AZBOX OpenRSi/E2 firmware for the Ultra ... worth it or not??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tekjunkie02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
n.fla
Trying to find out if this is any good or not... appreciate any comments from anyone, thanks.

Will I gain any functionality, or lose any, by going to the OpenRSi/E2 software for my Ultra?
Any advice on which image to use? I assume the latest one, dated today;
I was reading posts about the Az ME, and decided to check the RSi site, I noticed they have these new images for the Ultra.
But I guess they do one every day, by the looks...

They say;
"In this tutorial, we expect that you already have a E2 firmware installed on your AZBox.
For AZBox users that use the official firmware: We are working on a way to be of service to you."

but then it says;

"

• Download the latest firmware for your AZBox HD, from our download page.
Installing the firmware

• Flip the powerswitch at the back of you AZBox HD receiver.
  • If your AZBox HD still has original firmware installed, let it boot ...."
______________________________________________________________________________________
Do I just follow that procedure? I think I have '5402' firmware in it now.

I don't want to 'brick' my Ultra, that's why I'm asking, to make sure.
Thanks,

From what I remember reading on that E2 firmware, it DOES NOT support blind scan! When I read that I didn't go any further. I do remember several ppl here experimenting with the early versions though so a search may bring you more info.

Not worth it as the E2 third party firmware is mostly aimed for European users. You will lose the ability to blindscan satellites properly here in North America and the user interface is cumbersome and not very intuitive. Furthermore, it is risky to install this firmware as it requires changing the kernel and since the AzBox Ultra does not have a recovery partition, use of a recovery cable and/or JTAG would be required if something goes wrong when installing the firmware.

Honestly, the firmware version you have right now is the best currently available for your receiver.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I needed! I will stay with what I've got, it works great. Reading about the Az ME started me thinking about this, I'm glad you all set me straight.

I did install OpenRSI 3 on my Ultra, and the install was not too difficult. I found that it had the same problem getting weak transponders on the Ultra that I had experienced on the Me, so I reverted back to the lastest 0.9502 Canadian firmware for the Ultra within a day or so. The reversion to original firmware was not particularly easy. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)