Opinons on the 360??

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
I am entering the market for a new gaming system. I have been a PlayStation fan since the release of the PS1 but am not too keen on the huge price tag that is being asked for the PS3. Regardless of whether I purchased a PS3, I would keep my PS2 anyways (as I would move it into a different room).

I think I would enjoy a Wii for all of the classic Nintendo game downloads, but am looking for a system that would give me access to Grand Theft Auto 4. Two other reasons I would consider the 360 are the Halo series and Forza Motorsports. However, I have heard a lot of complaints about the XBox hardware and am looking for some opinions on the board here.

I could always purchase the PS3 (hey, at least then I could play MotorStorm) and expect things to pick up in the future (similar to the transition from the PS1 to the PS2, in my opinion). What's YOUR call?

Thanks!

One more thing: If I purchase the 360 core system, can I still save games? I know this might sound a bit odd but I was told earlier this morning that I could not. I had just thought you could purchase the 360 and then buy some sort of memory unit.

if you buy the 360 core, you can still save games by buying a memory card, or you can find Hard drives on ebay that arent too crazy anymore...as far as hardware quality, they have gotten alot better, but there still are problems...I have been through 4 360s, with various problems. I just recently bought a brand new one, and it will not read my rainbow six vegas disk every once in a while, but it still works. I enjoy the 360 and think it offers many great games, but if I had the money, and was a PS fan, the Ps3 is a great piece of hardware. It comes down to what games do you enjoy, and what games will you play as remember we will not be there playing them with you (unless you get on live). As far as hardware quality I give the edge to Sony, but I am sure other people will weigh in and give you there opinnion! enjoy and let us know what you choose, and make sure you fill out the thread for the correct system so we can catch up online with you!

I'm a long time PS2 owner who jumped in and got a 360 last November, a Premium along w/ the HD-DVD add-on. Likewise, I'm interested in the PS3, but I have a mantra "never buy the first version of anything" that I like to stand by when I can...tight supplies and a steep price tag helped. I still plan on purchasing a PS3, but not until Summer, probably.

My impressions of the 360:

1) The Box--Not as high on the build quality as Sony. My system's optical drive went down after only 7 weeks, and that wasn't 7 weeks of hardcore gaming, either. A nice unit, but the optical drive's noise issues, overheating, etc. suggest a few corners were cut to either get to market first or keep the price down or both. The external HD drive is a bit horsey, definitely not as elegant as a built-in, but oh well.

2) The Experience--User experience/interface is very well designed and Live is fantastic in its comprehensive integration. No surprise there. Microsoft and partners have definitely gotten it right and set the bar. Easy to use. Lots to do. I've enjoyed Live Arcade titles, Movie trailers and entire films in HD, online gaming, etc. This is a real HD entertainment system...even if it doesn't have HDMI. HD-DVDs could/should be better integrated, but they look splendid and its great to be able to hedge against Blu-ray for so little an investment. Overall, the system/experience looks and sounds great--such a leap from the PS2 it makes playing the old system a bit of a culture shock.

3) Software--Really, this is where I have truly mixed feelings. There are plenty of solid titles for the 360. I have a number of games I really, really like...enough to keep me plenty busy in my (rarer than I'd like) free time. BUT...it's a whole different vibe than the Playstation library/universe, and not entirely to my preferred tastes. WAAAAY too heavy on the first person/third person shooters and, to be honest, very purile adolescent types of gaming experiences. Not enough role playing, platforming, humorous (without being absolute low brow) or fantastical (without being metal-head literal medieval, ala Oblivion) content for my tastes. Playstation had an international feel and a much broader array of types of games. On the 360, mostly you have a variant of playing soldier. They've acknowledged that their base is the 'hardcore' gamer...13 and full of testosterone, and not used to things with much real imagination, apparently. Microsoft, as I said, is keenly aware of this, and is pushing for a broadening of their game titles into other styles in the hopes of attracting other types of gamers to the platform. There are some really tasty titles coming down the pipe that I'm quite excited about--Mass Effect, Bioshock, and, of course, Halo 3. Your mileage/tastes may vary.

4) Overall Value--All in all, solid. The Live service is worth the $50/yr. The system, though having its quality control issues, is robust and delivers a whole heaping spoonful of HD entertainment. Did I even mention its uses as a Media Center Extender--it's awesome. You can play music and movies over your network. Even WM9 HD movies. Just don't kid yourself that it's truly less expensive than a PS3...it's really not. Add up the features and look at my receipts if you don't believe me. The PS3 is NOT overpriced...you will easily spend the same on a comparable Xbox config, and it won't be as elegantly all-in-one. But, I think both systems are a solid value because of what you get for each dollar spent--forward-thinking, HD-savvy entertainment that goes beyond just games.

I'm happy I got the 360. Seeing the recent Sony announcements from the Game Developers conference, it seems the online arena is about to heat up. I say, GOOD!, cause that's only going to mean better product to the consumer. This generation is, despite all the drama and fanboy in-fighting, shaping up nicely, imho...

The only thing i don't like about the xbox 360, well the main reason is the sound those fans make :/ other than that everything else is perfect.

The only thing i don't like about the xbox 360, well the main reason is the sound those fans make :/ other than that everything else is perfect.

was that a nice comment about the 360 from you wolfy?? I think someone has taken over your account and made some posts! :) Just kidding buddy.

I wouldn't get the core version. You will want to have the hard drive.

There is SO MUCH you can do with an XBOX 360 without ever buying a game for it, lots of free trial versions of games from the XBOX Live feature, plus lots of TV shows you can watch and do much more. Plus if you have a Windows Media Center PC you can actually watch LIVE TV, DVR'ed recording, browse pictures and access all your music.

Most of the time I am using my XBOX360 I am not even playing video games. :)

I've had my 360 since launch. I haven't had a single problem with mine, nor do I notice any noise from the fan as a lot of people on here talk about. The HD-DVD is nice to have too.

I have the PS3 also. There isn't much difference to me really. I think the 360 interface is much better and easier to use. I don't even have any games for the PS3 though. There are really none that I want right now. I've mainly just used it as a Blu-Ray player.

But I would recommend not getting the core system.

I love my 360, it will be a year in April since I purchased it and it has been rock solid. I've had no problems with it what so ever no lockups and that kinda stuff. I've only purchased 2 games for it, ES4 Oblivion and PGR3. I'm still working my way through them. Everything else I have has been downloaded.

Go for the premium system as it has the hard disk, wireless controller and the head set for XBOX Live. It is a solid investment for a die hard gamer, well worth the 400 clams.

As for the Sony I can't give an first hand opinion on that, I do not buy Sony products, not a one in the house. But my brother who has both has told me he likes his 360 better, he's only been using the PS3 as a BR player.

I wouldn't get the core version. You will want to have the hard drive.

There is SO MUCH you can do with an XBOX 360 without ever buying a game for it, lots of free trial versions of games from the XBOX Live feature, plus lots of TV shows you can watch and do much more. Plus if you have a Windows Media Center PC you can actually watch LIVE TV, DVR'ed recording, browse pictures and access all your music.

Most of the time I am using my XBOX360 I am not even playing video games. :)

I had the same concern as the original poster (Grand Theft Auto IV), but have only looked at the premium version of the system. It's as you said: There are simply so many things you can do with that system without ever purchasing a single game (although the games a very important part of the equation for me).

My only concern is the large number of complaints I sometime hear regarding the problems people sometimes have with the hardware. In all the years I have owned systems (Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PS1, and PS2), I have never once had problems with the hardware with the exception of the original NES. I can remember, as a kid, being told to remove the game and blow into the end of the cartridge and into the system itself to remove the dust. I'm not sure if that was the real problem with the performance but it seemed to work most of the time.... :)

I'm pretty excited about the Wii... I would love to play Punch Out, the Mario series, and Sim City once again.

Cade

Best deal is to buy form Overstock.com

Price of premium system is $399

Use the 10% off coupon and the price come down to 359.10

Close to the cost of the Core version. Plus you do not pay tax. So you figure you theoretically saved an additional 6%

In my opinion Sams Club has the best deal. $449 for the premium system. Comes with hard drive, 2 wireless controllers, 1 rechargeable battery, headset, and HD cable. Some even come with a bag that you can transport everything in. And some I've seen with games too. I think the 360 is the best gaming system out there. It has tons of games for it with tons more to come and very great quality graphics. I have had mine for a long time and never had any problems with it.

Starting in March the PS3 will start having some very fun games hitting the market. Besides Restance:Fall of Man, and Motorstorm that just came out, there are other games on the horizon. The real question you should ask yourself is if you have $600 for a system. The PS3 is expensive as consoles go and you would have to be interested somewhat in BluRay movies to get the most out of your PS3 for now.

On the XBOX360 side, you also have some excellant games, and they are basically 1st and 3rd person shooters, but they are great shooters. And if Mass Effect plays out well, it will be an excellant RPG/adventure game. However, there has not been any really good platformers on the 360 yet nor games with alot of humor. I don't know why because it is a good console-- maybe M$ doesn't like those type of games. Also, their have been some decent racers and their online is excellent with some very good downloadable 'oldies but goodies' games.

As for which system is better -- that is the wrong question. Buying a system is always about the games. You buy the one that has the games you want to play the most. For me that has always be the Playstation brand of consoles. Once you answer for yourself what games you really want to play, you will have the answer to which console to buy. Good Luck

360, IMHO, is a great machine. Now does it have some issues, my biggest is noise (when you are playing) sounds like a jet getting ready to take off. OK, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. Nothing too major, just something you have to get used to. Beyond that, I haven't ran into anything else.

I love Xbox Live Marketplace, I think it is about as good as you can expect from a "Game console". It is not a computer, so why should Internet be like on a PC? You can download games, movies, TV shows, gamer pics, etc. all from this wonderful feature. Kudos to Microsoft on that one.

Game selection, well, you've got a lot (maybe not PS2 level, heck not even XBOX level yet, though at least some (about 120 or so) Xbox games will play on the 360) to chose from. Though I have to admit, most I don't have interest in, but how can that be any different than PS2 and XBOX was, or even PS3 will be?

I logged something like 100+ hours of game time (not counting DVD playing or Live browsing and downloading) on my old 360, that I sold, on various games, and I never had any lock ups, or any problems getting 360 to come on (new owners--sold it to one of my friends, for their kid--have had no problems either, and he's an 8 year old, so you know he's rough on it). My new 360, has already saw 20 hours of game time with 0 problems--no lock ups, no freezing, etc... Now of course, some results may vary, in other words, I know others have had problems, but I've had good luck with both of the 360's I've bought.

Finally, IMO, one thing about 360 that I like is that nothing is forced down your throat. You can buy the core--though I'd recommend buying Premium, you'll spend more than $100 on HD alone, not to mention wireless controller, etc.--you can buy or not buy HD-DVD drive, etc... If you chose to get Core, you'll have to get HD AV-cables if you want to hook up to HDTV, at least a memory card--though HDD would be required for big files like movies, games, etc., wireless controller if you want to go wireless--which is VERY nice.

So if you are buying your first 360, I'd highly recommend getting Premium, because you'll have everything you need right out of the box. Then you can add, if you want, HD-DVD drive, steering wheel, additional controllers, wireless network adapter (from my experience, wired is better anyways) etc...

i am on 5th 360 and I would still get a 360 over ps3. Also get the premium version and i suggest the HD DVD player too. they are outstanding to watch.

I love my 360. The only thing I have a problem is the lack of multi-player games. My wife and I like to play together and there seem to be very few titles that support 2 or more players. Guess I need to get another 360!

I am entering the market for a new gaming system. I have been a PlayStation fan since the release of the PS1 but am not too keen on the huge price tag that is being asked for the PS3. Regardless of whether I purchased a PS3, I would keep my PS2 anyways (as I would move it into a different room).

I think I would enjoy a Wii for all of the classic Nintendo game downloads, but am looking for a system that would give me access to Grand Theft Auto 4. Two other reasons I would consider the 360 are the Halo series and Forza Motorsports. However, I have heard a lot of complaints about the XBox hardware and am looking for some opinions on the board here.

I could always purchase the PS3 (hey, at least then I could play MotorStorm) and expect things to pick up in the future (similar to the transition from the PS1 to the PS2, in my opinion). What's YOUR call?

Thanks!

I've had teh XBox360 since launch day. I do have the loud fan, but I play things loud enough that it isn't a big issue for me. XBox Live (both the Arcade and Marketplace) is now firing on all cylinders. If you are older, (30 something older) it is a no brainer... the retro games are a hook that keeps helping relive the good ole days... If you have a fast broadband connection, you've got plenty of HD and SD content available as well... As for the games, the Sony exclusives are all just about history. They've only got a handful of the established franchises left, and a few more are defecting to multiplatform. I have the Wii too and it is OK, but my kids seem to enjoy it more than me.

Sony's Home service has just been announced. It may or may not compete with the 360's service, but it is free and developer centric, meaning that Sony won't get inbetween like Microsoft does to "ensure a uniform experience". WHATEVER you do, get one with a hard drive,.... you'll have to buy a memory card anyway for $40, and at that point, the extra $60 buys you the hard drive and a few other accessories....

If you can wait a few weeks, I'd do so as a version 1.5 box (supposedly code named Zephyr) is due that will add a bigger drive and HDMI output. If that doesn't appeal to you, the gazillion hardcore types who will trade in their earlier models may entice you... Just make sure you try and avoid boxes manufactured prior to March 2006, as they had a higher probability of problems, and the warranty has run out so you'll be on your own if there is a failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts