Openbox S9 has no HDMI output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotTy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Wa
I turned on my Openbox S9 tonight and the TV screen said "No Signal". I checked all the connections, turned it off and back on, and even unplugged it for a couple minutes. I finally ran an RCA cable from the composite out and was able to get a picture and sound. (whew, green tinge).
So I switched cables with Roku and still no picture but the Roku still worked. Also switched inputs on the TV.
It appears the HDMI doesn't work anymore.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Update the firmware so the green tint goes away.(?)
Sorry, but that's about all I got.
Have read in quite a few other forums about dead HDMI. Can't remember reading that it ever was 'fixed. (maybe I'm wrong)
Wouldn't it be nice, being there's no 'manufacturer support', if they'd release the schematics to us hobbyists so we could repair and/or 'experiment'?
Oh, I forgot, everything is disposable.

possibly a bad solder connection on the connector to mainboard.
The demo board schematic shows the connector pins.

Attachments

• hdmi.JPG
    hdmi.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:
I did check all the settings SatelliteAV. I thought maybe that infamous Format button was accidentally pushed but the super glue was still holding it.
I also haven't kept up on the issues with the Openbox but it sounds like this might be an issue.
I'm not highly skilled in electronics but given the circumstances, I don't have much to loose by trying to fix it. Tomorrow, I,ll take it apart and check those pins and connections.
Maybe it's time to upgrade to a MicroHD if all else fails.
Thanks everybody.

Well, I took the cover off and looked at some connections and all looks good. Put it all back together and hoped it would work but still doesn't.
So my next question is should I replace the S9 with an AZ Box or the MicroHD?

Well from my experience, if you want a box that did everything the S9 and a little more and no bugs. It is an easy answer microHD. Mine has been running continuously and flawlessly since last summer. Yeah I got to admit it takes a little fun if that is what you want to call it, out of it, but it just works. Also anytime I did have a question or concern about it, Brian was usually minutes away from answering a PM. It is a no brainer. Only reason I could see wanting an AZ-box is if you want 4:2:2. With it slowly fading away though, I say go with the microHD.

You will be more than happy I guarantee it, if not though, Brian has a very good return policy....haha....but no for real you will love it. Much more advanced and faster than the S9.

I've been reading some good reviews about the MicroHD. There are a couple things I wouldn't mind watching with 4:2:2 capability but it seems that the MicroHD has a real good scan feature.
I think I'll do some more research and compare the S9 to the MicroHD since the MicroHD is probably the way I'm going to go.
I also might read up a little more on the Manhattan.
Thanks for the advice.

The Manhattan uses the same chip-set as the S9.

Well tonight, I turned the OpenBox on and it was frozen in the "boot" mode for about 20 minutes. When it finally finished booting, I noticed the HDMI input was working again. Must have beem a glitch. So now I'm scared to turn it off ever again.
I checked out that link you sent me and might hold off until that new receiver comes out, as long as the OpenBox keeps working.
As far as the Manhattan, I think I'll skip that one and hold out for the MicroHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)