Openbox s9 Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Didn't see any reviews on this particular receiver? So could those of you that have one please give me some reasons too or not too buy one?

Well actually I looked in this section (Forum: FTA/MPEG2 Equipment Reviews) and the only thing I saw was a review on a new remote for that receiver? I'll check out the links you posted, and thanks. I copied the links so just delete this thread.

I guess one of the reasons there hasnt been a "review" until recently was because the receiver has been a work in progress. I had one of the original original batches when they became available in February under the Sathawk name and they were a MAJOR work in progress with a fair amount of bugs (couldnt do motor and switch at same time, no AC-3, are 2 big issues...the remote sucked was another) so we had a big thread on it in the main area. They have since fixed those issues and it seems to be a more stable box than what it was in February.

As you already know I was in the market for an Ultra but looks like the guy in Miami is no longer selling them so I'm evaluating my options on other brands. I was wanting the Ultra so that I could blind scan with it and transfer the channel data to my Elite but like I said, looks like that one is a no go.

The Pansat TC1000 with the S2 Premium Kit looks good but the price is more than I want to pay for a box that won't do 4.2.2.

Just saw this Openbox s9 tonight and was looking for info on it and found them to be priced right, which is a major issue with me. Really don't understand why these people don't include 4.2.2 capability in these things though as that's about the only thing the AZBox has going for it?

Ennywho, I'll wait a week or so to see if something shows up on the Ultra before I spend any money on anything else. But hey, I could have two Openbox s9s for less money than an a single Ultra! ;-)

If 4:2:2 Is a must then look at another receiver besides the Openbox.

Be careful where you buy the Openbox if you want a warranty. Most sellers give little if any warranty for these receivers. One seller claims to have a 1 year written warranty but when you read it, you find it is only for 6 months, plus he exempts himself from honoring the warranty if he does not want to. This sentence makes his warranty useless: "Determination of failure cause and warranty eligibility is completely at our sole determination."

I have seen other sellers claim to have a 30 day exchange plus a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Unfortunately, they cannot tell you how the 2 year manufacturer's warranty works. GregH

Greg 4.2.2 isn't a must as I already have an Elite that can do that.

Looking around I found a "Skybox s9", which I'm going to assume is a clone of the Openbox s9 and is priced lower too??? Wonder if it uses the same firmware?

Warranty? I guess that's a crap shoot with most any of these boxes made overseas. That's just another reason that cheaper might be better as there's less money lost if the warranty isn't honored. Hopefully it wouldn't be needed.

Dunno, will continue looking around for a while before I spend any money. After all, I really don't "have" to have one! ;-)

If you don't require 4:2:2 I think the Openbox is the way to go. When I got mine I installed it as a looped slave to my trusty Coolsat 6000, used the CS6K to position the dish for the Openbox as I scanned the arc. After I familiarized myself with the Openbox I enabled USALS and it is now my master (and only) receiver for my mancave Ku-only system, no issues with motor control whatsoever.

As far as the warranty is concerned I purchased a Square Trade extended warranty (3 years) for $13.99. It (warranty) may not be worth the electrons it is composed of but my research indicated it may be a pretty good deal. Purchased my Openbox from "zaptoyz" on eBay, about $150 shipped (includes 6' HDMI cable, thumbdrive and US power cord), no complaints so far.

I already have an AzBox Elite, so I'm thinking I'll be covered :rolleyes: until Brian unveils the upcoming GeoSat ULTIMATE-FTA-RECEIVER!!! :D :up

Hummm, would you care to elaborate on this comment?? Something new and better coming out then??

Unless I misunderstood I believe Brian has mentioned that he has a new receiver in the development stage right now, no ETA that I have heard but if SatAv is involved I would expect a first-class effort. Maybe he will comment if there is any new developments.

Greg 4.2.2 isn't a must as I already have an Elite that can do that.

Looking around I found a "Skybox s9", which I'm going to assume is a clone of the Openbox s9 and is priced lower too??? Wonder if it uses the same firmware?

Warranty? I guess that's a crap shoot with most any of these boxes made overseas. That's just another reason that cheaper might be better as there's less money lost if the warranty isn't honored. Hopefully it wouldn't be needed.

Dunno, will continue looking around for a while before I spend any money. After all, I really don't "have" to have one! ;-)
The Skybox is supposed to be the same thing as the Openbox. It is probably not a clone, just the same receiver with a different name and it is supposed to take the same file.
I see the Skybox advertised for $115.00 shipped but you have to send the money to China via Western Union. Get one of these and let us know how it works out for you. GregH

I changed the software to HDS2_CM_america.abs (hypermegasat) to get the satellite list for America. It originally had the East only sat's. I also tried loading the solomend file from Sadoun once but did'nt like it as it only had 63W to 139W and dropped BLIND SCANN from the menu choices and added Smart scan which didn't work. Anyway, after loading the CM_america file I still had to add or edit one sat to get 61.5W on the list as I have had a small dish locked there since they have been testing on one KU Transponder ITC for the last 2 months.

Since this is the C-Band thread, I will also say I only have one converted KU band 1.2Meter to C-Band dish so my C band is limited. Locked at 91W for the CW, FX east and west and FMC. The receiver scanned the sat so fast I looked away and didn't realize it was done... However, still couldn't get the CW channels. I know there is another thread here offering a file (channel list?) with the CW channels (all 3), but haven't loaded it.

I only used the HDMI cable that came with the receiver and it works fine. I did test the sadoun file with a composite cable settup and got the green screen. I didn't bother with my latest file.

I will add more comments as I have time to use it, but it is really cumbersome to go through the edit channel names and edit satellite names, so as mentioned by others use the computer.

T4, It won't scan in the CW. There's a channel editor program available. Hopefully someone will send you the link to it. You can load the editor via usb in your computer and add/edit as needed...the Apid/Vpid etc, then upload to the receiver, and it will work. Blind

Openbox looks like a good receiver for the price and once I put up my 3rd big dish I may go ahead and buy one but for now, the guy in Miami has the AZ Ultra on fleabay again so I'll probably just buy one of those to go with the Elite I already have since I can transfer the sat/channel data from the Ultra to the Elite and have the same setup on both. Who knows, by the time I get that 3rd dish up, there just might be another receiver on the market thats even better. ;-)

Thanks for the info guys!

T4, It won't scan in the CW. There's a channel editor program available. Hopefully someone will send you the link to it. You can load the editor via usb in your computer and add/edit as needed...the Apid/Vpid etc, then upload to the receiver, and it will work. Blind

Thanks Blind. But I went ahead and downloaded that file also from somewhere prevously? I just haven't done anything with it yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts