Wow!

Attachments

• cspan_orby.png
    cspan_orby.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 853
  • orby_tnt.jpg
    orby_tnt.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 574
Man that is small. :D I had to download and blow it up.

Those are really low bitrates. They have basically carved up a 55mb stream into a bunch of SD channels. In 2019, that's a big FAIL in my opinion
Why is this fail? Have you seen the service yet?

Most SD channels on satellites like 97w Ku and 117w C use 5x the bandwidth and look like absolute crap. I was amazed how good the SD channels looked and now even more impressed after seeing the bandwidth used.

Reactions: wvman and k.r.

Most SD channels on satellites like 97w Ku and 117w C use 5x the bandwidth and look like absolute crap. I was amazed how good the SD channels looked and now even more impressed after seeing the bandwidth used.

What size TV set are you watching on out of curiosity?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Remember this is MPEG4 HEVC which means you can put a lot of data into very little bandwidth.

Everyone who has it seems surprised how good the picture quality is.

The new compression is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell

I agree. Looks great for so little bandwidth. I’m impressed. Looks like the “HD” is maxing out around 4Mbps at peak but in a range from 1.3 to 4Mbps.

Reactions: Titanium
I agree. Looks great for so little bandwidth. I’m impressed. Looks like the “HD” is maxing out around 4Mbps at peak but in a range from 1.3 to 4Mbps.
And I believe that may be higher bitrate then what DISH is serving their HD at (in MPEG4, I dont believe they are using HEVC yet)

Remember this is MPEG4 HEVC which means you can put a lot of data into very little bandwidth.

Everyone who has it seems surprised how good the picture quality is.

The new compression is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I can only think in 5 to 10 years dish maybe back to the dish 300 they maybe not need a fleet with new compression.

Reactions: trojan67
Amazing how much HEVC signals can be compressed and still look better than the same channels viewed on my Suddenlink cable service!

Yep, Mpeg4 HEVC is about 1/5 the bandwidth of a comparable standard Mpeg2 signal. People just aren't yet used to comparing the two on one to one basis.

So, multiply those bandwidths by 5 to compare to what we have been used to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated here previously that all of Orby's channels are SD? If that is true, then why is everyone so excited about it? I am not interested in SD channels. I can't imagine the majority of consumers in today's marketplace are interested in SD channels.

No, we have posted in multiple threads that the channels are a mix of HD and SD resolutions.

Here is a list that was posted of the channels distributed in HD resolution:
“HD” Channels this is what CS said:

TNT
TBS
AMC
A&E
Comedy Central
Lifetime
Own
We tv
Discovery
History
ID
HGTV
Food Network
Animal Planet
TLC
Nick[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated here previously that all of Orby's channels are SD?
It is all relative. As Brian noted, if you're used to 97W or DIRECTV SD, Orby SD probably looks quite good.

For someone who doesn't/can't have a relatively complicated FTA setup, good access to streaming or is just too stubborn to pay for something else DBS, it is probably better than most one-of-many streams on an OTA channel.

Netflix and Amazon Prime carry an awful lot of SD content and nobody is really flaming on them (although I've been pretty pissy about their AQ in some cases).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated here previously that all of Orby's channels are SD? If that is true, then why is everyone so excited about it? I am not interested in SD channels. I can't imagine the majority of consumers in today's marketplace are interested in SD channels.

I think most people would be interested more in the bottom price, AND the fact they would have access to some "cable channels". This is clearly marketed to people without high speed internet and/or with horrible caps on data.

There's also plenty of people around the country that can NOT get OTA tv through an antenna, even if put outside. Way outside the DMA main area, near mountains, etc. Don't know if ATSC 3.0 will change that any, maybe.

Once somebody like that shells out for the receiver and installation, they are very likely to keep subscribing.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts