Openbox Box S9 or S10??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stbel55

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
canada
I'm thinking of buying my first openbox receiver. ( Previous pansat fan ) Openbox good value for money ( $120.00 cdn ) with all the features but hearing different problems with later versions. ( S10 & up ) Being told I should buy older S9. Has anybody tested either or can give a little advice. Cheers! True FTA AMC21 & Galacy19 W/ 33" & 39" dishes. ( Toronto Canada ):)

the interface is similar (i use an unlocked s10 on my s9)... the s9 works with less glitches... scans are the same... motor movment is the same.... s10 is close to half the size... the s10 supposedly has power supply issues (i sold mine b4 that happened)

I have an S9 from the first batch imported. No major problems except the thermister failed a few months ago. (And the year+ wait for 'decent Firmware, that wasn't developed by the manufacturer, but modified by a European)
For the last while, it's impossible to tell who has manufactured the later S9, S10 etc. units imported. Some (Many?) have had power supply issues in the S10's. (Not powerful enough to run a motor and LNBF and switches simultaneously) Buy from a reputable dealer and you should be all right. Click on the above links to see the 'fixes'.
Order via fleabay from China and who knows?
Have you considered the Geosatpro microHD from site sponsor SatelliteAV?
(I'd bet some members have a script set to run, when it becomes available on the website, to automatically order one)
Might be a little more $, but I think N.A. support is worth it, along with the feature list that was developed with input from Satelliteguys members.(in a thread that went for more than 1500 posts and (I think) 1 yr)

If it was me I would pick from the three us based company's. MicroHd, RS-1933, DBS6000HD

It's not worth buying junk from china anymore. We have three great choices now.

I have 2 OpenBox S10 receivers they are running fine, i have no problems with them.

I own an Openbox S9 because I bought it last year. I've liked it since then to now and it has worked out fine for me. BUT...

Don't buy any Openbox now. For this price range, buy a GeosatPro microHD available beginning this Wednesday. You can buy direct from SatelliteAV, or you can wait maybe 1 to 2 weeks and buy from a Canadian retailer like RPS Satellite in Montreal. This is what I"m going to do. Don't even consider an Openbox for CDN$120 at this point in satellite receiver history.

PS: No such thing as True FTA. It's either FTA...or it's illegal satellite TV reception!

Looks like stbel55 just joined a few days ago. Welcome to Sat Guys!!

He may not be aware of the MircoHD, I like my Openbox S9 quite well, but will buy a MicroHD soon. stbel55 check it out, brand new coming to a sat dealer in Canada near you soon.

Some of the newest Openbox Receivers are the F3 and the X3. They are available for under $100.00, (when purchased from Satellite Dealers in China) but as mentioned it may be worth it to wait & see what the pricing & features will be for the upcoming MicroHD receiver since its sale appears to be coming very soon.

Thanks for great response everyone. Everything on hold while I check out microHD. Hope I can find dealer in Toronto Canada?

Your question about where in Canada to buy the microHD is a logical one for a potential customer to ask. But apparently too difficult for even the exclusive importer into Canada of the unit to answer. Here's the answer from the Canadian distributor of the microHD:
"[FONT=&quot]Our distribution list is not available. Once we receive this product we will be sending out a flyer to 6000 dealers across Canada. I do not have any way of knowing who will pick up this line once it is in."[/FONT]

The tone of this is that we might find out in the coming months. I personally work for an exclusive distributor of radio products manufactured overseas, and we jump at the chance to advertise our retail dealers to everybody (published on the web) to make it easy for customers to find our products. This is like pulling teeth trying to find out where we can spend our money for this receiver. Maybe I should just buy it from satelliteAV in California after all.

We do. That's one in Montreal; how about all the other cities...like the largest city in the country: Toronto? It seems unplanned and disorganized. Tough to get lineups at stores like for a new Apple product when nobody knows where to line up. :)

We do. That's one in Montreal; how about all the other cities...like the largest city in the country: Toronto? It seems unplanned and disorganized. Tough to get lineups at stores like for a new Apple product when nobody knows where to line up. :)

Nothing disorganized about the microHD release. Very typical for retail sales of FTA equipment in North America.

If your city or town is fortunate enough to have a local shop where FTA equipment is sold, inquire if they will be selling the microHD. Most cities usually do not have an FTA shop, but typically an installer might carry some stock for his customers. FTA equipment is hard to find in North America. Most equipment is sold by word of mouth, through Craigslist or through internet retail sites. Unfortunately, most cities do not have a brick and mortar store where a customer can walk-in a shop for FTA equipment.

Apple Stores maintains their company owned stores to sell their billions of dollars of overpriced goodies. Not really an apples to apples comparison! ;)

Easy to buy a Kindle..... order it through Amazon! Easy to buy a Dell ..... order it through Dell! Easy to buy a microHD ..... :cool:

The context of this thread is availability of the microHD in Canada.

Here's where we stand in Canada:
1) Two days before release, the exclusive distributor in the country does not know which dealer in Canada will sell the unit. The exclusive distributor has not notified their dealer base yet of the imminent microHD availability.
2) The only dealer who has committed to selling the unit does not know when it will arrive or its selling price.

It's not easy to buy a microHD in Canada. :canada:

Price of microHD is announced as US$125. Official specs are here.

Cyberham, wow that is a great price for All those features. If the Blind Scan is faster than the expensive AzBox Premium Plus I purchased 2 years ago, - it will be well worth the price. Wonder how much shipping to Manitoba will be?

The context of this thread is availability of the microHD in Canada.

Here's where we stand in Canada:
1) Two days before release, the exclusive distributor in the country does not know which dealer in Canada will sell the unit. The exclusive distributor has not notified their dealer base yet of the imminent microHD availability.
2) The only dealer who has committed to selling the unit does not know when it will arrive or its selling price.

It's not easy to buy a microHD in Canada. :canada:
Have you ordered directly from SatelliteAV in Rosedale? -- Are you interested in being a dealer? You know you could very likely solve the problems you are discussing and be a FABULOUS answer to many peoples questions by becoming a dealer. SatelliteAV's reputation would stand up by itself. jus'a tho't.

I have ordered directly from Rosedale in past and I would not recommend Canadians do that. Not the fault of SatelliteAV at all, but due to border crossing delay, a simple shipment of LNBs took 3 weeks from date of order to reach the east coast. Believe it or not, we have a long-time FTA dealer in our little city of Halifax who sells receivers and dishes. I am going to check if he is planning to bring the microHD in.

Thirty years ago {I know things change} We worked with a company that dropped shipped to me and came down with their pickup tuck and took everything up and across the border at the truck crossing. If all the paper work was in order they seemed to have no problem getting anything across. They said as long as they were prepared to pay GST and had cash in hand to do that, it was only a few minutes to get through. The one trip they had a van, it took hours longer!
A question --- Since these are imported from China before the US, would they go through customs quicker, with the Chinese custom's paperwork? Again, from experience - years ago. Hong Kong to BC was very open, then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)