ordering direct tv tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi,

I've decided to place an order for direct tv tomorrow (not sure where I'll purchase from yet though); I really appreciate all of the help from everyone here (thanks for answering my questions).

However, I am still unclear on a couple things:

I require 5 seperate tuners, but no HD or international programming, and no dvr tivo (at least for now).

1. Do I need ONLY a single LNB dish and a 3x8 switch? The single LNB dish has 2 coax cables connected from it to the house (correct)?

2. Is the switch essentially acting as a "splitter." That is, will taking the 2 coax inputs and making 8 outputs drastically lower the signal quality?

and 3. The specs of a 3x8 switch say that the third input is for an "off air antenna." I will be getting local channels and internet from my cable company. Will the cable (from my cable company) just plug into this 3rd input so that I may receive local channels on each television?

Thanks again.

Oh...btw, with all of the deals out their (x-room installation free...), who actually owns the equipment (us, or them)?

Check with ValueElectrnics.COM they can answer all your questions, plus tell them your a SatelliteGuys member and they will take extra good care of you. :)

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I would highly recommend getting the phase-III lnb (three satellite) dish now. You may not need the 2nd or 3rd satellites now, but if your locals are on 119 (main programming is on 101) or you upgrade to HD, your dish will be ready for it.

Unless you plan on getting HD within the next year or two you'll be fine with a Single LNB. You would own the equipment even though you would get it for free. Also the Cable would probably have to be ran to each room because on the back of each reciever is an Antenna input where you would connect it for your locals, at least this is my guess.

Darkwing Duck said:
Unless you plan on getting HD within the next year or two you'll be fine with a Single LNB. You would own the equipment even though you would get it for free. Also the Cable would probably have to be ran to each room because on the back of each reciever is an Antenna input where you would connect it for your locals, at least this is my guess.

No offense, but... huh??? :confused:

Scott Greczkowski said:
Check with ValueElectrnics.COM they can answer all your questions, plus tell them your a SatelliteGuys member and they will take extra good care of you. :)
Not trying to highjack the thread, but I am choosing between ValueElectronics and my local GoodGuys. GG has 40hr DirecTivo + 2 basic receivers for free + $50 MIR. The h/w is RCA. Any reason to go with ValueElectronics?

al said:
caeyathompson
Get the Phase 3 dish and a 5x8 switch. Neuron is correct, you may need it later.

Al

My response was to Darkwing Duck. I have no clue what he is trying to say.

mammothskier said:
Not trying to highjack the thread, but I am choosing between ValueElectronics and my local GoodGuys. GG has 40hr DirecTivo + 2 basic receivers for free + $50 MIR. The h/w is RCA. Any reason to go with ValueElectronics?
I am not ValueElectronics, but give them a call, tell them your a SatelliteGuys member and see what they can do for you. :)

It dosent hurt to try. :D

Darkwing Duck said:

what you talkin bout Willis?

So lets see...if I got Dish Network and my locals were on 119 and I got Top60, I should get a Dish300?

Thats basically what you're saying

It's either get the phase-III dish now with the installation, or pay for it later when you would need it. It's cheaper in the long run to get it now than to wait until you absolutely need it.

You're basically futureproofing yourself on the dish side for whenever you upgrade to HD or locals.

Well, true, but as of right now that's vaporware and will only be for HD for now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts