Ordered a 922 VIP Sling versus an old 622. Hope I made the right choice.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hey all,
So I called Dish yesterday because I wanted to upgrade an existing Dish 200 series SD receiver to HD. This is primarily for Slingbox, which I already have a Slingbox 350. So on the phone they said I can upgrade to either a 622 or 922 with Sling. I thought that was funny since the 622 came out in 2006. Anyways, went with the 922 with Sling. I have heard a lot of horror stories about 922 dying. The good thing is I am leasing the box (Not sure why someone would buy as you still have to pay the $7 either way for the receiver). Anyways, I am going to use my Sling 350 with it instead of the already built in Sling on the 922 because I have also heard bad thing about the built in Sling on the 922.
Basically there is no real question here, I just hope I made the right choice as I couldn't see getting a 7 year old receiver compared to the new(ish) 922. Also I already have a 622 and really like it, so I wanted to try the newer receiver. Any input would be great. What everyone thinks about the 922 sling versus the old 622 and any general experiences. Like I say, the 922, which is the newer box, will be basically for sling use only, this is since my dad is very familiar with the 622 in the living room, and he isn't much of a fan of change.
GIslands.

You are probably not going to receive much if any positive feedback regarding the 922. It is generally ill-regarded, as one of the few "fails" from Dish. You should seriously consider the much superior and reliable Hopper with Sling (or the previous Hopper 2000 without Sling).

Under no condition would I get the 922. A 722 or 612 (if not the Hopper) is a far far better choice. From your post you did read some about all the problems with it, dying is just the tip of the iceberg (tm), so I guess you will be prepared for the armageddon. :) :)

Yep, just to turn the final proverbial screw. Unit sucks and you pay more to use it.

The 922 is dishes red headed step child.....Over 2 years its been replaced 3 times....and I use the sling part everyday.

Yeah, maybe I should see if I could just get one hopper with out joeys. It feels like a bit of a waste though since it would really only be used as a single (dual tuner) I guess receiver. Like I said, my dad is pretty set and happy with the 622.

Okay, so here is my set up, let me know what you guys think: 1 622 in the main room, and 2 solo 311, or 211 (Just the simple SD receiver) on other TV's. My plan was to have one of those 211's replaced so I could use a sling box and an HD receiver. So I could get the Hopper and two Joeys for those rooms right? And sling one of the Joeys (since I have a separate sling box). Now would that Hopper still have dual tuners, making a total of 4 tuners (Hopper with 2, and 2 Joeys each as their own)?

You'll way more complaints on the 922 than anything else but I myself had very few problems and really enjoyed the receiver. For the money, the Hopper is by far the best choice though.

You can get a Hopper and a Joey then return the Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Okay, so here is my set up, let me know what you guys think: 1 622 in the main room, and 2 solo 311, or 211 (Just the simple SD receiver) on other TV's. My plan was to have one of those 211's replaced so I could use a sling box and an HD receiver. So I could get the Hopper and two Joeys for those rooms right? And sling one of the Joeys (since I have a separate sling box). Now would that Hopper still have dual tuners, making a total of 4 tuners (Hopper with 2, and 2 Joeys each as their own)?

No tuners in the Joeys, they share the Hopper's 3 timers. You cannot have 3xx or ViP 6xx or 7xx receivers on the same account as a Hopper.

Maybe you'll get lucky like me. I upgraded to the 922 about 6 months after it came out, primarily for the sling feature. Have had no problems with it - rebooted it twice since I got it. The sling was flaky at first, but almost always works well for me now, and I use it a lot on laptops, android phones, an Ipad and even the ipod touch. It has very good OTA sensitivity. I'll be astonished if the Hoppers USB OTA is as good - no other TV (of 5) or DTV OTA has gotten all the channels the 900 gets on the same antenna, especially one VHF HD channel. YMMV. My only complaint is fan noise, but mine is in a closed, but open back, cabinet, so is isn't annoying.

Yeah, I am still a fan of trying to scan for OTA signals. I was thinking about, I guess I would say "investing" in this since it costs so much, the Mohu Sky HDTV antenna. People love the thing, which is crazy since it costs $170. But I think after going back and forth I am going to stick it out and have the 922 installed. While the Hopper seems awesome, I think this is the simpler way to go. Also I got the upgrade for like $50 for the install only.
Has anyone used the slingbox HD with a WDTV or any other box that has the Slingplayer app and plugs directly in to the tv? I was wondering the quality. I have pretty good internet at home (30mbps down, 6 up) and will have pretty good internet at the other location where I will use sling (50mbps down, 10 up).

No, you don't have a proper handle on it. The Hopper is the main component, a three tuner DVR (four with optional OTA module). Joeys are the "satellites", or access points to the Hopper. They have no tuners of their own and do not sling. Hopper with Sling is internal. Older Hopper would use your standalone sling. So, your choice as to which one. The Hopper w/o sling should cost you the same as the crummy 922.

A Sling Box would probably work with a Joey, but a Sling Adapter would not.

If he has a Sling Box all he has to do is connect it to the HDMI or component outputs on the Joey and get the IR codes for he Joey to the IR blaster from the Sling Box to work with the Joey.

I understand now. Hopper is 3 tuners in it's box, the two joeys use two of the three tuners in the hopper, hopper uses the other one. So even to complicate things more, how does Primetime anytime work? Doesn't it have to record from ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX? So wouldn't that be 4 tuners without anyone watching anything else?

Almost. Any connected Joey and the Hopper itself can use any available tuner or can access DVR'd material - or the OTA tuner. You can have up to 3 Joeys connected to a Hopper at any given time.

PTAT works by using a single tuner to capture the entire signal off a single satellite transponder. Then it pulls those four programming streams out. Each transponder encodes several channels in a single stream. The number varies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts