Openbox S10 motor issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
I've had an Openbox S10 since April 2011 and had been reasonably satisfied with it, other than some of the issues that have been hashed over many times on this forum. Last week, when I tried to change satellites, my SG2100 wouldn't budge (Usals and yes my latitude & longitude settings were still there). I have the 2 button motor, but couldn't get it to move even manually at the motor. My first thoughts were, "the motor cratered" and since I've sold all of my old receivers, I couldn't swap out to a different receiver for a good test. I took a battery charger up on the roof hooked up to a short piece of coax and could move the motor back to 0 and do a reset. At first the s10 appeared to be moving the motor ok, but after going to a couple of sats it just quit moving. I changed to Diseqc with the same results. I took the cover off the S10 and checked Pixl's thermistor fix. The number matched, but the thermistor was cool to the touch even when trying to move the motor & with the receiver on for long periods of time. I'm not interested in getting into the "under rated IC regulator" fix I found on a European site and I'm not going to spend money on a new power supply, that might have the same issues later. Also, never had the rebooting issues that others are having, but I have tried different firmware, with the same results. So, for now, I've removed the motor and have a fixed dish on G19, with no receiver issues. Sold my cband dish too early. Not looking for answers, just venting. I'll be watching the feedback of the MIcroHD and will consider making a change at some point and eventually point the fortec on the roof to 30w and put the sg2100 on a dish on the ground. Funny, G19 was my first find on my Coolsat 5000, when I started this hobby and here I am back on it.

Yeah if you can move it with your battery charger something as died in the S10 Power Supply. Yeah I agree at this point get a more updated receiver. So far I am loving my microHD.

the varistor also makes a handy check point for voltages, from one side of it to gnd if you have a voltmeter.
I would try aiming the dish manually then see if the receiver still tunes in channels.

xtgold, Is the varistor on the power supply and what voltage reading should I see? The receiver tunes channels in fine. I have it fixed on 97w for now. Thanks.

the voltage will vary depending on if the receiver is tuned to a v transponder or h transponder
13v or 18v plus or minus 5%

Ok, it's a little crude, but I brought the motor into the house and hooked it up to the s10 receiver with a short coax. I setup 58w and 91w as usals and hooked my voltmeter to the lnb out on the motor. Both satellites were on a horizonal transponder and I got a reading 19.45 volts +or- 1/2 volt while the motor moved between sats. After 3 cycles, the motor quit moving, and a red error light on the motor, but the voltage stayed constant. I attempted to move between satellites numerous times, but it wouldn't budget and the voltage held up. My amp scale doesn't work, so I couldn't measure it, so my question would be, does it sound like the motor might be failing, instead of trouble with the S10. I don't have access to another receiver or motor to prove one or the other. The s10 has been on since last night. I disconnected the motor from the receiver and am going to let it sit for a while, then hook it up again and see if it will move. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• SG2100 Test.JPG
    SG2100 Test.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 133
Can you check if 22k is on. I had a prob like thats last week. Posted the issue. And found out the 22k was on. One I changed it everything worked again

Yes, I have 22k on in antenna setup. I use a universal lnb so it needs to be on. For testing in the house, I switched it off, but didn't make any difference. Thanks

Last edited:
I think you're right! All along I thought it might be the S10, but I never had the reboot problems like most folks had. Tonight, kind of convinced me that it's probably the motor. I'm going to stay on a fixed dish for now. Thanks to everyone for you input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)