optimal conical scalar ring for Ku dish of 1.8 meters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

megadeth_rocks

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Hi, I want c band in my two 1.8 meters Ku dishes but I need to know what is the conical scalar ring type for use in this size of dishes? the angle of aperture matters? or is a std? thanks! add specs of my dish:
Model No.
MT-180M KU 180S
Reflector Optics
Offset
Offset Angle
23°
Aperture Efficiency
>80%
Horizontal Axis
180 cm
Vertical Axis
195 cm
GAIN@12.5 GHz Ku-Band
47 dB
Focal Length
108 cm
F/D Ratio
Mount Type
Az/El
Azimuth Alignment
360°
Elevation Alignment
0° ~90°
Pole Diameter
89 mm
Operating Temperature
-40°C ~ +60°C
Operation Wind
90 km/H
Survival Wind
180 km/H

Where are you located that you have TWO 1.8mtr dishes for Ku?

To answer your question...
Prime focus dishes usually have F/D ratios in the 0.3 to 0.4 range.
Flat scalars do the job.
Offset dishes usually have F/D ratios around 0.6 or 0.7.
They use conical scalars.

There are several US companies importing conical scalars, and I've not seen any documentation to recommend one over another.
Do you need some suggested sources?

Hi, well to answer the questions, this Ku dishes are a gift from a bussiness place and they use them for data, this type of dishes work on c band whit a scalar conical ring? they not are deep dishes are flat, my question is what type of conical scalar ring I can use? thanks in advance.

Conical scalars and C-band LNBFs at:
http://galaxy-marketing.com/
http://sadoun.com
Typically, C-band-only lnbfs work better than dual-band LNBFs.

Those data dishes are probably Prodelin, on fixed mounts.
We have a lot of info on them, and quite a few members using them for both bands.
Post some pictures and you will generate more interest.

And since the OP asked about buying SatAV microHD in Mexico, that probably answers that question.
We have a number of Mexican members who can often give better help, if they know where you are.
Especially about signal levels, etc.
Same goes for our Hawaiian or Carribbean members. :)

And if you are far enough east to get Cubavision on 30w, their movies are a treat on weekends.
(English sound with Spanish subtitles)
I'm in California, and too far west to see, but I'm jealous of those who can. ;)

Hi, the dishes are from a sportbook of Nogales Mx, they was aimed to intelsat 805 at 55.5 west for greyhound races and data, they borrow me these dishes but no lnb only the dishes and hardware, I dont know if the dishes use the conical scalar ring or only use the flat scalar ring for c band, the size is 1.80 meters. the conical scalar ring are for Ku dishes under 1.0 meters only? thanks!

data_antena2a.jpgI use chrome and I can upload the image, in IE dont!

Attachments

• data_antena2.jpg
    data_antena2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
The conical scalars I listed above are for C-band ONLY reception, on your dish.

If you want to use Ku band ONLY, all Ku LNBFs have built-in scalars and should work fine.

If you insist on BOTH Ku and C-band one one dish, there is no good & simple solution.

conical scalar ring are for Ku dishes under 1.0 meters only?
No. C band operation on an offset dish, of any size, requires, usually, a conical scalar. I say usually, because a few members here have found better performance with the flat scalar, some have found No scalar works best. YMMV.
Prime focus dish - F/D = .3 to .4 typical = flat scalar
Offset dish - F/D = .6 to .7 typical = conical scalar
Ku band LNBF's have a built in conical scalar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.