openbox s9 firmware june 21 2011

Status
Please reply by conversation.
On my Solomend, that version works for me IF and only if I set my LNB settings for each satellite to Universal (9750-10600). This is OK since my LNB is in fact universal, except that I like to save time on American satellites by setting it to 10600 with 22kHz on. This doesn't work with the new firmware, even if (and this is the part that really makes no sense at all) I set it to Universal, save it, then go back to 10600 with 22k on. I would think that toggling it like this would make it work since I have to toggle the selection status of the satellites in my list, but no such luck. And the other part that makes no sense is, I have to set it that way even if I use the satellite list that came with the firmware rather than reloading my own! Huh? Really inexplicable behavior there! If I don't set it such, it uses some LNB frequency completely other than any LNB I've ever owned (I think I calculated it to be about 840 MHz off!), with the result that not only are the scanned frequencies off, but in fact it doesn't even scan half the range.

I should add that I'm STILL puzzled as to where the REAL firmware is supposed to be coming from, because the guy from the Fridge keeps saying that the REAL latest firmware for the S9 is supposed to make it look just like an S10, but every version I've ever tried that does that has EVERY menu greyed out except "Upgrade From USB", so it's obviously not just a matter of toggling the satellite status there, because you can't even get to the satellite menu.

I'm NOT the only person who has reported this problem either. The thing I don't know is, are the others running Solomends or Openboxes? I wouldn't have thought there should be any difference, since the Solomend passes the clone test.

Jim, what version of firmware are you currently running on your Solomend? I have a Solomend too, and I'm using the version that came out right before the one that had the green tint problem with the composite output. Thanks.

I should add that I'm STILL puzzled as to where the REAL firmware is supposed to be coming from, because the guy from the Fridge keeps saying that the REAL latest firmware for the S9 is supposed to make it look just like an S10, but every version I've ever tried that does that has EVERY menu greyed out except "Upgrade From USB", so it's obviously not just a matter of toggling the satellite status there, because you can't even get to the satellite menu.

I'm NOT the only person who has reported this problem either. The thing I don't know is, are the others running Solomends or Openboxes? I wouldn't have thought there should be any difference, since the Solomend passes the clone test.

For everyday use, I'm running the one that came out right before the green tint problem was FIXED. The newer ones, ever since the fix, have a slower blind scan that finds very-low-symbol-rate signals reliably (as long as your signal is good) but tends to be terribly slow on some satellites with weak transponders or noisy neighbors.

You're probably fine sticking with the version you have. There hasn't been anything major fixed since then as far as I can remember, plus you won't be able to keep the fast blind scan unless you want to gain the green tint problem. There's also a problem that comes and goes every few versions whereby it'll reboot at random when in the DVR menu -- I can't remember if that was in the pre-green-tint version or not, it's been so long ago.

The Manhattan RS-1933 should be shipping next week. It will be very interesting to see how well this new box works with it's initial software. Considering the development work that went into it for North America, I'm betting it will be superior to the Openbox S9, out of the chute . I hope so. The Openbox is a bargain, but it sure would be nice if all it's features worked . :)

brentb636 said:
The Manhattan RS-1933 should be shipping next week.
Unfortunately it is inexpensive hardware with an expensive price tag. $125 - $150, maybe...... $200...... not realistic. I would wait a month or so until the price is more in line with the market for similar hardware.

Now if it received FreeDBS next werk, then it would be worth every penny! LOL!

The Manhattan RS-1933 should be shipping next week. It will be very interesting to see how well this new box works with it's initial software. Considering the development work that went into it for North America, I'm betting it will be superior to the Openbox S9, out of the chute . I hope so. The Openbox is a bargain, but it sure would be nice if all it's features worked . :)

Even the beta box firmware had it's advantages over the openbox.

To name a few.

The scanning was/is as fast if not faster and accurate.
The clock works for recording.
Better picture Q
No V format button to annoy you..lol

Contrary to what others may say it has superior hardware. I see some people posting saying it's some knock off of an openbox...Just not the case at all.
If people don't have one how can they even compare or say what hardware is in one?

I don't see a menu in my openbox to add PID's with the remote.. lol

Bottom line is these are nice people that have actually developed a box for us in NA ,and they do listen to what features can be added where possible.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but what box is? at least with the Manhattan we don't have to go running around the internet at different Chinese sites trying to find a file and wondering if you should load it.

All boxes or anything else for that matter come down in price from when they first come out..that's just a given.

But if you want a little extra..it usually costs a little extra.

Unfortunately it is inexpensive hardware with an expensive price tag. $125 - $150, maybe...... $200...... not realistic. I would wait a month or so until the price is more in line with the market for similar hardware.

