OPENBOX Sathawk PVR & dsr922 wiring & setup questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
Hi and I hape ya'll are having a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Got an OPENBOX (Sathawk) PVR/Sat Recvr. Confused on how to wire it all up to use BOTH my DSR922 to watch W5 SRL CONCAST/HITS Programming & FTA. (1st I have only a C-band LNB, no KU)
I used this wiring diagram anyway to slave the 2 units for now (w/ a plan to add KU in the spring):
Connecting BUD C KU Band dish to one DVB receiver

Next step is to connect to TV/hOme theatre sys.
Is the Sathawk hooked to TV? or are Both units connected to TV?
How is switching between the units accomplished (like to move dish and view W5
programming? all handled thru the sathawk onscreen interface?)
Sorry for such newbie questions, but my google searches turned up nothing on this matter.
Thanks.

Hi and I hape ya'll are having a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Got an OPENBOX (Sathawk) PVR/Sat Recvr. Confused on how to wire it all up to use BOTH my DSR922 to watch W5 SRL CONCAST/HITS Programming & FTA. (1st I have only a C-band LNB, no KU)
I used this wiring diagram anyway to slave the 2 units for now (w/ a plan to add KU in the spring):
since right now you dont have KU all you need to do is split the wire for C-Band...one goes to the 4DTV and one to the Sathawk

Next step is to connect to TV/hOme theatre sys.
Is the Sathawk hooked to TV? or are Both units connected to TV?
both need to be hooked up to the TV

How is switching between the units accomplished (like to move dish and view W5
programming? all handled thru the sathawk onscreen interface?)
Sorry for such newbie questions, but my google searches turned up nothing on this matter.
Thanks.
The 4DTV moves the dish and selects polarity. The Sathawk is what you'd use for the FTA stuff. So you'll have to do 2 blind scans on the Sathawk/Opensat for each polarity.

Actually What kind of LNB do you have on the dish? Is it a LNB with the 3 wires for polarity and the 4DTV changes polarity or is it a LNBF that is voltage switched through the coax?

since right now you dont have KU all you need to do is split the wire for C-Band...one goes to the 4DTV and one to the Sathawk

both need to be hooked up to the TV

The 4DTV moves the dish and selects polarity. The Sathawk is what you'd use for the FTA stuff. So you'll have to do 2 blind scans on the Sathawk/Opensat for each polarity.
Actually What kind of LNB do you have on the dish? Is it a LNB with the 3 wires for polarity and the 4DTV changes polarity or is it a LNBF that is voltage switched through the coax?

Thanks Iceberg, First, I'm still not understanding How both receivers can be used at the same time if the DSR922 is hooked to Video 1 and the Sathawk is hooked to Video 2 of the theatre system. Will I be switching to Vid1 to move dish, then switch to Vid2 to see if it's on a SAT.
Is there any resources that I can use to educate myself? (I feel so lost about what I'm trying to do)

It is a Corotor with a LNB with the 3 wires for polarity.

dont feel bad. Sometimes its confusing even for me ;)

Since you have the old corotor the 4DTV controls where the dish is moved to and the polarity. Your video setup to the TV is right. You would tune to video1 and move the dish to say G16 (G4 99W) with the 4DTV..16V analog is up 24/7 (shepherds chapel). Then if you flip to video 2 and do a blind scan on the SSO* of just vertical you should log a few channels. You can check thelist at the top of the page. There are usually 2 muxes (groups of channels) up. One will log 4 Spanish channels and the other is 6 stations that will say "GDMX". You wont get video as they are 4:2:2 and the SSO* wont play 4:2:2

Then if you flip the 4DTV over to channel 17 (H) there might be color bars on the screen. If not no biggie. Now rescan the horizontal side with the SSO and you should get a fair amount of channels including some networks and World Harvest TV (Le Sea Broadcasting).

Unfortunately you'll have to do it this way for each sat that you want to scan DVB with the SSO.

*SSO-Sathawk/Solomend/Opensat...same box different names

Thanks. I think I have it. (I'm gonna have to tune in more sats to the dsr-922, only have G-1, T-6, W-5, W-3 & either GB or G3 (CCTV4 is on ch752))) - This has been a chore since I changed the actuator arm a few years ago, mainly because there isn't much on the Sats anymore to help determine what Sat I might be on & I can't find a good list of available channels to be on when trying to locate the birds. With the dsr922, what is available on g4 (aka - g16?) so that I can find it with the g4?
LASTLY
Would a Gbox V3000 dish mover eliminate the need to switch back and forth? ...meaning , the Gbox and Sathawk work together using the Sathawks' onscreen interface to Move dish and tune/find channels on Vid2? and the DSR922 working as it does on TV/SAT(Vid1)?
Or am I also going to need to upgrade to a LNBF to use the Gbox?

on G4 the only thing would be Shepherds Chapel on 16 vertical analog
Also you have GB programmed in...CCTV4 is on that station as is JCTV (religious music videos)

as for how to log new satellites. That is an issue when there isnt any DCII or analog channels for the 4DTV to lock. The only way I know of would be to set up the 4DTV like you're setting up a satellite (say W4 at 101W). Tune it as vertical. Flip over to the SSO (or have a second tv nearby so you can see both menus on the receivers ) and log a known channel from thelist (say Golden Eagles Broadcasting). Then move the dish slowly until the SSO shows maximum signal on GEB. Then save it on the 4DTV. You might have to do this on satellites that dont have a 4DTV channel or analog channel available. Another way is to count how many clicks the motor moves between 2 known satellites 2 degrees apart and do it that way for each other sat. Then check on the SSO if the signal shows good on a known channel.

The G-Box would replace using the 4DTV to move the dish and the Sathawk would move the dish then. You would need one of the newer LNBF's that dont need the 3 wire polarity...

as for how to log new satellites. That is an issue when there isnt any DCII or analog channels for the 4DTV to lock.
This is what I suspected.

(or have a second tv nearby so you can see both menus on the receivers )
Oh man, NOW this is an idea! hmmmm , I know we have a couple older TV's around here, but connecting to an older style TV may be difficult since the ones I have don't have HDMI or RCA jacks (But this is what I need to do and I'm very appreciative of the idea. Can't believe this never occured to me. lol)

The G-Box would replace using the 4DTV to move the dish and the Sathawk would move the dish then. You would need one of the newer LNBF's that dont need the 3 wire polarity...
See, I am "getting it". To add to the above.... The Gbox/Sathawk combo would also use (USUALS) to locate SATS based on the Lat/Long of our Location, right? (that sounds easier for sure, If I have it right.)

Hauled the old analog TV in off the porch (coaxial only, ugh) - had a Coaxial to 3plug RCA multiple-switch box so am able to hook the OPENBOX to the old TV and leave the DSR922 hooked up to the Plasma. NOW this is starting to sound and look like fun. Just gotta strip back the Ribbon cable coming in from the dish and split it to the receivers.
If I left the wiring like this with No KU hooked up, what's the downside, is the open connection gonna downgrade the Cband signals?
Iceberg, you say don't use the DiSEqC switch, but use the Hi-Freq splitter to just split the Cband to both?

Crap, Sadoun sent me a OPENBOX with a EUROPEAN power plug, WTF? BAM. (slams brakes hard on this project, atm) Can't really buy an adaptor or anything for this problem, can i? (I see no switch on back to change voltage)

ut oh, looks like I got shorted the ADAPTER and the HDMI cable (was looking those up last night, because I figured I needed one in my final setup.

See, I am "getting it". To add to the above.... The Gbox/Sathawk combo would also use (USUALS) to locate SATS based on the Lat/Long of our Location, right? (that sounds easier for sure, If I have it right.)

GBox only uses Diseqc 1.2 (not USALS) so you do have to set up each satellite but its easier since most sats have something on it for DVB. You just plug in a active transponder (TP) for a sat then move the dish to that sat and save it. The next satellite do the same thing.

Hauled the old analog TV in off the porch (coaxial only, ugh) - had a Coaxial to 3plug RCA multiple-switch box so am able to hook the OPENBOX to the old TV and leave the DSR922 hooked up to the Plasma. NOW this is starting to sound and look like fun. Just gotta strip back the Ribbon cable coming in from the dish and split it to the receivers.
If I left the wiring like this with No KU hooked up, what's the downside, is the open connection gonna downgrade the Cband signals?
Iceberg, you say don't use the DiSEqC switch, but use the Hi-Freq splitter to just split the Cband to both?

Since you font have KU set up no need to have the Diseqc switch set up. Just split the coax cable (with the splitter) and one side goes to the 4DTV and the other goes to the SSO

Still not sure if it is safe to plug the OpenBox in with the 50-watt Reverse Transformer my wife picked up at best buy (is the transformer the same as the Reverse Voltage CONVERTER from Radio Shack?).

You know, when I was a kid the Radio Shack Guys were the guys who knew, nowdays I hate calling them cause they don't really know much. (Todays call was a joke after I was put on hold/hung up on the first time cause the guy didn't know, 2nd call, a girl answered , and she did not know either)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts