Openbox S9 vs Manhattan RS-1933

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have never seen a single tuner receiver that is capable of doing that, most simply record one show while playing another one , but both have to be on the same mux.

the Manhattan does...and its a single tuner unit. You can record two shows and watch a 3rd on the same transponder

Apparently, the Manhattan records the entire transport stream, not just the program being tuned by the receiver. The Openbox will not do this.

This feature is useful, but it can eat up hard drive space if the other programs in the stream are not desired. I wonder if they have a feature to exclude unwanted streams? If not, there is software out there that will "cherry pick" the stream you want to keep.

All receivers seem to vary in what they record from the stream. The Visionsat IV200 will only record the audio stream that is selected while viewing. For example, NASA-TV has both an AC-3 and a MPEG audio stream. The Visionsats will only record one of these streams, whichever is selected while viewing the program. The Openbox automatically records both.

Apparently, the Manhattan records the entire transport stream, not just the program being tuned by the receiver.

I don't think that the above statement is correct. When I record 2 different streams on the Manhattan, for the same amount of time, they come up with different file sizes depending on the amount of motion in the video and the type of programming on each of the streams. The Manhattan records just the stream being viewed or recorded. As Iceberg mentioned, it allows 2 streams on one transponder to be recorded while watching a 3rd. That's handy for the networks on 99W C-Band.

Apparently, the Manhattan records the entire transport stream, not just the program being tuned by the receiver. The Openbox will not do this..

no. You have the OPTION to record one, two or no streams of it. Using NASA as example I can record the HD feed, record the second channel while watching the 3rd channel in the mux. Or I can just record the HD feed while watching one of the other feeds. It only records what YOU want it to record :)

no. You have the OPTION to record one, two or no streams of it. Using NASA as example I can record the HD feed, record the second channel while watching the 3rd channel in the mux. Or I can just record the HD feed while watching one of the other feeds. It only records what YOU want it to record :)

That is a VERY useful feature, especially since you are given the choice of which programs to record...

Just scanned in 12124 H 999 , 105W Ku on a Manhattan Blindscan. It's an Echostar slate, looking compressed. My Solomend 800 ( Sep 1, 2011 software) sees it at 70% Q but can't lock it. Anyone have any luck with their Openbox? Is so, what software version are you using ? :)

Just scanned in 12124 H 999 , 105W Ku on a Manhattan Blindscan. It's an Echostar slate, looking compressed. My Solomend 800 ( Sep 1, 2011 software) sees it at 70% Q but can't lock it. Anyone have any luck with their Openbox? Is so, what software version are you using ? :)

Interesting find.
On my OpenBox with Sept. 2010 FW, did a blindscan of 105 Ku, found Vancouver Aquarium and a Cubs baseball game, but not the low SR. So I keyed in the TP, 1000 is the lowest it will let me do which is close enough, but no lock.
I'll try on my Manhattan later, I don't have the Western half of the arc located yet on my new 1.2m dish.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple Openbox software versions, and haven't yet found one to bring it in. I'm using the Sep 1 Manhattan software beta , it will be interesting to see if your early software locks the tp.
:)

Interesting find.
On my OpenBox with Sept. 2010 FW, did a blindscan of 105 Ku, found Vancouver Aquarium and a Cubs baseball game, but not the low SR. So I keyed in the TP, 1000 is the lowest it will let me do which is close enough, but no lock.
I'll try on my Manhattan later, I don't have the Western half of the arc located yet on my new 1.2m dish.

Same results on my Manhattan. I'm on the original civilian issue FW.
I'm getting 7 other TP's but only at 65%. What are yours looking like?

My openbox does not scan in anything with a low SR. Every low SR channel I have needed to be manually entered. IE: FSTV, and all of the Mexican networks on 99w C with low SR's.

can someone verify this for me either way on a Openbox

Manhattan can record two programs on the same transponder while watching another

I dont remember the Openbox doing that (recording 2 streams on the same transponder)

Update: Openbox allows you to record up to 2 programs on the same transponder while watching a 3rd. Not sure who knows about this but I just did it a couple minutes ago. Used 1 tb Hitachi drive.

There are improved versions of Openbox firmware that allows two channel record providing both channels are on the same transponder. Other improvements have been made to the Openbox channel editor including the ability to delete all of the channels on a selected satellite.
You can buy a new Openbox receiver now for under 50 dollars. I think the Manhattan costs quite a bit more than that. GregH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)