Operating the HR20-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Got my H20 (-100) installation today. I was hoping for the 700 but no luck. The installer said there was basically no difference?

Anyway, this is my first time with a DVR. With the Old (E86) HD receiver (and any other SD receiver) I could set up a schedule to view programs daily, Monday through Friday, or Sat. or Sunday and they would auto-tune.

I've been through the manual until I'm half blind but can't find this ability with this receiver.

Is it true that this thing won't auto switch channels at a certain time? I don't want to record, just switch to a show I want to watch at a certain time daily. Any help appreciated.

Also, this remote seems to "hang up" and sometimes even the exit button won't get me out of the guide, or in the various setup menus it won't move to a screen on the right to change something. Have to start over.

Ok, last question: I have the receiver set to RF mode (checked to be sure). I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF Remote controls. While I can adjust the volume with them, I can't get any of the other buttons to work. Anyone know if this can be set to work with the HR20?

Thanks.

Got my H20 (-100) installation today. I was hoping for the 700 but no luck. The installer said there was basically no difference?

Anyway, this is my first time with a DVR. With the Old (E86) HD receiver (and any other SD receiver) I could set up a schedule to view programs daily, Monday through Friday, or Sat. or Sunday and they would auto-tune.

I've been through the manual until I'm half blind but can't find this ability with this receiver.

Is it true that this thing won't auto switch channels at a certain time? I don't want to record, just switch to a show I want to watch at a certain time daily. Any help appreciated.

Also, this remote seems to "hang up" and sometimes even the exit button won't get me out of the guide, or in the various setup menus it won't move to a screen on the right to change something. Have to start over.

Ok, last question: I have the receiver set to RF mode (checked to be sure). I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF Remote controls. While I can adjust the volume with them, I can't get any of the other buttons to work. Anyone know if this can be set to work with the HR20?

Thanks.

Please don't interpret this question as some sort of snide remark because it's not intended that way, but it's worth asking anyway.

Have you read the manual yet?

The answers to most (if not all) your questions are in there.

Enjoy your new unit.

Please don't interpret this question as some sort of snide remark because it's not intended that way, but it's worth asking anyway.

Enjoy your new unit.

Don't take this the wrong way but did you read his post?

There is no way that I know of to auto-switch to watch a show.

Enjoy your new unit.

Not to be disrespectful backatcha, but did you actually read my post?

The short answer is there is no auto tune capability. The long answer is there is no auto tune capability, nor will there there ever be any on the HR20 (or ANY DVR.) Since the DVR will record anything for viewing whenever you want to, why in heaven's name would they put in a feature meant for only non DVR receivers?

At the risk of repeating myself, "did you read the manual in it's entirety'?

Yes or No, it's not a difficult question.

Kids..

Yes, I did. Using the index along with appendixes. I've never had a DTV receiver that didn't have a place to autotune channels.

I also saw this in the brochure; thus my questioning:

Autotune:

The autotune feature allows you to choose a program in the guide and have the tuner automatically tune to that channel at the appropriate time.

But, nothing in the manual and talking through the techs at DTV, a second level tech tells me that the receiver does not have that feature.

If you had a clue either way I would have really appreciated an answer to my question.

I also asked this:
<<Ok, last question: I have the receiver set to RF mode (checked to be sure). I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF Remote controls. While I can adjust the volume with them, I can't get any of the other buttons to work. Anyone know if this can be set to work with the HR20?<<

Again, nothing in the manual and I was hoping to rely on the experience of the long-time DTV'ers here.

Sorry to have tasked you.

Kids..

Yes, I did. Using the index along with appendixes. I've never had a DTV receiver that didn't have a place to autotune channels.

I also saw this in the brochure; thus my questioning:

Autotune:

The autotune feature allows you to choose a program in the guide and have the tuner automatically tune to that channel at the appropriate time.

But, nothing in the manual and talking through the techs at DTV, a second level tech tells me that the receiver does not have that feature.

If you had a clue either way I would have really appreciated an answer to my question.

