Openbox and streaming online

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markbone100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
IL
Had me one of them ideas that sounded good to try. Is there a way to take the output from the openbox and stream it to watch via wireless device?

Well, there's always the old "slingbox' but, its not "wireless." Handy, though!
The slingbox can be wireless if you connect the slingbox to a wifi game adapter.
S9 composite out --> slingbox video in --> slingbox ethernet connector to game adapter --> game adapter wifi to wireless router --> Internet
This is how I orient my dish: carry battery laptop to the dish and orient while watching wifi signal sourced from the receiver. Or I can watch wirelessly on my laptop any station being received by the S9.

Last edited:
That is COOL news! I've been wanting to try something like that, didn't know if it would fly! Now I want to try it!

Had me one of them ideas that sounded good to try. Is there a way to take the output from the openbox and stream it to watch via wireless device?

You may what to use a computer and a PC card and stream it using dvblast or MuMuDVB.

Checked the slingbox prices.......ouch!

What about the PC card for a computer, what type is required?

Started looking around, even the great Box store that sells Chinese junk carries a Netgear wireless adapter that will work with any ethernet connection on a slingbox. Just saw it tonite, around $60, powered by USB or supplied power. Going to try it for streaming my stuff soon! Should work with sling. Apparently setup is with a computer, then its free to plug in and run, if I read right. My (sling) box is not HD, but that's FINE for streaming...might give it a try! Also noticed logging in that Dish now controls sling's sight? Did they buy the whole kit and kaboodle from Sling???? Hope it doesn't end up like the Ebay/Paypal monsters!

Checked the slingbox prices.......ouch!

What about the PC card for a computer, what type is required?

Anything that has a composite input. (Which means you may need to pay a little more for one that's aimed toward video editing and whatnot, because the cheap ones that are plentiful these days probably only have a digital OTA tuner and no other inputs.) Streaming over the net from one? You'll have to research the software that comes with them to see if it offers such an option. If not, you'll have to research whether the card's driver provides a standard video device interface that you can point some other software at to stream.

Whoops, I didn't look back the thread any further when I started with the new messages today, I thought he was talking about using a video input card in place of a Slingbox. Satellite cards are indeed likely to support streaming, or at least provide an interface that does.

Status
Please reply by conversation.