OpenBox S9 started acting up the other day..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
When I went to bed that night, it was parked on a C Band ch on 105W that wasn't getting enough signal to display any video, plus it took at least 5 minutes to lock to begin with. In the past this particular signal has always been marginal, but usually played just fine, though sometimes it might tile on occasion. So when I wake up the next morning, and that I turn the tv on, this channel is playing fine again. I then turned the tv off since there wasn't anything playing on that channel I wanted to watch at the time. A cpl of hours later I noticed that the S9 was continually rebooting itself. So I then shut it down using the power switch on back, then I disconnected the diseq cable going into it. I turned it back on, and it was still rebooting itself. I then searched Google and found out that some channels cause the S9 to do this, and to get it off that channel. It took a bit, but I finally accomplished that and the S9 was no longer rebooting itself. I eventually moved to another sat altogether. I then reconnected the diseq cable to the back of the S9, and then turned on the receiver. It was rebooting again. So I shut it off of course. At the time I happened to touch the diseq switch. It was very hot to the touch, very hot actually. Are these things supposed to be hot like that?

So I then took the diseq out of the loop, changed setting from port 2 on C band to no port, and couldn't get a signal. Apparently the lnbf is fried, which did turn out to be the case. So I then took the C Band RG6 out and put the KU RG6 directly into the S9 instead. The offset dish was parked on 97W at the time, but no channels would tune in. So I did a blindscan and and it did find some signals, but only 2. So I went out to that dish thinking the tracking may have gotten off somehow, and while I was out there, I was checking the skew to the lnbf, and it was very hot to the touch as well. the lnbf that is. And this would have been at night after the temperature outside has dropped to like 60 or so. Should that lnbf be hot to the touch like that?

Right now I have the S9 completely unplugged until I figure out if all these other things are normal, a very hot to the touch diseq switch and lnbf, and what to do it about it, if anything.

Yep that is what I am thinking. Time for a new receiver. :)

To have the diseqc switch and the LNBs turning hot when you turn everything On can be cause by a short somewhere. Bring the box outside and connect it directly to the LNB using a new small coax cable and see. Look inside the coax cables connectors for rust or a ground thin wire making contact. Power supply dead on the S9 will usually show a No Signal sign in the screen or will not boot at all. If this is the case you can find a new one on fleabay for around $15.

Note:
There isnt a direct S9 power supply board anywhere but you can find for the S10 models. It fit perfectly on all the connector thus is a little small. I have couple of my S9 running with the S10 PS board and working fine.

Here are 2 good readings about this

?

Attachments

• Capacitors-Re Booting on S9.doc
    28 KB · Views: 241
  • How to fix S9- S10 No Signal.doc
    4.1 MB · Views: 205
in the good old days diseqc switches used to ship with plastic caps for the unused ports.Water can get into the switch via any unused ports not capped.
I would measure the power supply voltages,the 18v output could be way too high.

in the good old days diseqc switches used to ship with plastic caps for the unused ports.Water can get into the switch via any unused ports not capped.
I would measure the power supply voltages,the 18v output could be way too high.

As far as my diseq switch, it is inside, not outside. The only way it could get wet is, if my dog took a hike on it. But since he's been housebroken for ages now, plus knows better, I sort of doubt that would ever happen. :)

After reading the replies thusfar, I have then decided it's time for a new receiver. At least I got my moneys worth out of it. I had it for quite awhile now, trouble free the entire time. I think I will get another OpenBox then, preferably one of the later versions such as the X5 and X6. Anything I should know about either one of these first, as far as the bad goes?

As far as my diseq switch, it is inside, not outside. The only way it could get wet is, if my dog took a hike on it. But since he's been housebroken for ages now, plus knows better, I sort of doubt that would ever happen. :)

:)

After reading the replies thusfar, I have then decided it's time for a new receiver. At least I got my moneys worth out of it. I had it for quite awhile now, trouble free the entire time. I think I will get another OpenBox then, preferably one of the later versions such as the X5 and X6. Anything I should know about either one of these first, as far as the bad goes?

Before you go to the Openbox do a research and get different opinions. There are newer models boxes out there which are similar or better within the same price range. So many clones out there for Openbox or Skybox, you never know.

p.d.
Let me know if you want to get rid of the broken S9 , I will be happy to paypal some money to you to cover freight expenses. I have several spares parts for openboxes.

Before you go to the Openbox do a research and get different opinions. There are newer models boxes out there which are similar or better within the same price range. So many clones out there for Openbox or Skybox, you never know.

p.d.
Let me know if you want to get rid of the broken S9 , I will be happy to paypal some money to you to cover freight expenses. I have several spares parts for openboxes.

Im with Carlos on this one. Look for another receiver. If you are comfortable with the OpenBox S9 software, then stick with it. I have a SkyBox F3 which is smaller physically, but very similar software. It sells for around $65 lately. My openbox S9 is still running fine and I rarely turn it off.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts