Opinions needed about upgrading equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

allster101

Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Hello all.
I need some opinions from you guys about my options.
Right now, I have 3 HD tvs in my home. One has a HR22-100 DVR, another has a H21-100, and the last has the H21-200. I currently have whole-home so I can see all of my recordings from all of my receivers, so I have SWM.
I was looking at the Genie, it sounded very good, my family usually records a lot, so the 5 tuners would be nice. I checked on DTV's website and it said I could get it for free, but it auto-added the Cinema Connection Kit (why do I need this?)
So here's what I'm wondering.
If I put the Genie in my living room, which is where the DVR is right now, can I put the DVR upstairs which is where one of the receivers is right now and give the receiver back to DTV (or even better, sell it)? Or will DTV make me give the DVR or the receiver back? Also, will the recordings be visible from the HR22 on the Genie if I put it upstairs? Keeping the recordings from the old DVR is not a priority but would be nice.
Finally, for the one receiver that's left, should I upgrade it to a H24 or H25? Or even both if I don't keep my HR22? Having whole-home is a MUST.
Or maybe I should just change everything to Genie Minis?
?Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys allster101!

I'm not sure about the CCK, but if you need it there should be no charge. You can do as you describing moving the boxes around. It's almost a certain that all of your boxes are leased, which means you have to return them to Directv. Your recordings should be viewable from all areas. AFAIK, there is no reason to replace the H21 unless you want the MUCH smaller H25. They can be hidden behind a wall mounted tv if you want.

Thanks for the welcome, Chip!
I think what I'll end up doing is getting a Genie, moving the DVR upstairs, and giving back an H21 unless it's leased. I'll have to ask them about the CCK because on the website it said it would cost $100.

Try calling DirecTV.. If you add the Genie as an additional receiver, they'll add an install (maybe for free.. if not it's $49).. Installers are required to connect Genies to the internet now as part of the install, so that would save money toward the cost of the CCK...
The reason they want you to have the CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) is twofold (The CCK connects the the receivers to the internet)
1. If your having system issues with the Genie, they need it to be able to do a "SendReportAll", which send a system report back to the engineering department via the internet.. (no, it's not an automatic process, you have to tell it to do it via a keyword command)
2. They want you to have "On Demand". On Demand is AWESOME (at least in my opinion).. It lets you download (or stream) movies and shows anytime you want from a multitude of channels.. My current addiction is "Have Gun, Will Travel".. Encore On Demand has almost every episode (I think they might be missing 8 episodes out of the whole series, so theres about 250 episodes in there..).
My opinion, even if you decide not to go with the Genie, if you have a wireless network in your house and internet, look into getting a Wireless cinema connection kit.. total cost if you order from directv is about $32 (thats including tax and whatnot). You self install it (it's pretty simple).. and your all set for the On Demand goodness.
Reading over this.. well.. sorry.. didn't mean to go so off-topic.. I just get kinda excited about the On Demand stuff (as if you couldn't tell).. LOL

I can tell.. haha. I already have on-demand as my HR22 is connected to the internet with whole-home, and yes it's very nice. I'm not sure if I still need it since I have whole-home... well, I can always call them. Do you know if there's any way they can send me a Genie and the CCK w/o an installer so I can install it myself? I wonder if they'd have to because I would have to return a receiver.. oh well, DTV reps to the rescue.

I can tell.. haha. I already have on-demand as my HR22 is connected to the internet with whole-home, and yes it's very nice. I'm not sure if I still need it since I have whole-home... well, I can always call them. Do you know if there's any way they can send me a Genie and the CCK w/o an installer so I can install it myself? I wonder if they'd have to because I would have to return a receiver.. oh well, DTV reps to the rescue.

If you already have your HR22 connected to the internet,and whole home viewing through SWM, than in theory you already have all the equipment you need. That said you will probably need to upgrade to a SWiM 16 if you want the 34/44 and to keep your current 22 and have tuners and not just remote clients in the other rooms. 34/44= 5 tuners + HR22= 2 tuners + 2 H21= 2 tuners = 9 tuners totals. add 1 more if you want to have the CCK on it's own leg instead of running through the 34/44 ( some say it is better to have direct line from CCK to SWiM, others insist it works just as well going through the DVR ) and you would now have 10 legs.

I'm not going to have that second H21, so it'll be only one H21. Do have a source/explanation on the advantages of running the CCK directly to SWiM? First I'm hearing of this.

The CCK(this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...A2PR)&c=Satellite Components&sku=700112818769 ,or this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...n-Kit-(DECABB1R0)&c=Satellite Components&sku= ),connected to your router by ethernet,allows the internet to run over your coaxial cable to your HR22 & H21's without them having to be connected to any switches you might have by ethernet cable. Now, you'll need a DECA adapter(this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-DECA2--(DCA2SR0)&c=Satellite Components&sku= ,or this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DECA--(DECA1MR01)&c=Satellite Components&sku= ) attached to both your HR22 & H21 that you keep. They are attached to your coaxial cable to both your HR22 & H21 with the coaxial part od the DECA adapter attached to your satellite in of your DVR/receiver & the ethernet part of the DECA adapter attached to the ethernet connection of your DVR/receiver. That way no ethernet connection is needed to any switch you might have. They also have a wireless CCK( http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ection-Kit-(CCKW)&c=Satellite Components&sku= ) which can connect to your router,if it is a wireless router,& run internet connection to your other DVR/receivers over the coaxial cable.

I already know most of this. My main question would be why I would need the CCK if I already have http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as..._campaign=PJ_AFF&utm_medium=AFF&utm_source=PJ wired to my receivers for whole-home viewing. Isn't it the exact same thing, or am I missing something here?

Starting from the beginning, what your order would most likely be is for a genie and 2 clients (or minis) this will allow you to pause/play live tv in all locations, what you have now is just whole home. In short the only thing you are missing is the ability to pause live tv on the two HD receivers in your bedrooms.

You can absolutely put the genie in your living room and move the current hddvr to a bedroom and just have one hd receiver swapped to a mini. This will still allow you to pause/play live tv in all locations, AND allow you to retain all of the existing recordings on the existing dvr. The "whole home" or all of the receivers (pun intended) will allow you to see recordings from either dvr (genie or existing) from any location. When you tell a program to record from the location of the existing dvr it will record to that location, when you tell a program to record from either the genie or mini genie, it will record to the genie. But again the two lists will merge into one and you can see recordings across the entire setup. Hope this clears up the differences between the genie and your existing setup.

Now, the CCK or Cinema Connection Kit, is a completely different animal than what you linked. What you have are refereed to as Receiver DECAs or DECA Homes. These are adapters that allow an older generation receiver to connect to a multiroom environment or the internet in certain cases. While the CCK looks identical (but has a power supply included) in fact they are identical except for the serial numbers and internal directv line items, (which have no relevance to anyone other than techs) The CCK allows your directv system to access the internet allowing access to DirecTV OnDemand, Youtube, Pandora, and TV Apps. Regardless of what the website says, I assure you as a technician that we can add these products to any order free of charge so long as there is a Broadband Eligible line item on our order. (which all orders with a genie will have) In fact, chances are that you will receive the new HR44 genie which has a built in Wireless CCK. Making the external CCK products irrelevant during the install.

I recommend that you just call DirecTV at their main number 1800 531 5000 and set up your order that way and talk to a live CSR. If the website offers you this promo, so can a live CSR. That way they can answer any additional questions you may have.

Hopefully this covers everything, just to recap, as a tech I would recommend you have your order set up as a genie (advanced whole home dvr - swap relocate) and a mini (IRD - Client - swap replace). Then the tech will deactivate the remaining HD box and you will receive a recovery kit to mail it back to directv. Every HSP has different rules about techs taking receivers from customers homes to return (opposed to the recovery kit) My HSP for example only allows me to return boxes that are swapped for boxes off my truck. So because you will be moving the DVR to another location, the 3rd receiver is not being replaced by anything off my van, so therefore I cannot return it to my warehouse. However the second HD box is being swapped for a client off my van, thus I can return that box.

Starting from the beginning (...) thus I can return that box.
Firstly, thank you so much for the explanation for everything. I'm very grateful :)

Let me get something here straight. When I order the Genie, (I will probably get the HR44 like you said because I live in Minneapolis, a city on the list of beta tests), it comes with a built in wireless CCK. So what I would do is wirelessly connect it with WiFi to my home network. There will be no DECA or ethernet attached to it. The DECAs that I have right now will be kept like they are, not replaced with those black CCK DECAs (not sure on that part).

Also, I heard that with a Genie Mini, the way they made it silent and tiny is by making it so the Genie does the work, then relays it to the Mini. If I'm right, wouldn't it lag between my keypress (let's say, for example, me pressing the Guide button) and the Guide screen actually showing up. I'm not sure if the delay is that big, but I know there is one, so I'm not sure whether I should get a Mini or stay with one of my H21s. I know with the Mini, you can play/pause live TV, so I guess there's the pros/cons. You can't pause live TV with the H25 or H24, can you? I know that H25 is SWiM only so that's why I'm asking.

?Again, thanks. :)

I already know most of this. My main question would be why I would need the CCK if I already have http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as..._campaign=PJ_AFF&utm_medium=AFF&utm_source=PJ wired to my receivers for whole-home viewing. Isn't it the exact same thing, or am I missing something here?

I'm guessing that you have 4 of those adapters right? 1 per each DVR/receiver you have(3 total),plus one that would have a power inserter attached to it & hooked up to your router(the 4th one)? If that is true,then you should be set,you wouldn't need a newer CCK. This was what replaced that old white adapter with the power inserter as far as what they were installing http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...n-Kit-(DECABB1R0)&c=Satellite Components&sku= ,then everything else that I showed in my previous post. You could ask,if you have the old adapter with power inserter,if you have to exchange it,but you could eliminate it altogether by using the Genie as your CCK. IMO there is no need to get a client until they start fielding the C41W wireless client,which you can use for any TV that you use outdoors or away from any coaxial cable connection. With the receivers,H21/23/24/25 you cannot pause live TV. What you can do is program whatever you are watching to record from either your HR22 or Genie,then play the recording from your recording list(hit reord on what you are watching,immediately go to your recording list & hit play,& there you go,you can pause when you want to).

Last edited:
So if I'm right there are no advantages of the CCK rather than the DECA. What I think I'll do is get the CCK anyways, just because it's newer (and hey, it's free!)
Still debating the H21 vs. Genie Mini.
I wonder if DTV will give me a free H24/25 to replace the H21 that I'm keeping? That'd be nice. Calling them tomorrow.

So if I'm right there are no advantages of the CCK rather than the DECA. What I think I'll do is get the CCK anyways, just because it's newer (and hey, it's free!)
Still debating the H21 vs. Genie Mini.
I wonder if DTV will give me a free H24/25 to replace the H21 that I'm keeping? That'd be nice. Calling them tomorrow.

You can always ask the installer if they could swap it for you. Maybe slide him a few bucks if he does. As for the CCK and deca. CCK is Cinema Connection Kit. It allows you to access on demand, pandora, streaming to other device, etc.

You can always ask the installer if they could swap it for you. Maybe slide him a few bucks if he does. As for the CCK and deca. CCK is Cinema Connection Kit. It allows you to access on demand, pandora, streaming to other device, etc.

This is called a Cinema Connection Kit http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...A2PR)&c=Satellite Components&sku=700112818769 ,but to me it looks like the new black DECA adapter with a power inserter attached & no different than the old white DECA adapter with power inserter(which I believe is what the OP has) to connect to your router.

Regarding the question about lag with the client (mini-genie), vs ability to pause live tv, there is one more disadvantage to the clients that people tend to overlook...
If the Main Genie goes down for whatever reason, the Clients go down with it. So one equipment failure can affect many TV's.. This can be a big one and doesn't get pointed out enough.
Edit.. And as far as lag goes, yeah, it's there, but it's virtually unnoticeable. Unless your watching the same program on both the client and the main Genie and hear both TV's.. The lag is REALLY noticeable then (because of the Echo effect.. the client's usually about a 1/2 second behind).

I think I'll probably go with just a Genie, because I'm fine with not being able to pause live TV on my H21.

This is going to be the only difference between keeping hte H21 and changing to the Mini. As far as speed differences go... I personally am not a fan of the minis, but I deal with them daily many times a day. I see things normal consumers don;t. I would still recommend you change the H21 to a mini, as that will allow you to access youtube, pandora, and ondemand on the mini (which is not available on the H21) (so sorry thats one other difference) While the minis do take away from the 5 tuners of the genie having only 1 is not going to be much of an issue, you can still record 4 things at once if the mini is being utilized. Its when you get the genie +3minis orders that people dont understand if you are watching tv in all 4 locations your left with a 2 tuner genie.\\

I would most deffinently keep your existing hd/dvr combo however. Then swap one of the H21s with a genie, up to you on keeping the last H21 or getting a mini genie. If the installer has an H25 or H24 on his truck, feel free to tip him and request a "service swap" just to get a newer model. I do it all the time :D

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do that.
One (hopefully) last question: If I keep the HR22, and swap a H21 for the Genie, will I incur any extra MONTHLY charges?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)