I also asked this:
<<Ok, last question: I have the receiver set to RF mode (checked to be sure). I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF Remote controls. While I can adjust the volume with them, I can't get any of the other buttons to work. Anyone know if this can be set to work with the HR20?<<

Again, nothing in the manual and I was hoping to rely on the experience of the long-time DTV'ers here.

Sorry to have tasked you.

Dave,
Sorry about all the kids that happen to be posting above....

As Newshawk & Ramy did say, the DVR has NO autotune, mainly because it is a recorder.
You can set it up to record 2 different programs at a time, so No it doesn't have this feature, although I thought it shopuld when I first got mine too.

As for the RF remote, did you go thru the steps to set up the remote for your TV yet ?
After you do this , it will work your TV funtions, not all, but at least changing channels and volume and input too.

Jimbo

Dave,

As Newshawk & Ramy did say, the DVR has NO autotune, mainly because it is a recorder.
You can set it up to record 2 different programs at a time, so No it doesn't have this feature, although I thought it shopuld when I first got mine too.

As for the RF remote, did you go thru the steps to set up the remote for your TV yet ?
After you do this , it will work your TV funtions, not all, but at least changing channels and volume and input too.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo. Having been used to autotune turning the channels automatically for us on a certain day I guess we're spoiled. I can see how I can record what I want so I guess I'll have to learn to use that to my best advantage. In the interim, I made a listing M-F of times and channels.. :)

The question isn't about the remote that came with the HR20. I have that working fine with the tv & DVD.

What I'm wondering is because the HR20 is an RF receiver and I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF remotes situated throughout the house, can they be programmed to operate the HR20? I only have the one receiver attached to 5 tvs throughout the house.
Retired, 2 people here so we really don't need more receivers.

Appreciate the reply.

Thanks Jimbo. Having been used to autotune turning the channels automatically for us on a certain day I guess we're spoiled. I can see how I can record what I want so I guess I'll have to learn to use that to my best advantage. In the interim, I made a listing M-F of times and channels.. :)

The question isn't about the remote that came with the HR20. I have that working fine with the tv & DVD.

What I'm wondering is because the HR20 is an RF receiver and I have 4 older HRMC-6 RF remotes situated throughout the house, can they be programmed to operate the HR20? I only have the one receiver attached to 5 tvs throughout the house.
Retired, 2 people here so we really don't need more receivers.

Appreciate the reply.

As for your older remotes working the new receivers, I doubt that they will work the new boxes.
The newer remotes are really pretty nice once you get use to them, you can program them to run a lot of different set ups, I don't know if you can program them to run a different D* receiver though.

Sorry....

JImbo

One of the beauties of having a DVR is the ability to time shift. That definitely takes time to get used to when you first get a DVR, because you're used to watching certain things on certain days at certain times.

I've never used auto-tune in my life, so I didn't have that growing pain myself. But you won't have to use your DVR long to fall in love with being able to fast forward through commercials. To take advantage, you might start shifting your viewing habits by an entire day. You might just start a program 10 minutes late so you can FF through the commercials. Many times what I'll do if I'm watching live is pause when I get to the first commercial, go do something that I need to do to kill some time (go to the bathroom, put in a load of laundry, walk the dog - wait, I don't have a dog), then take advantage of the buffer to skip the commercials for the rest of the program.

One great feature is the ability to tape certain programs whenever they are on (I don't get my new DVR until Monday, so I'm used to the Tivo term of 'season pass'). This is nice because you are ensured to catch your program(s). If you're running errands and won't get home in time, no need to worry! If you're out doing yard work and lose track of time, you're covered. If you're playing with the kids, you don't have to pull yourself away. And if you do indeed watch it live, you just delete it when you're done. I think back to the days on Thursday nights that we were watching the time to make sure we got home in time to watch Friends - with a DVR and a 'season pass' set up, that is not a concern.

As you begin to use it, you'll come up with your own uses and strategies that work for you. It won't take you long to wonder how you ever lived without it.

Good luck and have fun!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)