Opinions please: XBOX 360 vs. PS3

I'm strictly an XP facility here. No Vista.

Plus, I'm not really interested in the media server applications.

BTW- HD DVD is not new to me as I've had the Tosh A30 for 5 months now.

I'm strictly an XP facility here. No Vista.

Plus, I'm not really interested in the media server applications.

BTW- HD DVD is not new to me as I've had the Tosh A30 for 5 months now.

well then get the xp -> mce upgrade cd from "The usual places" and run it that way :) he he, Just playing.

My gamer tag is Shiba Tsubo btw. Feel free to add me as a friend for xbox live.

Seems like 90% of games come out for both systems. The exclusives tend to get a lot of focus but there aren't that many of them. Here are some of the top of my head:

PS3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy
Resistance: Fall of Man

360:
Gears of War
Crackdown

Here are the wikipedia lists:
List of Xbox 360 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of PlayStation 3 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You totally overlooked the flagship Halo series that has put Xbox360 ahead of PS3 by leaps and bounds.

I have both systems, and if a game is available on both, I always buy the Xbox360 version. PS3 isn't bad, I just like the 360 better, especially the online play.

It would be hard to have a lower reliability rating than a 360 for any product. At it's worst the rate was probably 30-40%. That said I read that models in the last 6 months are more reliable. I had one die which was a premium from September 06.

Yes, the 360 has a high failure rate, but they are extending the warranties and repairing them as they fail. They have also made changes to the product that have reduced failures of the newer models.

Personally, I would expect one of my two 360's to fail before my PS3 for the simple fact that I use the 360's a heck of a lot more than the PS3. Like anything, the more you use it the more likely you are to have a failure.

You know... if you never turn on a light, the bulb isn't going to burn out.

I wasn't a gamer either when I bought my PS3 as a BD player,

Wow, you too? I was told in another post that I was pretty much alone in buying a PS3 primarily as a BD player. I think a lot of non-gamers or Xbox gamers have bought and are buying PS3 for Bluray. It is still the cheapest, or one of the cheapest BD players you can buy. I considered the game play a perk of a Bluray player I bought. Not the other way around. Sony was smart to keep the PS3 as the cheapest BD player. They have succeeded in getting non-gamers like yourself into the gaming world.

I really think a lot of people are doing what you did, buying these PS3s for bluray primarily. Then they discover, or re-discover gaming. And since Bluray has one the HD format war now *cries* I think this trend will continue.

Happy gaming!

All I see is some RPG there. (You are an RPG******, I see you playing RPG's every time I log on live..)
BTW am not interested on those games :p
FFXIII all the way, it will blow all those titles out of the water.
If you read my post, they are my personal preferences.

Mass Effect is bad ass.... you guys just reminded me I need to get back to playing it. I was stuck on a very difficult part of a mission and moved onto another game for a while, forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder. I love Mass Effect!!! Great stuff!

Great choice Don. I think you will be amazed at all of the things you can watch off XBL Marketplace.

Thanks, but I didn't really make that choice alone. Everyone's help here made, hopefully a wise choice for the first system. Maybe this summer, I'll add the PS3 too.

I'm still happy with my 2 360s, even though one was already fixed by MS. Took a total of 3 weeks. I do expect my other will crap out one day since it has an early 2006 date. As long as I get a working system back with no more issues, I'm good.

I'm still happy with my 2 360s, even though one was already fixed by MS. Took a total of 3 weeks. I do expect my other will crap out one day since it has an early 2006 date. As long as I get a working system back with no more issues, I'm good.
My cousin got one at launch and I think he said that he's had like 5+ boxes that have failed on him. I think if another one screws up I may have to sit him down and say, "You know.. 360's do have a reputation for having more problems than a typical system.. but are you sure YOU are not doing something wrong as well??" Then again he hasn't had the best of luck with systems. His newest one that he got, apparently the eject button doesn't work. He has to do it within the 360 menu.

I got the new 360 installed last evening and only had some problems setting up the online account. I apparently exited out too soon and next didn't realize that my name I selected was already used but once I caught on to my problems I zipped right along and the people who told me about the Marketplace being great were right on. For me, a newbie, I'll have lots of fun with the free stuff for quite some time. Suire glad I bought the 120G Hard drive system. I can see I'll be filling it up pretty fast.

I must comment on the picture quality and the sound. It is much better than I expected. I am using HDMI and FO DD5.1 to the AMP. I have the system set for 1080p.

I had a little surprise with the remote control. Didn't know it would give me little bumping sensations when I hit something in a game. That is cute.

I had a little surprise with the remote control. Didn't know it would give me little bumping sensations when I hit something in a game. That is cute.
There you go. Can't get that with the PS3 :) Not until the new DUALSHOCK 3 is released.

My cousin got one at launch and I think he said that he's had like 5+ boxes that have failed on him.

With the 360's failure rates (albeit improving), it boggles the mind that anyone can criticized Sony's BD-playing PS3 for being rushed to market before it was ready with profile 1.1/2.0. Clearly the 360 was the hardware rushed to market and not ready for prime time. Bugs and upgradeable firmware are one thing, but complete hardware failure... .

With the 360's failure rates (albeit improving), it boggles the mind that anyone can criticized Sony's BD-playing PS3 for being rushed to market before it was ready with profile 1.1/2.0. Clearly the 360 was the hardware rushed to market and not ready for prime time. Bugs and upgradeable firmware are one thing, but complete hardware failure... .

Huh? I have NEVER heard of that criticism. I'm not saying that you are lying, but I think that proves that you can't compare the two situations. I mean people complain about the lack of availability of the Wii (Which I've had since December of '06 thank you!) but at least once you get them they likely won't break!

One strange thing about the Wii is that I find that that gets really warm. Not when you are playing, but if you just leave it plugged in it gets almost hot on the left side. The temperature in the one spot is comparable to heat you get from playing a 360 for 2 hours.

I played some games last night for 4 hours. Man this thing is addicting!

I picked up the little key pad for the control. It plugged in fine but It doesn't seem to work. Won't even light up. Am I missing something. The instructions said about being logged into Live Play to be sure I had the latest updates and I guess I do have them. I wonder if there is a driver disk I need to load? None came with the key pad. If I need to go find the setup procedure on the keypad, where might that be?

I connected my HD DVD drive and it had a disk for the setup. It worked just fine! I still like the Toshiba Player better but if this works without the bugs on a few disks I had I'll be real happy!

Hope to get the steering wheel set up today.

BTW- My wife who hates games saw me playing the Pirates of the Caribbean game and got fascinated with it. She may discover the XBOX games are interesting too.

re the PS3 vs. XBOX- I have to admit the XBOX is an ugly piece that doesn't fit together well while the PS3 is really slick looking on the shelf.

re the PS3 vs. XBOX- I have to admit the XBOX is an ugly piece that doesn't fit together well while the PS3 is really slick looking on the shelf.

Not that I find the Xbox360 all too sexy (even though you can buy face plates for it), I don't exactly find the PS3 glamorous either. It is not big deal, as I have it standing sideways and tucked back in behind my LCD TV. But I don't like the design of the PS3 any more than I do the 360.

Two things of note- Both the Xbox360 and the PS3 are very loud machines when playing a disc, whether it be a game or in PS3's case, especially watching a BD. I have a lot of somewhat flat white noise in my livingroom/office (air conditioner, HEPA filater, aquarium pump and heater, laptop chill pad, webserver tucked away in cabinet but noisy, etc) so I am used to a low level of noise pollution while hanging out in my office setup. But when I am using either of these gaming consoles, they get very loud, sometimes to the point where when I have the audio on for example a BD, I can still here the PS3 spinning away. Loud!

One more thing to consider- DO NOT stand your Xbox 360 up. I had mine standing up for a while and kept getting disc errors, causing me to abort what I was doing. If I hadn't saved the game, oh well, it was toast. Fortunately, this never scratched a disc. Other than that little attempt at standing one of my 360's up, I have never had an issue of disc errors or freezing with either unit. You just have to use the lay down method and fit the 360 into the cabinet somehow with your other components. The PS3 on the other hand works fine standing up and per the above paragraph, it looks better standing up due to its design. I have mine tucked away so you only see a little bit of the front.

I love both my systems, and my wife's wii, in each their own way. We have come a long way from the Colecovision and Intellevision (and the cheap crapster Atari), followed by the NES and Sega and everything in between then and now. I love the nostelgia of playing Super Mario brothers on my wife's wii, and their store has the Japanese version of Super Mario 2, which was almost the same as Super Mario Brothers. I love going back and paying those old games. Brings back the little bit of excitment I had in my childhood. I remember hanging out in the basement as a teenager playing Dragon's Quest for hours a day, or giving Wizards and Warriors a whirl on the NES. But we have come a long way in these games. From NES Ice Hockey (gotta love the pudgy badass or the skinny speedster) and 10 Yard Fight to EA Sports chain of sports games today. Gaming just keeps getting better.

You really can't go wrong with a 360, wii, or PS3, or even all three like so many of us do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, Skottey.

I guess I got lucky with the install then. I removed my HR10-250 HD TIVO and that shelf was forced air cooled. The TIVO with 2 additional hard drives would get very hot so I had installed the shelf fan to circulate air in and out. The fan is pretty quiet although maintaened the TIVO air temps below 85 degrees.
The front is a smoke glass door. Unfortunately the shelf is not high enough or wide enough for the XBOX and the HDDVD drive so The drive had to go elsewhere. I have not had a problem with noise that I heard so many complain about. I never would run the system with the front glass door open either. My shelving is height adjustable so I may figure out a way to redistribute the shelves so I can get the HD DVD drive in the same place and the console sitting on top as it is shown in the manual.
I wonder if the XBOX standing upright is what has caused people problems.

Didn't matter how the 360 was placed. I have friends who placed them in both positions with the RRoD. From what I've read there was too much heat built up inside and was causing the MB to warp. This was causing cracks in the solder joints. The 3 light RRoD is a general hardware failure. Could be cracks in the solder around the GPU or CPU. I doubt MS will come every tell us the exact issue. But is does look like they've solved the problem. Only time will tell. Enjoy your 360, knowing it's covered for 3 years.

Didn't matter how the 360 was placed. I have friends who placed them in both positions with the RRoD. From what I've read there was too much heat built up inside and was causing the MB to warp. This was causing cracks in the solder joints. The 3 light RRoD is a general hardware failure. Could be cracks in the solder around the GPU or CPU. I doubt MS will come every tell us the exact issue. But is does look like they've solved the problem. Only time will tell. Enjoy your 360, knowing it's covered for 3 years.

You are right... it doesn't make a difference for Red Ring of Death, but, it makes a difference with the disc errors coming up if it is standing up. It is just better to lie it down. There isn't much we can do about RRoD except send it off if it does happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)