Now if it received FreeDBS next werk, then it would be worth every penny! LOL!
We would not pay much for any fta receiver if hardware was all we had to pay for.
I think paying $150.00 Plus Shipping for a MPEG-2 receiver is unrealistic but that is how much you want for your GEOSATPRO DVR1100C. A more realistic price for a MPEG-2 receiver should be way below a hundred dollars.

While we are on the sublect of Manhattan:

The SoC is the same as the Openbox S9, the Ali M3602.

The Manhattan 1933 has been developed and is manufactured by JIUZHOU Electric Group Co., Ltd., China.
I contacted Manhattan and asked them if this information was correct. A person named Jeff told me no. So either you or the person named Jeff from Manhattan is wrong about this. GregH

Got an Openbox S9 coming from another member here so this topic has been of interest to me. Looks like I need to put that other dish up.

I agree that the DVR1100c would have little value to you. This is why I always suggest that anyone interested in the hobby aspect of FTA consider a SD/HD MPEG2/4 STB instead of our product. A SatelliteGuy member stopped by our office on Thursday, ready to buy everything from us and I sent him out the door with only a single GEOSATpro C2 LNBF. Yes, I actually talk people out of buying our equipment if it wont fit their needs! :)

We have a great retail and wholesale market on the GEOSATpro DVR1100c because it is unique and provides a service that no other set top box provides in North America. The hobbyist, like yourself is not our target customer. You don't need automatic firmware and channel list updating. Many people out there would not be using FTA receivers if they had to navigate menus and manage their own channel list. They are simply challenged by batteries in the remote! I do realize that we serve a niche customer with the DVR1100c.

greg harris said:
I contacted Manhattan and asked them if this information was correct.

I have always told SatelliteGuys members the truth and always will. If you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger. :)

What isn't correct?

The Manhattan website lists the receiver as based on the Ali 3602. Yes, time has passed since that information was posted on the Manhattan web site and I would assume that the developer would have moved the project to the newer 3606 (S10 type chipset). I was surprised at the time to learn that Manhattan was developing on an SoC that was being transitioned to a newer version. The 3606 is basically the same chipset as the 3602, but with added support for new European market decryption methods (CI+, HD+).

I have worked projects with Jiuzhou (one of the largest electronic manufacturers in China) for many years and I see no reason to not believe when they indicate that the Manhattan is in production with their development team and on their line. The manufacturer has a US based sales force marketing under the name Jena USA. Jena USA is Juizhou. Maybe referencing the parent company caused the confusion?

No matter..... Nothing to prove to you or anyone else..... The import documents will be the proof.

Hey SatAv

Will like to suggest to commence a new product development within your company using the 3606 Ali chip integrated into your boxes. I guess this is what Manhattan did taking as a reference point the Openbox. I see everywhere the Sat companies and the market heading that way (MPEG-4/HD DVB-S2. 4:2:2). Most people reply that the Manhattan is not an updated version of an Openbox but I disagree. Once the Manhattan hit the market and the Openbox developers begin to see that customers are heading that way they will not hesitate to do the necesary changes/ updates to keep their customers. USA is a very large FTA market!!!!;)

Funny that you would mention it...... GEOSATpro will be releasing a very interesting MPEG 2/4 STB in a few months based on an Ali chipset. Preproduction run units are currently in FCC and UL certification process. :)

The design is unique for North America, will be supported with automatic or manual firmware updates via satellite (OTA-SSU) and have the great hobbyist functions and features as models that we have previously developed.

We will provide release date and additional information as soon as the product is on the water.

Look for an Android based hybrid STB in the near future as well.....

I'm curious as to what, other than automatic firmware update, is going to separate your new receivers from the forthcoming AZbox receivers. Unless it's something radical, my choice of next receiver will probably be based on price...

Funny that you would mention it...... GEOSATpro will be releasing a very interesting MPEG 2/4 STB in a few months based on an Ali chipset. Preproduction run units are currently in FCC and UL certification process. :)

The design is unique for North America, will be supported with automatic or manual firmware updates via satellite (OTA-SSU) and have the great hobbyist functions and features as models that we have previously developed.

We will provide release date and additional information as soon as the product is on the water.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::amen::up

Jim S. said:
Unless it's something radical, my choice of next receiver will probably be based on price...

I suppose the $$$$ will be the hook for you .... Maybe the design might influence you as well.

In speaking with Hugo, the new AzBox will be an incredible STB and certainly worth waiting. Though I understand that the release may be pushed to September.

GEOSATpro has opted not to produce a 4:2:2 STB at this time due to the high production cost and estimated sales potential. We will soon stock a commercial rack mount 4:2:2. This model should be posted on our site in a few weeks. We will rely on partnerships with other developers to provide a STB 4:2:2 solution.

You will soon be seeing many Premium+ clones in the North / South American market, but their retail price will still be at or above $200 and the knock-off factories remain reliant on AzBox for code or running Enigma.

I'll look forward to seeing this box. We need it. I'd love to have one, and expect to get one . :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts