optical cable

llzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
St Louis
Anyone else having problem with the optical cable staying in the 722 slot? My sound cuts out from time to time and I need to reach back and barely wiggle the optical cable and the sound returns. I changed cables but same results. It just doesn't seem to seat properly.
do the optical and coax sound cables operate equally?

Anyone else having problem with the optical cable staying in the 722 slot? My sound cuts out from time to time and I need to reach back and barely wiggle the optical cable and the sound returns. I changed cables but same results. It just doesn't seem to seat properly.

NO they don't....wouldn't it be great if people who didn't know what they were talking about, didn't answer questions like they did?:eureka

The optical is capable of sending out surround sound, the red and white rca cables only deliver stereo sound, NOT surround.
You want to use the optical if at all possible, you'll really notice the difference watching sports.

:eureka When all else fails......use Duct tape to hold the optical cable in:p:p:p

You could try another optical cable. Optical and HDMI should sound the sound, but not the others. I haven't had this problem at the 722 end, but have had it at the switch I attach it to.

YES!!! did a swap two weeks ago. THe cust who was a electronics guru knew his stuff. The FOC connection in the 722 was not receptive to the FOC cable. Design flaw?

YES!!! did a swap two weeks ago. THe cust who was a electronics guru knew his stuff. The FOC connection in the 722 was not receptive to the FOC cable. Design flaw?

It is just a standard TOSlink connector. I don't see how it could be a design flaw. Mine works just fine.

Ted

NO they don't....wouldn't it be great if people who didn't know what they were talking about, didn't answer questions like they did?:eureka

The optical is capable of sending out surround sound, the red and white rca cables only deliver stereo sound, NOT surround.
You want to use the optical if at all possible, you'll really notice the difference watching sports.

:eureka When all else fails......use Duct tape to hold the optical cable in:p:p:p

Umm.. the OP did say coax and as I don't have a 722 (mine is a 622) I was going to tell him that coax and optical are basically the same. It could be that the person you jumped all over came to the same conclusion. Coax audio refers to 1 cable that DOES carry digital sound not the L/R RCA cables. If the 722 does indeed have coax audio it would be just as good as the optical.

Umm.. the OP did say coax and as I don't have a 722 (mine is a 622) I was going to tell him that coax and optical are basically the same. It could be that the person you jumped all over came to the same conclusion. Coax audio refers to 1 cable that DOES carry digital sound not the L/R RCA cables. If the 722 does indeed have coax audio it would be just as good as the optical.

My 722 does not have the coax digital out port. It has the TOSlink.

My 722 does not have the coax digital out port. It has the TOSlink.

Well that's settled then.. the OP should have been more careful with his terms. The first response about the 2 (optical and coax) by andrewski remains valid, however, and he should not have been attacked. I, personally, like the coax better as the cables are less prone to breaking and the connecters are better. But alas, most devices seem to eschew them in favor of optical.

My optical cable works good. Never has been a problem. Sounds like you have two bad cables or something is wrong with the optical cable port on your 722. What is the latest with your troubles? Do you have it figured out yet?

it seems like optical port on the 722 is broke. Connection is very loose. I've tried 2 cables. I have dish repair coming this afternoon to replace my bad DP44 and I'll have them look at the 722. I failed to mention that the 211 optical port is snug and I have no problems

it seems like optical port on the 722 is broke. Connection is very loose. I've tried 2 cables. I have dish repair coming this afternoon to replace my bad DP44 and I'll have them look at the 722. I failed to mention that the 211 optical port is snug and I have no problems

Ok, thanks. Let us know how things turn out for you.

Then it is obviously broken. !sadroll

Ted
yes of course it is....Then I guess the other 722 on my truck( always bring spares) I tried to plug the same cable into was broken as well..
Stop arguing..Obviously i am not the only one to experience this problem with the 722. Otherwise this thread would have never started..

yes of course it is....Then I guess the other 722 on my truck( always bring spares) I tried to plug the same cable into was broken as well..
Stop arguing..Obviously i am not the only one to experience this problem with the 722. Otherwise this thread would have never started..

Now you're not. I had one that I installed, and the tab to hold the cable in was broke, the customer was in a hurry and didn't have time for me to put in another one and activate it, so he grabbed some duct tape(hence my idea) and secured it in. If the customer's happy, I'm happy:D

update:
I got tired of losing sound so I switched to the RCA outputs(red and white only) from the 722 to my Bose 3-2-1 system.
I know RCA doesn't give 5.1 output but I thought it wouldn't matter with a Bose 3-2-1 system. Am I correct?
I have home protection with Dish, so I might call and complain

Be Nice

Nothing matters with Bose, it's not like you are getting the entire audible spectrum with Bose anyways.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

Just be cause it's true doesn't mean you have to break the poor guys heart. Anyway the answer is no the RCA's out only supply stereo. Then your Bose is just taking the stereo and simulating a surround field.

Just be cause it's true doesn't mean you have to break the poor guys heart. Anyway the answer is no the RCA's out only supply stereo. Then your Bose is just taking the stereo and simulating a surround field.
So Bose is just another electronics mfgr with a large ad budget and overpriced but very ordinary equipment?.
I don't own anything Bose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)