valid complaint. You do have the right to post your feelings just like Sean does so don't stop voicing your opinion we all have them. :)

I view this situation like credit cards... Yeah, the new customers SEEM to get the better offers, but I have not EVER been turned down by a credit card company when I call to see if they will give me an offer similar to the one new customers are getting (0%, lower apr etc).

I only have one hard and fast rule in life... Everything is Negotiable.

However, companies are not gonna give out stuff to the happy masses, just the ones who speak up for themselves now and then. Of course I am in only talking about VALID complaints (like this one) not the frivolous crap that is much too common.

korsjs said:
I agree, I have Dish only and have been growing very tired of them doing nothing. My latest rant is them not offering the six months free hd pack to existing customers. I hope they change their mind about that one.

Anyone that doesn't understand promotions, to get new customers, is also stupid enough to inflict politics into this forum!
:shh

Not following you point here. Just because he supports bush doesn't bother me. Personally I think any one who runs for president is too stupid to be president. Wanting to run should automatically disqualify you.

Anyways, promotions make sense. They are why I joined E* and not D*, but anyways all I think alot of us want is more than a token gesture to the people who are loyal and pay good money, not the people who stick around for a year. What is interesting to me is ALOT of media companies (TV, print, etc) run promos like this in 4th quarter to get yearly numbers up when most advertisers rates are set.

One rule of marketing is that it is much more expensive to get a new customer than it is to keep one. Throwing existing customers a bone every now and then goes a long way to keeping existing customers happy.

If you can trade your 2002 chevy for a new one with the same montlhy payment and if Chevy says that you can have 6 mos without payments, why wouldn't you jump?

I'm new to satellite (4 months), but what I have seen is that both satellite companies value new customers over existing ones. To me this is very short-sighted. What they may wind up doing is trading new customers for old ones. This is always an expensive proposition.

SatinKzo said:
Not following you point here. Just because he supports bush doesn't bother me. Personally I think any one who runs for president is too stupid to be president. Wanting to run should automatically disqualify you.
TRUTH!
mrschwarz said:
I'm new to satellite (4 months), but what I have seen is that both satellite companies value new customers over existing ones. To me this is very short-sighted. What they may wind up doing is trading new customers for old ones. This is always an expensive proposition.
The cellphone companies have been guilty of this for a long time, but they are starting to wise up. Verizon wil give you a "good deal" on a new phone every 2 years you're with them - as long as you commit to sticking with them - which is the same as a new customer deal.

mrschwarz said:
If you can trade your 2002 chevy for a new one with the same montlhy payment and if Chevy says that you can have 6 mos without payments, why wouldn't you jump?

Maybe I am not following this car analogy correctly. Cars you pay over time to own... after the time period you pay NOTHING except consumables (gas, maint.)

SimpleSimon said:
The cellphone companies have been guilty of this for a long time, but they are starting to wise up. Verizon wil give you a "good deal" on a new phone every 2 years you're with them - as long as you commit to sticking with them - which is the same as a new customer deal.

Simons analogy is a much better comparison.

Dish is SERVICE, you pay continuously until you no longer enjoy the service. After a commitment has expired it seems to me every month I stay with dish is like I am a new customer (minus the free dish expense), but they are really putting nothing more into me but my cash flow keeps coming in. Because of this I feel dish should focus on the current customers (who are more likely to up packages after a while... I did). Just my point of view. Not saying it's the only one that is right, but I think it is a valid way to look at it.

Another rule of marketing I remember was the FREE publicity of a Satisfied Customer. Last I remember testimonials from customers who are happy is one of the best ways companies had to get their name out and respected.

>> Not following you point here. <<

Satinkzo,

This is a forum to discuss satellite tv. If you want to talk politics, go to a political forum. You certainly have a point about those that would want the job. Especially now.

Charles,

Your comment this time is much clearer. I know where you are coming from on that and completely understand. The first post just seemed like you were attacking him just because he has GW signature. No biggie, I was just unclear on why theh comment was made.

Anyways, this isn't the only thread or forum where many posts often lead to other discussions. It's still a free country and he can do what he wants. The mods are the ones who will decide if it is appropriate or not.

By any rate... Sean and Gary have a point.

Dish HD programming is weak, and it's because they don't have the satellite space to offer it, unless you want it on 105 or 121.

Within a year they'll catch up, but they'll get killed by customers like Sean and Gary who will be fed up by then, and abandon ship.

Dish's only short term solution would be Superdish or PQ compression, dare I say the word.

I completely agree and I think Dish should realize that if they want to keep good paying customers they need to start making some concessions until they can compete technology wise. If D* really does put up all the HD they are rumored to be working on, Dish will be at a BIG disadvantage. While I have no doubt they will catch up and possibly surpass, it will take time and until then they need to keep the customers they have by making goodwill gestures to them (like free HD pak for existing customers for 6 months if they have 120 or highter etc).

Guys,

I am looking right now to change my programming with E*. I have the All Pack + Dos Latino + Locals + HD Pack (I forgot to include the locals on first post). I am not willing to eliminate E* just yet but I am going to make modifications. I am dropping to American top 180. I am disconnecting my 721 (I hardly use it anymore) and selling it. One more thing, I could not find in the Dish Network site what was the price for each individual premium package like HBO, Cinemax, SHO, Starz. Can anyone tell me how much it is? I want to see how much it is if I decide to sub to any of them through Dish. The only reason I am considering them right now is because I have six receivers with Dish and in some of them I will still need two premium packages if they are not too expensive. You may ask why not just watch them on V*. I wish but the receivers happen to be in a room where V* is not accessible (I only have two V* receivers). Also, what's the lease rental fee for the DVRs? Since I am downgrading I will pay DVRs fee now. I will still have a 501 after selling my 721. Hope you can give me this information. Thanks.

Dish is going to follow what ever Directv does in hd programming. I talked to a source at Dish the other day and he said that very thing. He also said that Dish is going to let Directv lead the battle on Hd networks like NBC ABC and FOX for once. Seems Dish doesn't want to keep fighting the battle in legal lawsuits . Dish also has used up most of it's good will with the government and the FCC with all their legal manuvering in the past when they added local into locals and distants and who can get them, years ago. Maybe the owner of Directv, Rupert Murdock who is a big Republican , will have more luck getting hd networks up on the satellite with the current Republican administration . Then of course Dish can follow their lead and avoid the legal issues.

I think you will see a return to the superdish for hd next year when the new 105 sat is up and running. It is supposed to launch next month. Then you will have plenty of room for hd channels. Dish is looking at MPEG4 and Windows media option 9 but since there is no standard yet for the industry to go by, they haven't made a decision yet on what standard to use.

One of the reasons why Dish wants to go with all rental accounts is that they can easily upgrade customers with the latest receivers . Even those that have the newest mpeg4 or windows chip sets. Then they can easily change over to the newest compression standard which will allow more bandwith and more channels, including hd channels. I think that the new compression standard chosen , will be used with the newest hd receivers. This is where they need the bandwith the most right now. :yes

Sean Mota said:
One more thing, I could not find in the Dish Network site what was the price for each individual premium package like HBO, Cinemax, SHO, Starz. Can anyone tell me how much it is? I want to see how much it is if I decide to sub to any of them through Dish. The only reason I am considering them right now is because I have six receivers with Dish and in some of them I will still need two premium packages if they are not too expensive.

Sean
I went into the "my account" on Dish and here are the prices if you get them alacarte
Shaowtime 11.99
Starz 11.99
HBO 13.99
Cinemax 11.99

Top 180 is 44.99 (49.99 with locals)
Top 180/HBO/Cinemax/Locals 66.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)