Opinions/Advice re: Switching

We live in a rural area north of Tucson, and most of the TV station antennas are on the other side of 9,000 foot Mt. Lemmon, so our TV choices are Dish, DirecTV, or the local cable company, which has limited channels, and apparently the system crashes occasionally. So realistically, our TV choices are either Dish or DTV.

I "Skied the Lemmon" in 1986. :)

Reactions: HipKat
My parents got their DirecTV DVR replaced to fix what amounted to an interface problem with their new UI (missing recordings). They still had the problem after the new DVR, and then they figured out that changing how things were sorted on the Recordings screen fixed their problem. New DVR totally unnecessary. New CSRs totally necessary.
That reminds me of way back when my sister had Directv with one of their Directv Tivo's. Sometimes, when she would pause and then un-pause (or even occasionally in the middle of watching something) she would get a loud squealing noise from the speakers. Rewinding and replaying the section, the problem did not repeat. They had replaced her DVR a few times before she told me about the problem and I suggested that the problem might be her audio cables. After switching out the audio cables, the problem disappeared.

The acid test is which service has all the channels that you care about. I think DTV has the advantage but each person is different. The word I am hearing is that DTV has a very aggressive retention department and it will hand out generous discounts after the first year.

The acid test is which service has all the channels that you care about. I think DTV has the advantage but each person is different. The word I am hearing is that DTV has a very aggressive retention department and it will hand out generous discounts after the first year.

Not true. Their retention department will do nothing until a customer calls to disconnect. Then they will offer a generous discount for the first year and only.

When I called to cancel I got nothing. They just said ok sorry to see you go. That was it.

Yep, that's what I've been hearing too. They also don't do free movers or free service calls anymore and are clamping down across the board.

None of this is surprising considering the AT&T CEO said last week that they'll be winding down DirecTV and doing away with satellite delivery. They are doing a great job of destroying the once great DirecTV. :coco

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)