optical sound faster than HDMI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

2muchspl

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
my 700 is hooked up to the screen with HDMI and I have an optical cable going from the 700 to my 6.1 reciever.

I noticed today when I turned my reciever on to listen to XM and still had the TV volume up a lil, I could clearly hear the reciever was beating the TV to the words of the song.

every since I got D* HD, the audio has seemed off by .5-.75" (on the delayed side, mouth move then I hear the word)

I switced cables with my PS3 and it doesnt appear to be cable related.
any opinions?????

I've noticed that a few times on HD-DVD player and my PS3 on my upstair HT where I don't have an HDMI capable AV receiver so I still use optical. If I forget to turn down TV volume, voices are all get a reverb effect.

my 700 is hooked up to the screen with HDMI and I have an optical cable going from the 700 to my 6.1 reciever.

I noticed today when I turned my reciever on to listen to XM and still had the TV volume up a lil, I could clearly hear the reciever was beating the TV to the words of the song.

every since I got D* HD, the audio has seemed off by .5-.75" (on the delayed side, mouth move then I hear the word)

I switced cables with my PS3 and it doesnt appear to be cable related.
any opinions?????

I think if you were using HDMI or optical to your AC receiver they would both be the same.

this model didnt have HDMI inputs on it:(.
yeah thats the best way to describe it as a reverb effect. I usaully have the TV speakers on for 65% of the time, I just was tryin to figure out a way to fix the delay I have- atleast i know I can get it back closer with the reciever.

If I swicthed to component and RCA's for the TV sound will I notice any picture loss? this is asuming the problem is HDMI related

I really was hoping they fixed it with the update from Tues/Wed night. it crazy cause it seems only to be on HD stuff, and even my locals from OTA are off.

Sounds like I have the same type of setup. First of all, yes sometimes the D* audio does get out of sync, but I believe the OP has the same problem I have noticed in the past. I never looked into it because I always had my tv volume down anyway. So you got me thinking and I did verify my theory. This applies to the reverb effect and is in the millisecond range, not .5 to .75 seconds as the OP stated, (Maybe the time estimate was not accurate?) My receiver that I use to control audio switching also has a configuration for speaker distance. As the distance changes the delay changes. When i set the distances to zero, the audio sync issue was not heard when I turned up the tv volume which carried the hdmi signal.

I was wondering about changing my setup to what I think I'm seeing here. Right now I use my reciever as my audio/video switch. My DVD, VCR (yes...I still have tapes), CD, and HR20 run all feeds through my reciever. The reciever is about 2 years old but doesn't have HDMI input/output so I use component to and from the reciever for video and optical to the reciever for audio. My HR20 has HDMI and my Sony SXRD has HDMI so I was wondering about bypassing the reciever for the video while leaving the audio to the reciever via the optical. Would the picture improve? (It's pretty darn good now but guess I'm always looking for ways to improve. Should add that I'm not ready to cross the "I need to upgrade the reciever" bridge with Mrs. K. She's pretty understanding but not that understanding..... Geez....I'm a wuss. :eek:)

well today instead of bein delayed , it was faster than the mouth movements,(and also on the 6.1) on ESPN2 drag racing esp. maybe not the .50-.75, but definatly ahead.

is there any way to cut the audio out of the HDMI? I tried running RCA's from the reciever(700) to the TV .But it didnt work,it makes the sound from HDMI a priority- thinking I could use a HDMI to DVI adapter and then another DVI to HDMI adapter (just rambling:eek:) to lose the audio.
I dont know think D* bout to get a call....

well today instead of bein delayed , it was faster than the mouth movements,(and also on the 6.1) on ESPN2 drag racing esp. maybe not the .50-.75, but definatly ahead.

is there any way to cut the audio out of the HDMI? I tried running RCA's from the reciever(700) to the TV .But it didnt work,it makes the sound from HDMI a priority- thinking I could use a HDMI to DVI adapter and then another DVI to HDMI adapter (just rambling:eek:) to lose the audio.
I dont know think D* bout to get a call....

That's a weird solution but it could work. An HDMI to DVI cable from momoprice.com would be a cheap way to try it.

If I swicthed to component and RCA's for the TV sound will I notice any picture loss? this is asuming the problem is HDMI related

If you switch to RCA you will not have DolbyDigital sound, if that matters to you.

If you want to strip the audio from HDMI, why not use component video and optical audio cables? Why mess with all the adapters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)