Optimum Online speeds are NUTS in my area

Hmm, 3535kbps up and 1575kbps up. I've got a brand new cable modem. It's through my wireless router though. Maybe it's slowing me down too much.

The Rickster

Holy Crap! I just checked the computers here at my work and their speeds are 66361 kbps Downstream and 12908 upstream. Any idea on what type of connection it may be?

Bill94, which wireless router are you using? I have a Linksys WRT54G and it only delivers approximately 6 Mgps download over the air. Hardwired with an Ethernet cable it delivers 13 to 14 Mgps. I don't have speed boost so my maximum would be only 15 Mgps.

BTW I had to communicate with Linksys to obtain the hardwire speed I am getting. It required updating the firmware.

kevlard1 said:
Holy Crap! I just checked the computers here at my work and their speeds are 66361 kbps Downstream and 12908 upstream. Any idea on what type of connection it may be?

I don't know but you've got double the bandwidth needed for uncompressed HDTV. A few more years fr these speeds to become more common, and satellite is in deep trouble....

martin21 said:
Bill94, which wireless router are you using? I have a Linksys WRT54G and it only delivers approximately 6 Mgps download over the air. Hardwired with an Ethernet cable it delivers 13 to 14 Mgps. I don't have speed boost so my maximum would be only 15 Mgps.

BTW I had to communicate with Linksys to obtain the hardwire speed I am getting. It required updating the firmware.

I have the D-Link DI 634M. Love it!!

BobMurdoch said:
On my home computer, I upgraded to Optimum Online Boost.

I ran speakeasy to test my connection (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ )

Downstream Speeds 28750K (28.75 Megs)
Upstream 1480K (1.5 Meg)

NICE!

No lag issues on XBox live for me....

I did so also. Is this a free upgrade? I hope its not just free for the first month.
There is a pay upgrade but I think that is for more speed.

Also have you taken advantage of there phone service? I have a huge number of phones attached to two different phone lines through Verizon. I need them all because my wife is restricted to a wheel chair. She drops the phone or misplaces it if she takes it along with her. Do you know if you need different phones for there service or can you the same one?

Again I hope the speed upgrade is a free one. Please advise. Thank you.

Ray S said:
I did so also. Is this a free upgrade? I hope its not just free for the first month.
There is a pay upgrade but I think that is for more speed.

Also have you taken advantage of there phone service? I have a huge number of phones attached to two different phone lines through Verizon. I need them all because my wife is restricted to a wheel chair. She drops the phone or misplaces it if she takes it along with her. Do you know if you need different phones for there service or can you the same one?

Again I hope the speed upgrade is a free one. Please advise. Thank you.

It's supposed to be a paid upgrade, but maybe they waived for those of us ONLY getting broadband service (and paying $10 for the privilege). My first bill was unchanged, I'll let you know if my rate goes up soon.....

BobMurdoch said:
It's supposed to be a paid upgrade, but maybe they waived for those of us ONLY getting broadband service (and paying $10 for the privilege). My first bill was unchanged, I'll let you know if my rate goes up soon.....

Thank you for the response. I get broadband and basic High Definition with their
Explorer 8300 HD. I may get rid of it when we can attach a hard drive to the 622. I also have the 921.

Have you noticed a big difference with the upgrade? I have downloaded some Mp3's but don't see any big difference. I have a Dell Demension 8400 XP with a Pentium 4 processor and 1GB of Ram. Does the amount of people on line in our area at one time affect speed? I think I heard somewhere that it does. I just checked my speed on the "Speed Checker". It ranged from about 5,380 to about 6, 800 Kbps. I have had speed at arount 8,000Kbps.

I didn't see a difference in my bill either. I am just wondering whether its worth it.

Last edited: