Options to get H25 working with older dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Trying to help a friend with his second home setup that he disconnected a couple years ago.
Ffrom the ground I see his dish has 3 lnb's and a small box with 4 wires running into house where he used to have H22 or H24 receivers, all of which he turned in except for the B Band converters.
He just showed up with a new H25 box that I know needs special accessories to work with this olde dish whose model designation I'm not sure of. I would like to help him without replacing the entire dish and doing a whole new alignment.
Was told he could get a power inserter for the H25 and some other boxes and/or lnb that might make this work?
Any help would be appreciated as to what he needs to order.
/

Trying to help a friend with his second home setup that he disconnected a couple years ago.
Ffrom the ground I see his dish has 3 lnb's and a small box with 4 wires running into house where he used to have H22 or H24 receivers, all of which he turned in except for the B Band converters.
He just showed up with a new H25 box that I know needs special accessories to work with this olde dish whose model designation I'm not sure of. I would like to help him without replacing the entire dish and doing a whole new alignment.
Was told he could get a power inserter for the H25 and some other boxes and/or lnb that might make this work?
Any help would be appreciated as to what he needs to order.
/

H25 requires a SWM dish set up.

SWM set up requires a Power Supply, without the correct equipment the recvr will not see the LNB as it doesn't have the proper power to supply to the LNB as the older Non SWM set up did.

Thank for response, but could someone tell me what type of gear I need to make this work.
I understand I need a power suply, but which one? And don't I need some type of switch, ie SW8 or whatever it's called?
As I said I am hoping to adapt his current dish for the H25 so I don't have to change the lnb and do a whole new alignment.
BTW, failed to note ion my original post that I was able to connect my H24 with B Band to his dish aqnd select Slimline 3 in setup and evertying worked fine.
T

Longjack said:
Thank for response, but could someone tell me what type of gear I need to make this work.
I understand I need a power suply, but which one? And don't I need some type of switch, ie SW8 or whatever it's called?
As I said I am hoping to adapt his current dish for the H25 so I don't have to change the lnb and do a whole new alignment.
BTW, failed to note ion my original post that I was able to connect my H24 with B Band to his dish aqnd select Slimline 3 in setup and evertying worked fine.
T

Either install a SWM8 or replace the lnb for a normal SWM lnb. As for power supplies, you need a PI21 (21 volt power supply). Only need the splitter if you decide not to go the easy way and just get everything. If you do go with the SWM8 you'll need a PI29 (29 volt power supply) and a swm splitter. I personally would just get a swm lnb and a PI21

A swm lnb is cheaper than a swm8 switch, so I would go with the new lnb if I was you. Like Hutch said, don't forget the power inserter.

Where did he get the H25 from?

It would probably be less expensive to just call DirecTV and tell them you need to schedule a $49 installation of an H25.

Thanks everyone for the replies and help...as to schdueling an appt. in this case the vacation place is way, way out there.
One last question...if we replace the lnb, does not that require re-aligning dish? If so, I've been there and done that without meter and it is a challenge I would like to avoid.
So if a new lnb would require a dish re-aligment, I could instead go with a SWM8 switch, 29V Power Inserter and a 4 way splitter?
Many thanks again to everyone!

Thanks everyone for the replies and help...as to schdueling an appt. in this case the vacation place is way, way out there.
One last question...if we replace the lnb, does not that require re-aligning dish? If so, I've been there and done that without meter and it is a challenge I would like to avoid.
So if a new lnb would require a dish re-aligment, I could instead go with a SWM8 switch, 29V Power Inserter and a 4 way splitter?
Many thanks again to everyone!

You could, but installing a new lnb isn't likely to require a realignment as long as you are careful not to move the dish in the process.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)