Opinions on an OTA setup

They don't carry them in the store.. they have them direct shipped to your house from Televes located in Colorado..I have one on my camper that picked up stations 60 miles away in the hills of southern Ohio. The price is$149 but it's a great antenna..has a built-in pre-amp.. like I said if it doesn't work just simply return it to Lowes search Televes on Lowes and read the reviews

Look here:

Antenna Signal Prediction

Type in your Zip code and it will tell you what you need, where the station are, where to point and what you can expect from what you buy.

Here is also a pretty good tutorial on different antenna's and situations with examples.

How to Choose the Best TV Antenna & OTA DVR (Updated Guide)
A zip code can be a very large area and does not take into account topography. That would be useless in this case. FMJ77 says he lives in a valley. I wonder if he ever tried to aim his antenna toward a hill or mountain in the opposite direction of the transmission towers to see if he could catch a reflection.

Reactions: TheKrell
A zip code can be a very large area and does not take into account topography. That would be useless in this case. FMJ77 says he lives in a valley. I wonder if he ever tried to aim his antenna toward a hill or mountain in the opposite direction of the transmission towers to see if he could catch a reflection.
I just mentioned zip code but you can enter you complete address including address, street and city and it will calculate your exact elevation. It even asks if the antenna you plan on installing will be above or below 30' above ground level.

So yes, you can enter an exact address and it does take topography into account.

Reactions: TheKrell and sktrus
Look here:

Antenna Signal Prediction

Type in your Zip code and it will tell you what you need, where the station are, where to point and what you can expect from what you buy.

Here is also a pretty good tutorial on different antenna's and situations with examples.

How to Choose the Best TV Antenna & OTA DVR (Updated Guide)
None of these channel charts are acurate for my location. This one says I need a large antenna with a pre amp and the color purple code. With that setup I would be able to receive 3 channels from youngstown. Most of them say I can,t get any channels. I can vouch that the televese antenna works very well. I have it stationary pointed to Erie pa. and get every channel and get all the youngstown channels on the back side of the antenna. 22 erie channels, 13 youngstown channels, 1 coenerstone channel from hermitage, 4 pbs channels from alliance, Preety good for the televese. On my big channelmaster I get a lot of stations from pittsburgh, also wheeling wva. and stubenville ohio, and if i rotor it west I can get akron and cleveland area channels. I also stuck one of those Winegard high vhf and and uhf with the cartrige to connect coax on the rotor and do not get anything. Next summer I am going to lay thee tower down and try to figure why it will not work. I do not recomend these winegard antennas with the cartridge. If I can,t get that winegard to work I might replace it with another Televese antenna.

Reactions: Tvland1
$2,300 for locals? They couldn't pay me that much to watch that crap. As long as I have one for local news who cares. I barely watch the locals and questioned spending $100 for an attic antenna, I'd never pay $12.99 a month let alone $2,300 to view that crap programming.

Reactions: sktrus
$2,300 for locals? They couldn't pay me that much to watch that crap. As long as I have one for local news who cares. I barely watch the locals and questioned spending $100 for an attic antenna, I'd never pay $12.99 a month let alone $2,300 to view that crap programming.
Just because you don,t like locals ,doesn,t mean that everyone has the same opinion. I like all the old tv shows way better than the new garbage they broadcast now with way lower morality standards. I agree I don,t think I would go the $2300 dollar deal either.

Reactions: sktrus
None of these channel charts are acurate for my location. This one says I need a large antenna with a pre amp and the color purple code. With that setup I would be able to receive 3 channels from youngstown. Most of them say I can,t get any channels. I can vouch that the televese antenna works very well. I have it stationary pointed to Erie pa. and get every channel and get all the youngstown channels on the back side of the antenna. 22 erie channels, 13 youngstown channels, 1 coenerstone channel from hermitage, 4 pbs channels from alliance, Preety good for the televese. On my big channelmaster I get a lot of stations from pittsburgh, also wheeling wva. and stubenville ohio, and if i rotor it west I can get akron and cleveland area channels. I also stuck one of those Winegard high vhf and and uhf with the cartrige to connect coax on the rotor and do not get anything. Next summer I am going to lay thee tower down and try to figure why it will not work. I do not recomend these winegard antennas with the cartridge. If I can,t get that winegard to work I might replace it with another Televese antenna.
Boy do I know that area well, I grew up in Campbell, a suburb of Y'Town! From my home, old days, I was able to get NBC, CBS, ABC from Youngstown and also a lot of the PA and Erie channels just using an old stacked Radio Shack UHF on top of a VHF antenna on a rotor.

But now a days, VHF is kaput and all is UHF digital (Higher bandwidth on UHF, so they sold off the VHF spectrum).

Boy do I know that area well, I grew up in Campbell, a suburb of Y'Town! From my home, old days, I was able to get NBC, CBS, ABC from Youngstown and also a lot of the PA and Erie channels just using an old stacked Radio Shack UHF on top of a VHF antenna on a rotor.

But now a days, VHF is kaput and all is UHF digital (Higher bandwidth on UHF, so they sold off the VHF spectrum).
Erie channel 12 is vhf frequency, So is the reason I got the televese antenna mentioned. Some times I can get the channel 9 from stubenville ohio which is actual channel 9 feequency. on the back side of that antenna But I get stubenville on the channelmaster antenna pointed to pittsburg. I already had the channelmaster and it has some corosion but decided to keep using it as a new one like it cost $300.00 from channelmasterI put a new preamplifier and a new coax transformer and reinstalled a piece that fell off. The old preamplifier had a burnt spot on the circuit board. I guess if you lived near canbell you should know where greenville pa is. I live east of greenville about 9 miles 16130

I like all the old tv shows way better than the new garbage they broadcast now with way lower morality standards.
Dish carries only one Public station KET in KY. I like the quality of programming. After installing airtv tuner, I am able to get 3 sub channels from KET. And, they r fantastic. The point is u really get a lot of subchannels. I spent my childhood overseas. Grew up on fantastic American shows. (Daltons, The Little House on Prairie, The Bewitched, etc.) Now, I am able to record and watch The Andy Griffith Show from Metv, which is a sub channel. Love the stories, acting ,moral values. And Don Knotts, one of the best as Barney.
I recommend it to anybody who can install antenna and give it a try. Yes, u have to look at the ROI (return of investment). What is the cost vs what u get out of it. In my case, $30 bucks for airtv, nothing for antenna (Had one in the attic) and a lot of help from good folks here.

Reactions: the mack
I only watch the occasional NFL or college football game on the channels I'm missing. I've been streaming games on my tablet with a couple of "questionably legal" apps and it works fine. I don't plan on spending $2300+ for an antenna installation.

Hijack alert. I'm going to replace all the coax to my ota antenna. I'll use RG6 for about 100'. There's lot's of different ones available, especially on Amazon. What is most important factor, makeup of core (copper clad, solid copper, aluminum, etc) or amount of shielding (dual, triple, quad) or something else?

Thanks.

Hijack alert. I'm going to replace all the coax to my ota antenna. I'll use RG6 for about 100'. There's lot's of different ones available, especially on Amazon. What is most important factor, makeup of core (copper clad, solid copper, aluminum, etc) or amount of shielding (dual, triple, quad) or something else?

Thanks.

Standard dual copper clad is all you need. It's easier to work with and quad shield is a waste for most applications, especially an OTA antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)