Openbox X3 comes with Wider Asian Power Cord - Where Can I Get N/A Adapter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Well this is very dissappointing, just received my Openbox X3 HD PVR via DHL after just 6 days since ordering from China. But the problem is they shipped me a Power Cord that is way too wide for our North American 115 VAC Power Outlets. Does anyone know where I can get an AC Adapter to convert this likely 220 VAC Plug to fit in a 115 VAC wall plug? I believe this same type of Wide AC plug came with my AzBox and Ricks Satellite supplied an adapter for North America for it, but not sure if it will fit and apply for this Openbox X3 receiver? Any replies would be much appreciated.

They are available on Ebay or simply cut off the plug and install a replacement Edison typf (from most home supplies stores).

Not so funny thing - after the wildfires here, the insurance inspectors were claiming that if you were using non listed equipment, they did not have to pay for your losses - and this was a wild brush and forest fire that did the damages. (Of course most people that lost their buildings had NO insurance.) Never heard if that held up or not.

I wasn't trying to be funny.... Sorry! :eek:

We heard similar denials with the claims in the California fires over the past few years. Like it or not, this is the reality.

Rat Shack has a grounded universal one. I have used those on the azbox and the Openbox

Enercell Universal Grounded Adapter Plug - Foreign to U.S. : Adapter Plugs | RadioShack.com

Thanks for the comments Iceberg, SatAv & Guys - There are no Radio Shacks anymore in Canada just a similar outfit called "The Source" and found out today they do have an adapter for $10.99. Well the Manufacturer Yojia Tech Ltd has contacted me and said they sent the Asian AC Power Cord by mistake and promised to send me a American Power Cord. Unfortunately unlike the Openbox X3 Receiver which came by DHL in 6 days from purchase, this item is being sent via the slower mail from China. I may borrow the Adapter from AzBox unit which looks similar which Ricks Satellite provided for free with the AzBox.

Thanks for the comments Iceberg, SatAv & Guys - There are no Radio Shacks anymore in Canada just a similar outfit called "The Source" and found out today they do have an adapter for $10.99.

sorry. Forgot you were in Canada ;)

Thanks Iceberg & guys. Does anyone know if I simply cut off the 2 wider Asian Plugs and then Rewire a Smith & Stone 2 Prong Ungrounded Two Wire Plastic Cap that I found in my tools today - would that work for the Openbox X3? Or should I try to contact Yojia Technology Company? The X3 Power Specs in the Manual Says: Mains Voltage: 100-240 / 50 - 60 Hz.

Yes, back to my original post..... Cut off the incorrect plug and install a correct plug.

The power supplys are auto switching to adapt to any incoming voltage within those paramaters. The plug is only a connection between available voltage and your STB.

Go for it! Just make sure everything is unplugged before you start snipping! :eek:

Yes, back to my original post..... Cut off the incorrect plug and install a correct plug.

The power supplys are auto switching to adapt to any incoming voltage within those paramaters. The plug is only a connection between available voltage and your STB.

Go for it! Just make sure everything is unplugged before you start snipping! :eek:

Thanks Brian & Nolipa. Yes the Asian Power Cord sent was just a 2 conductor cord where the male end pushes or snaps into the back of the Openbox X3 Rx, my only concern was that I wondered if I ended up reversing the Phase & Neutral could I end up frying the Receiver - is this is a concern?

That 2-conductor cord isn't polarized is it? If it could be plugged in either way in the socket, then you don't have to worry.

If you don't want to install a new plug, do what I do with my S9: use a 220V adapter. I plug the S9 European plug into the adapter and the adapter into a standard AC outlet.

That 2-conductor cord isn't polarized is it? If it could be plugged in either way in the socket, then you don't have to worry.

If you don't want to install a new plug, do what I do with my S9: use a 220V adapter. I plug the S9 European plug into the adapter and the adapter into a standard AC outlet.

Thanks for the reply Cyberham. Just checked and the Asian Power Cord does plug in to the Openbox X3 Rx either way. I have visited a couple of Stores here and the likely best adapter costs $20.00 - its a 120 / 240 Adapter as well that I don't need (and is more than 1/3 the price of the Receiver). "The Source" has a cheaper straight Adapter for $10.99 that the wider Asian Plug just plugs into to adapt it to North American 120 VAC. A new USA AC Cord is coming via China Post from Yojia Tech but it likely will take 2 more weeks, and after being nailed with an Extra $13.99 shipping and handling charge from DHL for the X3 which came in just 6 Days, I'm a bit reluctant to spend even more cash on this untested new Rx.

Thanks Brian & Nolipa. Yes the Asian Power Cord sent was just a 2 conductor cord where the male end pushes or snaps into the back of the Openbox X3 Rx, my only concern was that I wondered if I ended up reversing the Phase & Neutral could I end up frying the Receiver - is this is a concern?
No,you have not be concerned about it.
That s only a 100% safety thing and not electrical.Changed Phase or neutral
does not frying your receiver/ac power supply.
Why safety?
Best example in that case, is a lamp,were you have to connect phase/load to bottom contact
of the socket.
If not ,touching the bulb socket(defect bulb changing)can cause electrical shocks.

Ok,if you don t want to wait for replacement cable
or make your own homemade, buy a new cable.

Search for "Cables to Go 6-Foot Non-Polarized Power",
at tigerdirect.ca website.

Costs 4,91 CA $ +shipping.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts