Options to add a new receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I have a SWM setup and one HR24-200 and one H24-200. I have the multiroom DVR service.

I would like to add another TV. There are plenty of ports on the green splitter (8 ports), and I tried my H24-200 in different rooms just to make sure they work (they do).

The extra TV I'm hooking up is a 27" SDTV. It has S-Video, Component video (480i), composite video and RF. I want to hook it up with the best possible connection, but I don't absolutely *need* HD on it (since it's not an HDTV), but I wouldn't be opposed to getting an HD receiver (in case that TV is replaced in the future).

What's my options for adding a receiver without causing any automatic contract extensions with DirecTV? Is e-bay or a third party store like Solidsignal.net enough? If I were to buy an H24 or D12 from one of those sources, would DirecTV automatically renew my contract?

I don't want my contract to renew, because when it's out I will move to cable for more HD channels. But I'm ok with DirecTV for now - despite missing a lot of HD the local cable company provides.

Thanks for your help!

I have a SWM setup and one HR24-200 and one H24-200. I have the multiroom DVR service.

I would like to add another TV. There are plenty of ports on the green splitter (8 ports), and I tried my H24-200 in different rooms just to make sure they work (they do).

The extra TV I'm hooking up is a 27" SDTV. It has S-Video, Component video (480i), composite video and RF. I want to hook it up with the best possible connection, but I don't absolutely *need* HD on it (since it's not an HDTV), but I wouldn't be opposed to getting an HD receiver (in case that TV is replaced in the future).

What's my options for adding a receiver without causing any automatic contract extensions with DirecTV? Is e-bay or a third party store like Solidsignal.net enough? If I were to buy an H24 or D12 from one of those sources, would DirecTV automatically renew my contract?

I don't want my contract to renew, because when it's out I will move to cable for more HD channels. But I'm ok with DirecTV for now - despite missing a lot of HD the local cable company provides.

Thanks for your help!

Its not where you get the recvr that triggers the contract, it's activating it....
ANY D* branded recvr you find will automatically activate a commitment when activated.
You won't find a OWNED H/HR 24, doubtful on the D series as well.

IF you were not opposed to the commitment, I would suggest getting another H/HR24 if possible so your ready when you upgrade the TV.

Well you do understand that only certain receivers will even work on an SWM dish. Other than the any of the H/HR/R22 receivers, the only others that will, are the R16 & D12 SD units. So you'll need to keep that in mind if you are going to try & find different receivers.

But with that said, it has always been my understanding, that ANY time you activate a new receiver (actually access card) on your account, regardless if the receiver is new or used &/or regardless who/where you bought it from, automatically starts you with a 2-year contract. (I do remember that activating only a plain SD receiver was 1 year, but they changed that to 2 years as well a year or 2 ago...)

And frankly, after seeing WAY more all the HD channels your cable co offers, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be tied to D* any longer myself... :rolleyes:

Wow, that really stinks. We just want to add a 3rd TV for someone moving in for a few months until they can get themselves on the right track and move on to their own apartment.

I was going to give them my H24 (currently hooked up to my 27" SDTV) to their bedroom to use for their 32" hdtv, then get whatever (SD or HD) for my 27" SDTV.

I do have a cable connection into the house for phone and internet, and my flat screen upstairs can get a lot of digital channels on it, but the SDTV downstairs does not have a QAM tuner, so it only gets channels 2-27 on the cable side... hence wanting a DirecTV Receiver for more channels.

Sucks that I didn't have the oversight to just place my initial DirecTV order with 3 receivers from the start, back in September. I wouldn't rush into this situation. But back then I thought that every other provider is enhancing their HD offerings, and as big of a name that DirecTV is, it's only a matter of time until they finally catch up. After all, they had that new D12 Satellite. Now seeing how they move at such glacial speeds, I don't want my contract extended a second longer, because the day it's up, I'm going to my cable company which has WAY more HD.

I guess with a roommate, I could have them pay for a DTA so my SDTV gets more than 27 channels on the cable side. At least with cable there are no contracts.

Wow, that really stinks. We just want to add a 3rd TV for someone moving in for a few months until they can get themselves on the right track and move on to their own apartment.

I was going to give them my H24 (currently hooked up to my 27" SDTV) to their bedroom to use for their 32" hdtv, then get whatever (SD or HD) for my 27" SDTV.

I do have a cable connection into the house for phone and internet, and my flat screen upstairs can get a lot of digital channels on it, but the SDTV downstairs does not have a QAM tuner, so it only gets channels 2-27 on the cable side... hence wanting a DirecTV Receiver for more channels.

Sucks that I didn't have the oversight to just place my initial DirecTV order with 3 receivers from the start, back in September. I wouldn't rush into this situation. But back then I thought that every other provider is enhancing their HD offerings, and as big of a name that DirecTV is, it's only a matter of time until they finally catch up. After all, they had that new D12 Satellite. Now seeing how they move at such glacial speeds, I don't want my contract extended a second longer, because the day it's up, I'm going to my cable company which has WAY more HD.

I guess with a roommate, I could have them pay for a DTA so my SDTV gets more than 27 channels on the cable side. At least with cable there are no contracts.

If you are willing to pay $199 for a new HR-24, another option might be to find yourself a 26 or, maybe even 32 inch LCD HDTV with a QAM tuner. Now you can get those extra channels you were talking about with no contract and, replace an SDTV with an upgraded HD model which will provide you benefits past this person moving back out I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Another option is to simply mirror the HDDVR's. If the rooms are close enough, you could use an RF remote.

Hmm... From DirecTV:

Can I activate a used receiver?
DIRECTV allows the activation of used receivers under the following conditions:

The used receiver cannot be active on another DIRECTV account
The used receiver must be a previously owned unit, if the receiver was previously leased on an account it cannot be activated and must be returned to DIRECTV
The receiver must have a Receiver ID Number, older models without an Receiver ID Number cannot be reactivated because they do not support DIRECTV's current technology
If you meet this criteria, call us at 1-800-DIRECTV to order a new access card. We'll send you a new access card and a postage-paid envelope to return the old card. Please note that a $20 fee will be apply for the new card.

Once you receive the new access card and install the receiver call us at 1-800-531-5000 to activate. Make sure to mention that you have pre-owned equipment and want to activate programming.

Hmm... From DirecTV:

Can I activate a used receiver?
DIRECTV allows the activation of used receivers under the following conditions:

The used receiver cannot be active on another DIRECTV account
The used receiver must be a previously owned unit, if the receiver was previously leased on an account it cannot be activated and must be returned to DIRECTV
The receiver must have a Receiver ID Number, older models without an Receiver ID Number cannot be reactivated because they do not support DIRECTV's current technology
If you meet this criteria, call us at 1-800-DIRECTV to order a new access card. We'll send you a new access card and a postage-paid envelope to return the old card. Please note that a $20 fee will be apply for the new card.

Once you receive the new access card and install the receiver call us at 1-800-531-5000 to activate. Make sure to mention that you have pre-owned equipment and want to activate programming.

Soooo, does your situation qualify ?

You need to find a OWNED recvr, as they mentioned a LEASED recvr needs to be returned.

Note: Thier response said NOTHING about a commitment, you might want to reply and ask them about that too.

Jimbo said:
Soooo, does your situation qualify ?

You need to find a OWNED recvr, as they mentioned a LEASED recvr needs to be returned.

Note: Thier response said NOTHING about a commitment, you might want to reply and ask them about that too.

Well there is a reputable person selling OWNED receivers, and I'm just going to get a D12 with a BSF for this lesser used SDTV.

They say to ask for a new access card ($20) an when I get it and install it, call and ask for the access card department to activate it, as a regular CSR tends to renew the contract without asking.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well there is a reputable person selling OWNED receivers, and I'm just going to get a D12 with a BSF for this lesser used SDTV.

They say to ask for a new access card ($20) an when I get it and install it, call and ask for the access card department to activate it, as a regular CSR tends to renew the contract without asking.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What is a BSF ?

BSF= Band Stop Filter will only pass sat signal and not MVR or internet frequincys to standard/sd-dvr's

Its required if you have MVR on your account and standard gear along with green lable splitters and power sender

Only way to get around 2 year contract or 1 year with SD box is to pay full retail price to directv

all prices are approx from the top of my head

SD 200
SD DVR 400
HD 300 or 400
HDDVR 500

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts